St. Xavier vs. Trinity Predictions/Updates

Tigerpride94

Who wins?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/24/2021 at 11:50 PM

#2 St. X (3-1) vs #4 Trinity (0-5) Friday at Cardinal Stadium at 8:00.

St. X is coming off a 31-21 win over Elder (OH). Trinity is coming off a 24-10 loss to #1 Male.

St. X and Trinity have the common opponent of Male with St. X losing to Male 28-21 and Trinity losing to Male 24-10.

Last year Trinity beat St. X 31-0 in the 6A semifinals.

St. X on offense is averaging 33 points a game and is led by QB Jack Sivori who is 40 of 68 passing with 469 yards, 9 touchdowns, and 4 interceptions. Sivori is also the leading rusher with 512 yards and 7 touchdowns. Mekhi Smith leads the receivers with 24 receptions and 3 touchdowns. Smith has also 81 rushing yards with 1 touchdown. He is also the punt returner and primary kickoff returner. WR Michael Duddy has caught 4 touchdowns.

The St. X defense most likely will have several starters out on defense still but have been playing without most of them for 3 1/2 games. The defense is yielding 23.35 points a game. The defense has been led by LB Ben Marks with 33 tackles and S Tyler Boggs with 31 tackles and a interception. LB Brandon Shaffner had a big game against Elder with 15 tackles.

Trinity on offense has averaged 22.5 points a game and is led by QB Brady Willis who is 65 of 108 passes with 818 yards, 8 touchdowns, and 2 interceptions. RB Armon Tucker leads the rushers with 260 yards and 2 touchdowns. Trinity's leading receivers are Chris Whittington with 229 yards and 2 touchdowns and Noah Meyers 213 yards and 3 touchdowns. Armon Tucker did not play against Male due to injury but could possibly against St. X. RB Stephen Mack led the rushers against Male with 52 yards in Tucker's absence.

The Trinity defense is yielding 37 points per game but held Male to a respectable 24 points. The Trinity defense is young starting 6 sophomores and 2 juniors according to Coach Cobb quote in Courier Journal article for Male game preview. Trinity doesn't submit tackle statistics to the KHSAA but a key player on the defense is LB Brady McEnany.

Trinity will be hungry for their first win and St. X will be looking to avenge their 3 game losing streak to the Shamrocks. Does Trinity get their first win or does St. X break their Trinity losing streak? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My personal prediction is St. X by 7. I think the difference will be Mekhi Smith and Michael Duddy against the young Trinity secondary plus the Trinity defense will have to contain Sivori running. I see Trinity as that wounded animal that is still mean but have no choice but to deal with it and try and not get bit.

• Like 1

I see this as a close game and probably St. X pulling away mid 3rd quarter. In years past I'm unsure if St. X's schedule before playing Trinity gets them prepared for the Shamrocks, this year I think they've been challenged in a number of ways and are set up well to compete against Trinity. Big matchups are won in the trenches, and I think St. X as the edge over Trinity in that area this year. 

• Like 2

Over the years what makes Trinity's passing game so dangerous is their QB typically is able to hit the route in the flats for easy yards. It seems like this year in the passing game Trinity's QB doesn't get the ball to flats as often. I'm not sure if it's a scheme thing or a comfort level of the QB. Just something that has stuck out to me the little bit I've seen from the Trinity offense this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LongTimeReader said:

Massey Ratings has the most likely score 34-28 in favor of Trinity. 

1 hour ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Calpreps has St. X 31-27.

A ten point swing between these two "high school rating systems" is a pretty big one at this stage.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

How do you get tickets to this game?

Per the St. X website, "Tickets for the Friday, September 24 Varsity Football game vs. Trinity, at Cardinal Stadium, will go on-sale on Monday, September 20. Tickets are ONLY available at the Athletic Office on campus. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm. Parking lots will open at 3:00 pm, and gates will open at 6:30 pm."

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

Per the St. X website, "Tickets for the Friday, September 24 Varsity Football game vs. Trinity, at Cardinal Stadium, will go on-sale on Monday, September 20. Tickets are ONLY available at the Athletic Office on campus. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm. Parking lots will open at 3:00 pm, and gates will open at 6:30 pm."

They are also selling them at Trinity.

• Thanks 1