Kentucky vs Kentucky Wesleyan

sportsfan41

The two teams are set to tip-off next Friday at 7pm in Kentucky’s first exhibition game.  

Tonight’s scrimmage was fun to get a chance to get familiar with this years team. GREAT to see fans back at Rupp Arena.  Really looking forward to next Friday night. 

I don’t know what Kentucky Wesleyan has this year but they have a storied history in basketball . I believe they have eight national championships in their college division. But playing Kentucky, unless it was 2020-21 in the middle of a pandemic, is a whole different level. 

2 hours ago, John Anthony said:

Do we have a legit PG this year or another 1 year tryout?  I haven’t kept up with the off-season.  

I believe that Shavir Wheeler is expected to start at PG. Wheeler was 2nd team all SEC last year while at Georgia.  He averaged 14.0 points per game (17th SEC), 7.4 assists per game (1st SEC, 4th NCAA) and 1.7 steals per game (5th SEC).  I'd say that's a definite upgrade over last year's starter going into the season Devin Askew.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Anthony said:

Do we have a legit PG this year or another 1 year tryout?  I haven’t kept up with the off-season.  

As @Irish Cat mentioned in his response, I think we can and should definitely consider Wheeler as a legit PG.

We also have TyTy Washington, who I think is going to do well for the Cats.  If TyTy was our only PG, I think I'd be a little worried since he lacks collegiate experience but with Wheeler, I think we'll be just fine with the two of them.

And they can always have Mintz run it on occasion, if needed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I forgot Sisson played for them.  That will be cool to see them against UK.

I agree. I think experiences like this are really cool for the smaller schools. It is pretty cool how Cal continues to try to schedule instate schools for the exhibition games. Good for everyone. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I agree. I think experiences like this are really cool for the smaller schools. It is pretty cool how Cal continues to try to schedule instate schools for the exhibition games. Good for everyone. 

For sure. A lot of times those teams are filled with kids from the Commonwealth or surrounding states that will remember the opportunity forever. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

As @Irish Cat mentioned in his response, I think we can and should definitely consider Wheeler as a legit PG.

We also have TyTy Washington, who I think is going to do well for the Cats.  If TyTy was our only PG, I think I'd be a little worried since he lacks collegiate experience but with Wheeler, I think we'll be just fine with the two of them.

And they can always have Mintz run it on occasion, if needed.

Agreed.  And I think both will improve a lot over the season simply from practicing against each other. 

1 hour ago, 4 Quarters said:

Yeah, I realize what you're saying.  But honestly, I see no benefit in these type of games.

Completely agree but I have nothing else to watch except another random Netflix show haha!  I'll gladly take some UK basketball.

Only real benefit is just building some chemistry against other opponents but given who the opponents are, not worth much.  Nice for the visiting schools though.

• Like 1