Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New coach at Harlan County?

Featured Replies

had not thought about it that way so maybe he might be interested. I would think for one reason or another many people will become interested when it gets closer.

  • Replies 161
  • Views 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there is one thing about it. This hiring is closer than ever. This time next year Harlan County Black Bears will have its new and first head football coach. As a matter of fact, I would say they will hire someone by next December after the football season ends.

Is Mark Woolum the same guy as Tuck Woolum? I have heard that Tuck was interested in the job. Tuck wasn't successful at Union College, or Pineville High School. I hope he doesn't get this job. He may know football, but past experiences go a long way.

What is it about the mountains that calls us back after making a successful escape? Mark Woolum has been in FL. for a few years now and from what I here has had some success there, but FL. talent and southeast KY. talent are miles and miles apart. This is not to suggest that he would not be a very good canidate for this job, but after coaching the speed that is in FL. and coming back home where there is basicly none and he may spend many long nights thinking about palm trees. Also Mark is Tuck's younger brother (much younger) lol.

He may be a great candidate for the job. I would like to see someone who has experience in this region, though.

Who says Florida's speed is greater than ours. lol

Lungbuster, that's what I am screaming. Have these people not been out to see Harlan County speed lately.

How about Jim Matney. I have heard his name thrown around also.

The best possible coach that Harlan County can get is who I am for. That might be someone from Florida, California or even Harlan. It doesn't really matter just the best and i can't wait. I think its going to be the beginning of something special.

Lungbuster, I couldn't agree with you more. This is the most exciting time I have seen in Harlan County since the coal boom back in the day. I would love to see Harlan Countians pull together and work together to make this thing great. I am hearing that this school will be like no other. The facilites will be off the chart and it will be great for the kids of Harlan County.

I think Matney would be a dandy. I think his style fits Harlan County as good as anybody that has been mentioned. However, pulling him away might be a hard task. He seems to like it were he is but who knows.

Whyme, you said they would hire a coach next december after the last football season. Is this something you know or assume. If i remember correct,

didn't Letcher hire all there coaches after the season of that sport. I can remember them having a news conference that was packed to announce the football coach and i believe they did it right after the season. I was excited for them myself. I hope Harlan County does it this way too. Then after Basketball they can hire both girls/ boys coach and then right on down the line. It will be an exciting time for Harlan County Sports.

Lungbuster, I don't have a crystal ball or anything like that, I just assumed that they would hire a coach after the football season is over.

In hiring a new coach right after the season, and without the new school being complete, the new coach would sure have to be sound from an organizational aspect, since all three teams would still be training in their respective schools. Exactly how would a person get all of these kids together to promote some unity before the summer practices start? I just thought of that for some reason, but it is definately an issue that will have to be adressed by the new football coach

I've heard rumors for 2 years about maybe moving Evarts/Cawood together in fall of 07, and also I've heard Cumberland/Cawood. I could see some advantage both in Sports and in just getting a school spirit together from doing this, but I know Cumberland and Evarts fans would like a final season before consolidation? Any of you future Black Bears have any insight, or is it just rumour.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.