Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New coach at Harlan County?

Featured Replies

Dragonpappy, after i went back and read my post it almost seemed as cold as my mother in laws heart. (lol) I had a bad day at work.

what i should of said was i have no idea what effect it will have.

I feel better know that i have a little food in my big belly.

  • Replies 161
  • Views 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dragonpappy, with all do respect, the contract between the city and the county was good for the city but not for the county. It was one of the dumbest things the county school board has done in a while. Things were starting to get better for the county as far as leveling enrollment by the county but now, who knows where it will go.

Dragonpappy, after i went back and read my post it almost seemed as cold as my mother in laws heart. (lol) I had a bad day at work.

what i should of said was i have no idea what effect it will have.

I feel better know that i have a little food in my big belly.

No worries Lungbuster, I've had a bad day or two, and got carried away in a post or two. :thumb:

Dragonpappy, with all do respect, the contract between the city and the county was good for the city but not for the county. It was one of the dumbest things the county school board has done in a while. Things were starting to get better for the county as far as leveling enrollment by the county but now, who knows where it will go.

 

I disagree with respect. I think it was well thought out. But, I hesitate to debate it here on a football thread. Only thing I will say about it, is that very few additional students were added to Harlan. It just let Harlan get paid for the students they had plus a very few more. It helped Harlan financially, but it won't boost enrollment much. What it does for the county is put the issue behind them, makes them look more reasonable since they have contracts with every other system bordering Harlan County. Again remember the money for the students going to school at Harlan High, who lived in the county just sat in Frankfort, nobody got it without the contract. Harlan County didn't get it. Harlan High didn't get it. It just sat there or went to Henry Clay, Leslie County or who knows. The contract just released the funds. That way at least the money is spent in Harlan County, which benefits everybody. The 5 year relief it gives is 5 years for the County to open the new school, prove it is going to make education better, establish its sports teams, and remove some of the reasons folks want their kids at Harlan Ind. If they are successful, problem will take care of itself. Hey, I said I wouldn't comment a lot. Sorry guys.

Dragonpappy, with all do respect, the contract between the city and the county was good for the city but not for the county. It was one of the dumbest things the county school board has done in a while. Things were starting to get better for the county as far as leveling enrollment by the county but now, who knows where it will go.

 

 

Do you think there could have been some state influence in the decision made by the county board? This is pure speculation, but could the state have encouraged the county into agreeing with the non resident contract by allowing the county the extra funds it badly needed to finish the new consolidated school prodject?

Do you think there could have been some state influence in the decision made by the county board? This is pure speculation, but could the state have encouraged the county into agreeing with the non resident contract by allowing the county the extra funds it badly needed to finish the new consolidated school prodject?

Interesting thought

Do you think there could have been some state influence in the decision made by the county board? This is pure speculation, but could the state have encouraged the county into agreeing with the non resident contract by allowing the county the extra funds it badly needed to finish the new consolidated school prodject?

 

 

If that's the case, what's the delay on the state money?

I don't know but i wouldn't think the state would get involved unless someone with the Dragon's has some REAL PULL. Some say everything as far as money goes is good. However, with the cost that rose because of this and that maybe not. I have heard the school is going to be around 50 million when is all said and done when first quoted around 30 million. This is the kicker- i think they could have got 100 million if that was what was needed if the people would of worked together. The rep from knox/clay got knox central over a million for a fieldhouse which is unheard of. The size and power that Harlan could have if we all worked together would be second to none.

But sense everyone is pulling in different directions why would anybody want to help someone that can't help themselves. Just food for thought

Heck if I know, I was playing the "what if" game. A good reporter would get to the bottom of this:lol: :lol: :lol:

Some of it could have gone to the massive funds needed to feed those big bellies on the Thursday night coaches corner hahaha. And I want everyone to know that I'm just acting a fool

Do you think there could have been some state influence in the decision made by the county board? This is pure speculation, but could the state have encouraged the county into agreeing with the non resident contract by allowing the county the extra funds it badly needed to finish the new consolidated school prodject?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Brain this is hitting the nail right on the head, sometimes it takes longer for things to be worked out at the state level, but rest asured that this had a higher infulence (if you will) involved.

Brain this is hitting the nail right on the head, sometimes it takes longer for things to be worked out at the state level, but rest asured that this had a higher infulence (if you will) involved.

