Notre Dame 1 South Oldham 0 (2021 Girls' Soccer State Championship)

It is the eve of the culmination of a fantastic season.  For the team 15 minutes away from me it might be the eve of the greatest season EVER for a Kentucky Girls Soccer season.  Can they do it??  If this NDA team wasn't LOADED with Senior talent I would say that the nerves might get to them but with 12 Seniors on their roster I don't believe it will.  To think this season also was the first season for young Suli Kayed leading the charge as their Head Coach.  The resume for NDA is as impressive as it gets:

27 WINS, 0 LOSSES, 1 TIE. 24 SHUTOUTS, 117 GOALS SCORED, ONLY 4 GOALS ALLOWED (with 1 of those an own goal), never allowing more then 1 goal scored in any match.

They have 3 First Team All State players and 1 Honorable Mention player.

Luckily for the fans and people that would hope for the best competitive game for a Championship match we got the team we needed to show up in the finals to go against the Pandas, South Oldham.

South Oldham's resume isn't to shabby, they come in as the #2 team in the Sunday edition Maher Rankings.  Unlike NDA they are a little younger then the Pandas with talent across several classes.  They will be a team that is built to make several runs at this trophy for the next few years.  Their resume looks like this:

23 WINS, 2 LOSSES, 0 TIES. 16 SHUTOUTS, 103 GOALS SCORED, 15 GOALS ALLOWED

They just like NDA have 3 First Team All State players and 1 Second Team player.

As stated in the Final Four thread these 2 teams went head to head way back at the beginning of the season when NDA traveled down to South Oldham and shutout South Oldham out winning by a score of 3-0.  In my opinion you can throw that score out of the window b/c both teams have gained so much more experience since then that these 2 teams are geared up for a DOG fight.

I like the Pandas in this one but I think it will be a close one, either 1-0 in regulation or NDA wins in PKs.

Regardless of the outcome what a season this has been.  I truly have enjoyed following so much girls soccer this year.

Good luck NDA and South Oldham!!!  Enjoy the day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It has been an impressive and fun year.  The Panda's resume that the news has done a nice job covering, seems to be fuel for their opponents.  These teams are showing up with nothing to lose, pumped up, underdog mentalities, and leaving nothing on the field.  West Jess, Highlands, Beechwood, Lex Cath, etc. all brought all the fight they had to give, and have not made this easy.  The quality of soccer and effort in these games have been impressive.  Also seems like every team has a tremendous goalie to go with their effort.  South Oldham probably has as much offensive talent as NDA has faced.  This is going to be a great game, no doubt.

• Like 4

From the KHSAA:

A box score from today's championship game, a list of award winners and the completed state bracket can be found through the links below.

Notre Dame 1, South Oldham 0 (Box Score & Play-by-Play)
https://khsaa.org/soccer/2021/stats/girls07.pdfg

Award Winners
https://khsaa.org/soccer/2021/girlsawards.pdf

Bracket
https://khsaa.org/soccer/2021/girlsstatebracket.pdf

• theguru changed the title to Notre Dame 1 South Oldham 0 (2021 Girls' Soccer State Championship)

As the most active NDA poster, I'll put a wrap on our active and friendly coverage of this year's girls soccer season and final game.

If you were at the game, or followed on line, my (probably biased) opinion was that the score was closer than the game.  Others could've seen differently, but NDA could have easily been up several goals by half.  I think I read 7 shots on goal to none in first half, and we missed a few close opportunities.  South Oldham kept 4 on their  back line, seemed to mix up their midfield formation (mostly kept defensive) several times, and kept their Louisville committed, stud striker high.   They did not generate much of an offensive threat in the first 70 minutes of the game.  It was not because they were packing the box.  I think the Panda's defended so well in both midfield and final 3rd, and were able to counter so quickly that South Oldham could not get off their heels.  The SO defense and goalie were very busy throughout. 

The Panda's seemed to fall back to more defensive formation in the final 13-15 minutes and did lose their composure a bit to make things a little uncomfortable.  A few unnecessary fouls allowed several set pieces for South Oldham in late stage of the game, but NDA was able to get it together and close the game out.

My comments are that (similar to the NDA vs. HIghlands regional final match) South Oldham is a well coached, very good team, but that NDA is a different level with D1 talent and experience all over the field.  I heard the South Oldham coach was complimentary (and classy) with post game comments toward NDA.  As @Frank commented, South Oldham is young and should be a top team in the state next season. 

