Half empty car lots

Jumper_Dad

Anyone else noticing car lots are way down on inventory right now? Part of the issue with new vehicles is a worldwide Computer Chip Shortage.  With new inventories being low, used vehicles are bringing premium prices right now...and blowing off the lots.

We have been passively shopping for a new/used SUV since my wife was in a wreck a few months ago. Several times we've seen a car on a lot one night and it would be gone by the next afternoon. 

Local GM lot usually has 100+ new trucks at all times, they had less than 20. The local Ford dealership only has 2, TWO! F150's on the lot...that's crazy.

I'm glad we aren't in a hurry and can take our time, this is the worst time that I've ever seen to buy a car.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Anyone else noticing car lots are way down on inventory right now? Part of the issue with new vehicles is a worldwide Computer Chip Shortage.  With new inventories being low, used vehicles are bringing premium prices right now...and blowing off the lots.

We have been passively shopping for a new/used SUV since my wife was in a wreck a few months ago. Several times we've seen a car on a lot one night and it would be gone by the next afternoon. 

Local GM lot usually has 100+ new trucks at all times, they had less than 20. The local Ford dealership only has 2, TWO! F150's on the lot...that's crazy.

I'm glad we aren't in a hurry and can take our time, this is the worst time that I've ever seen to buy a car.

It is hard for me to believe the car manufactures didn't plan for this.  I have heard the news reports on it too but I am still blown away they were that ill prepared. 

11 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

Didn't know this was happening. We just bought two cars back in February....a used car for my son, and a new car for my wife. At that time, lots seemed to be business as usual.

It's much worse now than it was just two or three months ago.

Stimulus checks have driven some of the shortage as well. I was told, you'll be surprised how many couples have came in with exactly $2,800 down payment. 

On 4/13/2021 at 11:37 PM, Jumper_Dad said:

@theguru, I know you are more of a car guy than truck guy...but I saw this on a lot in Middlesboro and thought it would be perfect for you.

Resized_20210411_153303.jpeg

Resized_Screenshot_20210411-154740_Chrome.jpeg

Love it and I had a Ram 1500 a while back but that thing would be more than my mortgage, I will pass!

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing for the most part here in Paducah. Much less inventory than normal everywhere except the Honda dealer. They sell tons of cars and replenish quickly. We bought my wife a new vehicle last month and we now own our first Honda. 

We were open to just about any make of vehicle, the selection there really was the difference in our decision. 

We did call around 10 states in total and it was basically the same deal everywhere we called. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These chips are incredible complex to make and a chip factory costs a fortune and quite a while to get building.  Covid caused an already over burdened flow of chips to be suddenly out of capacity.  It might take a year to 18 months to catch up.  It's a big problem.