On 6/3/2021 at 2:10 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Looks like Bracken County wins the booby prize this year for being the last team still on the hunt for a new head coach.

Murray gets a spin at the big wheel. Plenty of time to find a coach in mid June? Come on down!

200-1.gif

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, 1&ONLY44 said:

This is late in the game! Any clue why they left or where they are going?

DC took Head Coaching spot in West TN.  Head Coach not clear yet.  

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, FB Head said:

Head Coach not clear yet.  

Per a FB post I saw: Dresden, TN. Believe that is where he came from.

• Thanks 2
11 hours ago, 1&ONLY44 said:

This is late in the game! Any clue why they left or where they are going?

11 hours ago, FB Head said:

DC took Head Coaching spot in West TN.  Head Coach not clear yet.  

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

Per a FB post I saw: Dresden, TN. Believe that is where he came from.

Clayton Morris has taken over as head coach at West Carroll High School (TN), and Keith Hodge is returning to Dresden High School (TN), where he was the head coach immediately prior to taking over the Murray football program in the 2014 season.

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Clayton Morris has taken over as head coach at West Carroll High School (TN), and Keith Hodge is returning to Dresden High School (TN), where he was the head coach immediately prior to taking over the Murray football program in the 2014 season.

Wish them luck!!! I was able to see them grow with the program the last five or so years. Unfortunate for the kids that have been busting their tails all off season to get better with the system that has been put in place. 

With dead period around the corner, this could not have happened at a worst time IMO

Not hearing a lot out of Murray on this one.  I know there are a few guys in West KY with head coaching experience who are now assistants that Murray would probably target 1st but are there any coordinators in the area that might be good fits for the program?

3 hours ago, zoneblitz24 said:

Not hearing a lot out of Murray on this one.  I know there are a few guys in West KY with head coaching experience who are now assistants that Murray would probably target 1st but are there any coordinators in the area that might be good fits for the program?

Who comes to mind to get come in and get this program going?

19 hours ago, FB Head said:

Who comes to mind to get come in and get this program going?

I think the list of names that would be first on Murray call list are some of the guys with head coaching experience in the West KY area that wouldn't have to move their families to take the job.  I would say Colby Lewis, Lance Gregory, Johnathan Smith, or even Steve Lovelace since he has moved into the Paducah area to be the DC at Paducah Tilghman.  After that I believe they would have to look at the applicants who have applied which are possibly coordinators at schools in the area which I don't know who are considered the top guys in that regard or who is a young coach that is on the rise.  Would a guy like Steve Duncan be interested in doing an interim year to buy Murray some more time to hire who they want?  The thing is they didn't just lose a head coach who called the offense they lost the DC as well so really you are hiring 2 important positions on short notice.

52 minutes ago, zoneblitz24 said:

I think the list of names that would be first on Murray call list are some of the guys with head coaching experience in the West KY area that wouldn't have to move their families to take the job.  I would say Colby Lewis, Lance Gregory, Johnathan Smith, or even Steve Lovelace since he has moved into the Paducah area to be the DC at Paducah Tilghman.  

If I were a Murray fan, any of those names would sound good to me, especially Lovelace. I think after a long stint at a bigger school like Christian County and the experience he accumulated there, a smaller school like Murray would make for a great fit for both parties. You could say the same for Gregory.

1 hour ago, zoneblitz24 said:

I think the list of names that would be first on Murray call list are some of the guys with head coaching experience in the West KY area that wouldn't have to move their families to take the job.  I would say Colby Lewis, Lance Gregory, Johnathan Smith, or even Steve Lovelace since he has moved into the Paducah area to be the DC at Paducah Tilghman.  After that I believe they would have to look at the applicants who have applied which are possibly coordinators at schools in the area which I don't know who are considered the top guys in that regard or who is a young coach that is on the rise.  Would a guy like Steve Duncan be interested in doing an interim year to buy Murray some more time to hire who they want?  The thing is they didn't just lose a head coach who called the offense they lost the DC as well so really you are hiring 2 important positions on short notice.

All for of the four names mentioned sound legit.  

Coach Duncan is an interesting option.  He brings a hard nose, disciplined style of football.  He was very successful with the Murray program in the late 00's early 10's.  Although, I would not think it would be the right fit now considering what the returning roster shows.  Murray is currently a skill heavy team and slim pickings in the trenches.  Running a double wing/wing T/wishbone offense may not be their best style currently.

Whomever takes the helm has a base to work with.  For the players' best interest, a hire needs to happen soon.

I don't begrudge anyone for taking a new position to better themselves for their own personal situation, but neither of these guys is brand new to the position and leaving in mid/late June for HS Football is a gut punch really.  REALLY late to plan and get things settled prior to getting into the start of the season.  Heck in a few weeks (after dead period) it's here.  I feel bad for Murray and the players.

12 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

I don't begrudge anyone for taking a new position to better themselves for their own personal situation, but neither of these guys is brand new to the position and leaving in mid/late June for HS Football is a gut punch really.  REALLY late to plan and get things settled prior to getting into the start of the season.  Heck in a few weeks (after dead period) it's here.  I feel bad for Murray and the players.

Agreed. It's a tough situation. Murray is a great school district, and is a really solid small-school program. Timing aside, Coach Hodge leaves them in good spot in 2A. They were a state semifinalist (complete with wins over Mayfield & O-Cath) in 2020, and they were a state quarterfinalist in 2018. It's a great town with a supportive community...not to mention that its location is pretty supreme for anyone who loves the outdoors. There's a lot there to attract a coach.

Realistically, with it's location geographically, this job is more than likely to have folks from Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and Arkansas looking at it.

The problem with Murray, perhaps, is that it IS such a good program to step into. Right now it's the kind of job that would normally attract some of the more top-tier head coaches around. As a school and a football program, they have every right to look at themselves as a top notch job, so in a lot of ways that might make the notion of hiring a current assistant coach into a first-time head coaching job a little less than desirable for Murray. On the flipside, any current head coach is stuck weighing what's stacked against them taking over a relatively high-profile program at this point in the season...he won't even get to see his players until after the dead period ends, so he only has from Saturday, July 10th until Friday, August 20th to settle in at Murray and pick things up. That's 42 calendar days from being introduced to the players on the team, to playing the first game of the season. Additionally, any current head coach is left weighing what he is leaving behind at his current program and the fact that they're going to leave that program in even more of a lurch than the one they're stepping into. And that doesn't even take into account the fact that a departing coach leaves a spot vacant somewhere on faculty/staff in the school building, plus the added wrinkle that a lot of coaches' spouses are educators as well - and they will have to find a job right before the start of a new school year in addition to leaving an opening at their previous school.

It's a messy position for everyone involved...literally everyone.

• Like 2