Highlands is looking for a Strength and Conditioning Coach

Just now, Brcatz said:

I agree with change or a different culture. I'm just saying he was the Only coach in NKY that didn't allow kids to participate in this extracurricular program. Kids trying to gain exposure and learn from an NFL veteran sounds like a win win for all involved. 

To be fair to Coach Sphire, I would wonder if other coaches in the area viewed that as a distraction more than a positive learning experience? I don't know..just wondering if that view of things like that is held by other coaches. 

8 minutes ago, Brcatz said:

I agree with change or a different culture. I'm just saying he was the Only coach in NKY that didn't allow kids to participate in this extracurricular program. Kids trying to gain exposure and learn from an NFL veteran sounds like a win win for all involved. 

OK, I gotcha.....Has their been a reason why? Other than speculation that he just said “the heck with that you guys can’t do it”.

9 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

To be fair to Coach Sphire, I would wonder if other coaches in the area viewed that as a distraction more than a positive learning experience? I don't know..just wondering if that view of things like that is held by other coaches. 

Not sure, try asking the kids playing against top D1 talent in the 7V7 and ask them if they learned anything. My question is, How is a part time strength coach going to work for all programs and have to deal with a controlling head coach?

6 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

OK, I gotcha.....Has their been a reason why? Other than speculation that he just said “the heck with that you guys can’t do it”.

No idea, but a few parents were afraid by going to 7v7 and against the coach it would hurt their kids in the long run it sounded like to me.

3 minutes ago, Brcatz said:

Not sure, try asking the kids playing against top D1 talent in the 7V7 and ask them if they learned anything. My question is, How is a part time strength coach going to work for all programs and have to deal with a controlling head coach?

I totally get your point, I am sure it might be, lets get someone in here part time and then hopefully get it morphed into a full time gig once the administration realizes how benificial this position is and how time consuming it will be if they want to have this person do ALL sports.

Something is better than nothing, when right now you have nothing.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brcatz said:

It's really Sad the new coach won't let kids be kids and play Extracurricular Sports, such as 7v7 Football. Is being very controlling of the kids from what I have heard.

So I am guessing who ever wants a low paying part time job as strength coach will have to be willing to do whatever he is told. Not gonna be an easy find.  

Quite the opposite. Coach Sphire seems to be all for players playing or participating in any extracurricular sport they choose as long as it does not cause you to miss any team events or practices. Pretty standard operating procedures. If a player wants to go participate in an extracurricular and choose to miss practice then they are making a decision to put the team 2nd. Either you do what is expected of you to benefit the team or somebody else will step into that gap.

Not to mention Coach Sphire has had well over 200 players go on to play college ball. I think he has a good idea of what he is doing.

• Like 4

@Brcatz what I think is going to be interesting is that the issue that is going to be how do you spread the wealth around with a P/T Strength and Conditioning Coach is going to be a very near future with how do you spread the wealth on sharing the space of the Fieldhouse?

The Fieldhouse is awesome but how long before Sphire pulls the “Why do I need to share this space with other sports” card?

Will be interesting to see once the Johnson Valley cottages leave the area down their by the Fieldhouse, will there be a push for the Football Fieldhouse only facility....we will see.

8 minutes ago, GoBirds4 said:

Quite the opposite. Coach Sphire seems to be all for players playing or participating in any extracurricular sport they choose as long as it does not cause you to miss any team events or practices. Pretty standard operating procedures. If a player wants to go participate in an extracurricular and choose to miss practice then they are making a decision to put the team 2nd. Either you do what is expected of you to benefit the team or somebody else will step into that gap.

Not to mention Coach Sphire has had well over 200 players go on to play college ball. I think he has a good idea of what he is doing.

Not what I'm hearing from Parents, but I guess not everyone is always on the same page.

15 minutes ago, Brcatz said:

Not what I'm hearing from Parents, but I guess not everyone is always on the same page.

Parents have also been used to their kids being home by 4:30 after school during football season and having .500 seasons. Coach Sphire was hired to win championships. Those don't just appear out of thin air. Things are going to change and some parents may not like the time commitment. I assume all the kids understand what is being asked of them. Everything I have heard indicates that players are able to play different sports etc. but when you are able to be at football practice, you better be at football practice. 

• Like 3

10. No gambling, bookmaking or point spread comments are allowed in any of the high school forums. Figures of speech that use gambling terms may not be used in any of the high school forums. All gambling comments are permitted in the non-high school forums as long as they do not involve any high school sports, students, or student-athletes.

My idol Bear Bryant said “There’s a lot of blood, sweat, and guts between dreams and success.”  An entire new level of dedication.  You don’t get good by happen stance.  Truth be told they are working hard and the boys have bought in.  Coach has a system.  Trust me, I see the time commitment.  Now they truly enjoy an off day.  It might not fit all but I am confident in the program moving forward.  Other programs beware of the Ides of March; Birds will be on track soon enough!

3 hours ago, GoBirds4 said:

Parents have also been used to their kids being home by 4:30 after school during football season and having .500 seasons. Coach Sphire was hired to win championships. Those don't just appear out of thin air. Things are going to change and some parents may not like the time commitment. I assume all the kids understand what is being asked of them. Everything I have heard indicates that players are able to play different sports etc. but when you are able to be at football practice, you better be at football practice. 

And there in lies a potential problem as Highlands shares athletes in the off-season.  With the success of the baseball program, not to mention the recent state basketball championship, it seems as this could be a potential issue with these multi-sport kids.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Velvet Jones said:

How unfair of a coach to expect his players be at Spring practice rather going to an “AAU” 7-7 tournament. The fact that AAU 7-7 is even being brought up is ridiculous. 

When was the last time you saw College coaches, Scouts, Recruiters at a spring practice?

The opportunity for the kids to get exposure is more available today in 7v7 than most would think. Most people don't understand the benefits of multi-sport athletes. 

• Like 2