A lot to say about this team and this season, but best to share the final details.  Here is a copy / paste from Coach Suli's Facebook post summary of The Panda's season: 

28-0-1 Undefeated State Champs

State record Most Total Wins

State record Most Shutouts 24

118 goals scored and only 4 goals allowed

State record fewest goals allowed by a tea.

• Thanks 2
13 minutes ago, Big Red said:

As the most active NDA poster, I'll put a wrap on our active and friendly coverage of this year's girls soccer season and final game.

If you were at the game, or followed on line, my (probably biased) opinion was that the score was closer than the game.  Others could've seen differently, but NDA could have easily been up several goals by half.  I think I read 7 shots on goal to none in first half, and we missed a few close opportunities.  South Oldham kept 4 on their  back line, seemed to mix up their midfield formation (mostly kept defensive) several times, and kept their Louisville committed, stud striker high.   They did not generate much of an offensive threat in the first 70 minutes of the game.  It was not because they were packing the box.  I think the Panda's defended so well in both midfield and final 3rd, and were able to counter so quickly that South Oldham could not get off their heels.  The SO defense and goalie were very busy throughout. 

The Panda's seemed to fall back to more defensive formation in the final 13-15 minutes and did lose their composure a bit to make things a little uncomfortable.  A few unnecessary fouls allowed several set pieces for South Oldham in late stage of the game, but NDA was able to get it together and close the game out.

My comments are that (similar to the NDA vs. HIghlands regional final match) South Oldham is a well coached, very good team, but that NDA is a different level with D1 talent and experience all over the field.  I heard the South Oldham coach was complimentary (and classy) with post game comments toward NDA.  As @Frank commented, South Oldham is young and should be a top team in the state next season. 

A lot to say about this team and this season, but best to share the final details.  Here is a copy / paste from Coach Suli's Facebook post summary of The Panda's season: 

28-0-1 Undefeated State Champs

State record Most Total Wins

State record Most Shutouts 24

118 goals scored and only 4 goals allowed

State record fewest goals allowed by a tea.

Unbiased opinion is similar.  We were there until half so Keelee could get her All state award.  

NDA controlled the game, had plenty of decent chances and a few good.  South Oldham was physical and super direct with everything.  We saw as many as 6 along their back line with one striker up top...

• Like 2

@Big Red CONGRATULATIONS on a fantastic season!  It has been a very fun season to follow all of these young ladies this fall.  It kept me busy and hopefully gave some nice exposure in this BGP community for these well deserved athletes.  The only thing I hate about High School soccer is that it seems to be over so quickly but it is what it is....

I have personally enjoyed the dialogue with each and every one of our members in these threads this past 3 months.  I am SOOO Happy NDA graduates so many talented players even though I realize there will be plenty more to fill the shoes of these graduating Seniors.

Good luck to all those players playing at the next level next year!

Can't wait to do this again in 9 months!

• Like 4

Understanding the amount of seniors lost for the Pandas, what does the current junior class (next year's seniors) look like? 

Congrats to the Pandas on an unbelievable run! Another thread should be where does this team rank as one of NKY's greatest of all time? 

Specific to the junior class soccer players at NDA, the answer is a big... "It depends."  There are 3 top level studs:  Kennedy Clark - Xavier commit, Ellie Greenwell - uncommitted, still entertaining D1 offers, and Abby Unkraut - Penn State commit that has opted NOT to play high school for her first 3 years.  Next year's NDA team is impacted dramatically by whether one or both Clark and Unkraut play.  I have no insight into either.  Why would Unkraut play?  It seems a lot of these DA/GA girls do play high school in their SR years across Cincinnati area.  I do know Clark enjoyed the experience. 

IF (big IF) those three played and combined with Summe, Meier, Hemsath, Danneman, etc. would make for a very good SR class.  There is also plenty in the pipeline of underclassmen.  Tranter, Knapke, and McGraw were all solid players and play high level club.  Kimmy Woeste and Scarlet Cogswell did not play due to ACL injuries, but both will be key players next year.  Rennaker will takeover as goalie.  I haven't seen her play much, but heard she is athletic and solid.

In terms of historic perspective, I think you could go in several directions.   NKY greatest of all time?  I would think those state records put them in a state wide all time status, not just NKY.  What about this NDA defense as a most dominant high school sports "unit" in NKY across sports in recent decade or longer?  How many soccer teams were feared to the point where throughout state tournament teams (#2 and #3 rated teams) abandoned their typical game plan?  This team probably deserves a thread dedicated to historic relevance.  Not sure what the most entertaining perspective would be.  Any thoughts on what makes most sense?

• Thanks 1