I do think the state prefers districts to be able to work out these agreements. And they should work them out. I think the County Board wanted to put the issue behind them. I think to some administrators, Harlan Ind. has become a personal issue, clouding judgement. I think Farmer and most of the Board recognized this and acted in the best interest of all. But hey, my opinion only.

I don't believe the Harlan County Board was elected to act on the best interest of all. They were elected to act on the best interest of the Harlan county district. Without getting hot and bothered over this it is easy for me to see that for whatever reason they didn't do this. I understand that both sides can argue and argue some good points. People has to realize that the 70's and early 80's are gone. The County can't afford to keep up two districts anymore. I also don't beleive the ADMINISTRATORS have anything against the Ind. district. They are simple trying to move the county district in the right direction. With the way the county as a whole is going, i hate to see what people will think after this board and administration is gone because money is only going to keep getting tighter and things will only get worse. I can almost bet that when the next administration takes over things will become worse with contracts and things of that nature. It's not just Harlan, look around at districts within the state, these type things are going on all over. What i hear people say alot about Harlan Ind. is that they need to learn to live within their means. Take the kids that they have and do their thing and let the county do the same. The County has made great strides in academics. The elem. and middle schools throughout the county have come along way in a short time. They have caught and or exceeded the Ind. district in many ways. The high schools have still got work but are headed in the right direction and with the new school will only get better. Therefore, if parents still decide to send their kids to the city then they need to move into that district or the city needs to fit the bill. I just think that we agree to disagree

I don't believe the Harlan County Board was elected to act on the best interest of all. They were elected to act on the best interest of the Harlan county district. Without getting hot and bothered over this it is easy for me to see that for whatever reason they didn't do this. I understand that both sides can argue and argue some good points. People has to realize that the 70's and early 80's are gone. The County can't afford to keep up two districts anymore. I also don't beleive the ADMINISTRATORS have anything against the Ind. district. They are simple trying to move the county district in the right direction. With the way the county as a whole is going, i hate to see what people will think after this board and administration is gone because money is only going to keep getting tighter and things will only get worse. I can almost bet that when the next administration takes over things will become worse with contracts and things of that nature. It's not just Harlan, look around at districts within the state, these type things are going on all over. What i hear people say alot about Harlan Ind. is that they need to learn to live within their means. Take the kids that they have and do their thing and let the county do the same. The County has made great strides in academics. The elem. and middle schools throughout the county have come along way in a short time. They have caught and or exceeded the Ind. district in many ways. The high schools have still got work but are headed in the right direction and with the new school will only get better. Therefore, if parents still decide to send their kids to the city then they need to move into that district or the city needs to fit the bill. I just think that we agree to disagree

I guess so, but I could say that the County is having probs. living within their means as well. All I would hope for is independent thinking. Your post is the company line. Truth be told, my opinion is if I pay taxes and taxes support public education, I should have the choice of any public school I want being paid to educate my child. If I wanted to send my 12 year old to Wallins because its a great middle school, then to Harlan , because its a great high school, why shouldn't I be allowed to do so? Parents should be deciding this, not anyone else. But you are probably right that we will just have to agree to disagree.

Well again i will have to disagree. The statement about living within one's means was directed only about kids and boundaries. I have never seen were the county has wanted to take kids within the city district. Those are kids for the city to educate. Likewise, kids who live within the county are kids for the county to educate. So from that perspective the county has and is living within their means. The statement about my tax dollars and my choice of were to send my child is something that sounds very good and is something that looks great on paper. However, as of right now thats not how our system is set up. With school choice and Vouchers gaining popularity maybe sometime in the near future your wish may come true but as for now thats not the way it works. I think as of now that both districts do a good job of educating our youth and there is not a need to cross lines. Each district has its strong points and each district has things they need to work on. If for some reason you feel that Wallins is better for your child you have several choices. You need to move into the county district or you need to fit the bill yourself. As far as each district fitting the bill as mentioned earlier those days are long gone. Finally, i would like to add that test scores are just one of many factors you should look at in determining a schools success or failure. They are many many things that make up a quality school and scores are only one of them. Like i said before i understand that both sides have very good points so this is my last post about this. Again we can agree to disagree. Hey, we can make the school big enough for you all also (LOL)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.