Notre Dame 41 Florida State 38 (OT)

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert said:

He is but I was referring to a play where the FSU players let him go out for a TD pass completely uncovered.

It was without a doubt a blown coverage.  They blitzed the OLB and the corner bit on the flat route by the RB.  They only had 1 safety and he cheated to the 3 receiver side.  The 2 Middle backers played hook to curl as they should.  That left the corner route wide open for Mayer.  Typically, when the corner has flat in a zone coverage, you're playing 2 high safeties and they're responsible for deep half or you can roll it and disguise it as Cover 3, but roll one corner up to the flat, take the opposite OLB and have him cover the other flat, then drop the opposite corner into deep 1/2 .  That wasn't the case here.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Unrivaled97 said:

It was without a doubt a blown coverage.  They blitzed the OLB and the corner bit on the flat route by the RB.  They only had 1 safety and he cheated to the 3 receiver side.  The 2 Middle backers played hook to curl as they should.  That left the corner route wide open for Mayer.  Typically, when the corner has flat in a zone coverage, you're playing 2 high safeties and they're responsible for deep half or you can roll it and disguise it as Cover 3, but roll one corner up to the flat, take the opposite OLB and have him cover the other flat, then drop the opposite corner into deep 1/2 .  That wasn't the case here.

I feel like I am at a clinic @Unrivaled97!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevilMayCare said:

You don't see Mayer drop too many balls that he gets both mitts on. I think he makes that catch 99 times out of 100.

Second drop of the night but in my opinion he was turning to run before he secured the ball.  He should have known the situation better.  A catch at that depth is what matters, not making a few extra yards.  

• Like 3

• theguru changed the title to Notre Dame 41 Florida State 38 (OT)