Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New coach at Harlan County?

Featured Replies

Okay, so theoretically let’s say that YOU (whoever you are) are hiring the new coach. Given the current talent at the three schools (junior level and below), what kind of coach would you look for in lieu of their offensive and defensive systems? In layman terms, what type of offense/defense will best suit the talent that is going to be coming to the new school? I know this will not be the deciding factor in who they hire, but it could be a fun topic to discuss.

  • Replies 161
  • Views 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people will probably say a system that spreads the field with 3, 4, and 5 wides, but in my opinion i think a system like a Duddley's or matney's would suit the talent of the county best. Some type of three back system, ball control and shorten the game type deal. On the other side of the ball, i think alot of different schemes could be adapted to the talent within the county.

This is very interesting and i look forward to seeing other opinions about this.

Having said that what about Jay Cobb. When this thing first came about his name was mentioned up there with Duddley's and some of the others. He is one that i forgot about.

I definitely think the offense should be a run-oriented scheme. I'm not sure if Harlan County has the athletes to run a spread, shotgun offense. Josh Caldwell was the starting quarterback his freshman year at Cawood. He didn't play last season, but I think he has a lot of potential at QB position. He is close to 6'5" and has a good build. If a spread offense was implemented, I think Caldwell would fit the bill as signal caller.

 

As far as the defensive side of the ball goes, I would not mind seeing Eric Perry's 5-2 scheme applied. His defense is always disciplined and successful.

I know it is a long shot, but has anyone thought about Ken Roark from Middlesboro? I know he has an established program down there but he seems to not be getting the talent year in year out that he used to. He has a ring... who knows? I think he deserves a look anyway.

 

 

Are you serious? Anybody that knows the Middlesboro program knows that we have had more than our share of talent recently. Specialty positions (QB, RB, TE, WR) have been very talented the last ten years. They have had the talent to win at least one more ring since 98' but Roark shoots himself in the foot by not pushing weight lifting at all. Therefore, it isn't the talent that he doesn't get, he just doesn't put any size on his players.

 

Middlesboro is always small and quick up front but against the best teams, they get exploited. Hence the reason that they always make it deep into the playoffs but rarely all the way.

Are you serious? Anybody that knows the Middlesboro program knows that we have had more than our share of talent recently. Specialty positions (QB, RB, TE, WR) have been very talented the last ten years. They have had the talent to win at least one more ring since 98' but Roark shoots himself in the foot by not pushing weight lifting at all. Therefore, it isn't the talent that he doesn't get, he just doesn't put any size on his players.

 

Middlesboro is always small and quick up front but against the best teams, they get exploited. Hence the reason that they always make it deep into the playoffs but rarely all the way.

 

I think I hit a nerve with that one. Obviously you feel strongly about this topic...

Sorry for my brief absence, I had some things out of town to tend to the last couple of days. I'm at least glad to see that the posters on here seem to have some knowledge of the game, because I fully expected to see tons of supporters with the ideas of "airing it out" in the new school. For me, I would agree with the importance of a running attack, but my system wouldn't be as much 2 tight end 3 back oriented. An argument has always been made that "wide open" offenses will always have problems stopping the run, and for the most part, I do agree with that line of thought. However, I think the same can be said that alot of true smashmouth teams would have trouble stopping a balanced, or wide open attack. I think the reasoning behind this is merely that teams in a practice setting are going to see more of the team offense (at least once a week in the season, and probobly throughout most of the summer) than that of some of their opponents. For me, I'd prefer a zone running scheme and short passing game, and alot of deep passing through play action. Not exactly knowing what level of talent will be at the new school, I'm not sure what kind of athletes will be present, so I'm being kind of vague. I love watching smashmouth offenses when they are clicking, but I think that on the 5A level, the new school will have to be a threat vertically, or they will have trouble advancing come playoff time. Very seldom can a team rely on three back sets and go all the way, and although the talent pool may be significantly high at the new school, I just don't see them lining up and overpowering all of the opponents on their level

I think I hit a nerve with that one. Obviously you feel strongly about this topic...

 

Let's just say that Roark has underachieved with the talent that he has been blessed with. He did win a state championship but who couldn't have with that 98' team. Unbelievable talent.

Even Dudley throws the ball some. He now has 3 passing plays in his playbook counting the screen and the Hail Mary. You can't allow teams to put 10 in the box. A balanced offense is needed to win in the playoffs.

Just wanted to let everyone know a thread is started on this same topic in the basketball forum, if you want to discuss another coaching position at the new school.

I have heard that Jim Matney has shown interest in this job.

 

I know nothing about Matney. Could anyone post his overall record, and some of his accomplishments as a head coach?

I have heard that Jim Matney has shown interest in this job.

 

I know nothing about Matney. Could anyone post his overall record, and some of his accomplishments as a head coach?

 

If You want Matney, you'd better have a blank check. Central has given him the moon and they are currently in negotiations to obtain the stars.

 

Matney will not leave JCHS for any job other than one. Should not take very long to figure out which job that one is.

He may be the last man on the list for all I know. I did hear that he has shown interest. Even though Central has given him "the moon," Matney may want to try his hand at building a program from ground up.

 

It is going to be interesting to see who actually is hired as the coach.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.