West Carter at Middlesboro Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• West Carter
    • Middlesboro

Middlesboro is having the quietest undefeated season in the state. Last week's 43-33 win over Breathitt County was the closest game for the Yellowjackets since their opening 22-20 win over Hazard. As you would expect of an undefeated team, Middlesboro gets it done on both sides of the ball. Their defense is #6 in 2A and their offense is #4, scoring 43.1 points per game. The offense is a big play offense. RB Caleb Bogonko is averaging 11.7 yards per carry and QB Cayden Grigsby is averaging over 20 yards per completion. 

West Carter will be the best team Middlesboro has played since that season opening Hazard game. West Carter has beaten a team better than Middlesboro so they certainly are capable of hanging the first loss of the season on the Yellowjackets. The Comets will counter Middlesboro's QB/RB combo with a dynamic duo of their own. RB Cole Crampton leads 2A in rushing as he closes in on a 2,000 yard season. QB Eli Estepp averages over 20 yards per completion, just like his opponent in this game. West Carter also has a top WR on their offense in Jackson Bond, who is the #5 WR in 2A.

Can the Comets get the upset and hang the first loss of the season on Middlesboro?

• Voice of Reason changed the title to West Carter at Middlesboro Predictions/Updates

Easily the best of the four quarterfinal games in 2A. Middlesboro is the mystery team of this class: unbeaten, but nothing to indicate that they're a serious contender. I do like their balance on offense. The quarterback is a very capable passer who spreads the ball around and is also a major threat with his legs. Bogonko is a load out of the backfield and has some speed and shiftiness. 

West Carter has done an incredible job backing up last year's success. I thought losing Cline and Perry would set them back this year, but they've plugged in Crampton and Estepp and haven't really missed a beat, production wise. No matter what happens this Friday, I think Daniel Barker has done a better coaching job this year than last.

Speaking of coaching, the battle of wits between Barker and Larry French might be the most intriguing aspect of this game. Barker is the up-and-comer still molding his identity, while French has been around the block enough times to be #3 on the all-time wins list with multiple state championships. I believe the talent on the field is comparable enough that it could likely come down to coaching. I'll give the nod there to French. That, plus the game being in Middlesboro, is why my head says the Jackets take this one. 

Pulling for the Comets, though, FWIW.

• Like 2