Dixie Heights vs. Covington Catholic Predictions/Updates

MaddenCurse44

Who do you think will win this game?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win?

• Dixie
    • Covington Catholic

CovCath escaped with a win last year first game of the season for both teams. CovCath got up early in the first quarter and Dixie shut them out for the next three while Dixie left several points on the field and ran out of time. I’m sure neither team is taking this one lightly. Should be a good game. My heart says Dixie but My brain says CovCath. I think the home team wins it here by 7. 

I've been curious about Dixie this season. I keep looking on the scoreboard for stats but I guess they haven't submitted any as of yet....but losing to Cooper definitely came as a surprise to me, and then admittedly, allowing 26 points to Conner surprised me as well. I honestly don't know what to expect out of Dixie this Friday.

Cov Cath had a rough outing on Friday, but showed some promise in a lot of ways. The O-line seems to be improving for sure. Agee at QB is obviously a difference maker, as is having Zion Mason back on the field. I do have to wonder how things would have looked with Jones on the defense as well. Cov Cath's D did struggle against the screen passes and play action looks from Lex Cath, and then when they would cheat their coverage further outside to respect the pass, that's when Coach Smith sent Hall up the middle for a nice 5 yard or even a 15 yard pickup. Aiden really eats things up in the middle and on the edge, so if he's back this week, that's a difference on defense, for sure.

If Agee is the go-to at quarterback, does that mean we'll see Holtz moving back to outside linebacker? Holtz was a big part of the defense last year, and were he playing D this season, he would be the #3 returning tackler from last year behind Jones and Sullivan.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 2:51 PM, MaddenCurse44 said:

Battle of Dixie Highway should be a great game.

The Battle For Colonel Highway.

This is the 48th edition. Covington Catholic escaped a scare in Edgewood last year after heading into the fourth quarter with a 21-0 lead, and then narrowly escaping 21-14. Dixie's last win over Cov Cath came back in 2007, before anyone taking the field this week was yet in grade school. The last thirteen rounds of the series have gone to the Blue Colonels, who lead the series 41 wins to 7.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I've been curious about Dixie this season. I keep looking on the scoreboard for stats but I guess they haven't submitted any as of yet....but losing to Cooper definitely came as a surprise to me, and then admittedly, allowing 26 points to Conner surprised me as well. I honestly don't know what to expect out of Dixie this Friday.

Cov Cath had a rough outing on Friday, but showed some promise in a lot of ways. The O-line seems to be improving for sure. Agee at QB is obviously a difference maker, as is having Zion Mason back on the field. I do have to wonder how things would have looked with Jones on the defense as well. Cov Cath's D did struggle against the screen passes and play action looks from Lex Cath, and then when they would cheat their coverage further outside to respect the pass, that's when Coach Smith sent Hall up the middle for a nice 5 yard or even a 15 yard pickup. Aiden really eats things up in the middle and on the edge, so if he's back this week, that's a difference on defense, for sure.

If Agee is the go-to at quarterback, does that mean we'll see Holtz moving back to outside linebacker? Holtz was a big part of the defense last year, and were he playing D this season, he would be the #3 returning tackler from last year behind Jones and Sullivan.

I'd be shocked if Agee isn't their new QB from what I heard. He adds a dimension to the offense they missed the last 3 games. Holtz is a great linebacker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Cov Cath by 10.

If CCH can stop Kel Hawkins then I can see your prediction being fairly accurate. Cooper did not have to worry about Hawkins due to his suspension thus Dixie struggled on offense. Landers is a very solid QB and multi-dimensional but I believe Hawkins will be the key in winning the tough games in the next few weeks. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bjaynes said:

If CCH can stop Kel Hawkins then I can see your prediction being fairly accurate. Cooper did not have to worry about Hawkins due to his suspension thus Dixie struggled on offense. Landers is a very solid QB and multi-dimensional but I believe Hawkins will be the key in winning the tough games in the next few weeks. 

Hawkins played against Cooper. Not sure how much offense he played, but he definitely played defense in that game.

14 hours ago, Bluesport said:

I'd be shocked if Agee isn't their new QB from what I heard. He adds a dimension to the offense they missed the last 3 games. Holtz is a great linebacker.

I think Agee’s been our best player so far this year by a good margin. Hopefully, we can get some more diversity in the QB run game as opposed to just running power and iso. With his athleticism, we should be able to do some fun and creative stuff. 

This is a very loseable game again, but hopefully having a full complement of our best players for the first time this year should put us over the top. If we get anything from the passing game, and we should with receives like Benke and Zion, there’s no reason we shouldn’t put up a good number of points. Defensively, getting Jones back should be a big boost. He’s a really good player at inside linebacker. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gbballfan21 said:

Hawkins played against Cooper. Not sure how much offense he played, but he definitely played defense in that game.

I stand corrected then. There were earlier posts on BGP that Hawkins would be unavailable for the Cooper game and was told that by a Youth Colonels coach. I had also thought that a game ejection resulted in the player sitting out the next game. 

5 hours ago, bjaynes said:

I stand corrected then. There were earlier posts on BGP that Hawkins would be unavailable for the Cooper game and was told that by a Youth Colonels coach. I had also thought that a game ejection resulted in the player sitting out the next game. 

Hawkins had 4 catches 51 yards against Cooper.