Sep 24 at Fort Campbell (District)
Oct 1 at Caldwell County (District)
Oct 8 - BYE
Oct 15 vs. Ballard Memorial (District)
Oct 22 vs. Murray (District)
Oct 29 at Madisonville-North Hopkins

Mayfield.thumb.jpg.7b0e8e38af98a4fcbe22872d662d0851.jpg

• Thanks 1

I know CC and FC are close but I don’t understand Mayfield playing these games they don’t have to play a powerhouse every game but those games will both be running clocks by halftime and that’s not helping either team.

52 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

I know CC and FC are close but I don’t understand Mayfield playing these games they don’t have to play a powerhouse every game but those games will both be running clocks by halftime and that’s not helping either team.

Fort Campbell is a district game I believe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

Not a ton of teams lining up to play Mayfield. They've had to dip deep into Tennessee several times just to get a game. I'd say a local game with Calloway County is appealing, both financially and competitively, especially since the rest of their non-district opponents are typically late playoff round contenders.

2 hours ago, WKY_Football said:

Fort Campbell is a district game I believe.

Ahhh, you're right, yes. When I glanced at the 2019-2022 KHSAA Alignment of Teams to verify district games it didn't show Ft. Campbell. I guess they haven't re-added Ft. Campbell and Ft. Knox back into their respective districts after they had to cancel their seasons last year because of COVID.

Thanks for that @WKY_Football!

3 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

I agree that Mayfield will be an overwhelming favorite in both games.  FC is a district game. They did not participate last year due to Covid.  Calloway game is a bit more interesting.  Second year Coach Champion is a Mayfield guy.  You could tell last year the Lakers had a different attitude in games.  Hope he continues to grow the program in the right direction.  

This Mayfield team will be out to prove themselves after a not so Mayfield year. This schedule is great for RPI considering every team, except their district, is 3A or above, but it's not a cake walk.  Graves will have a good defense, PT with their new coach should be better. McCracken exposed them last year.  Caldwell, Mayfield, and Murray will again be battling for district honors.  I expect the Cardinals to be much improved and get back to their norm this fall.

7 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Not a ton of teams lining up to play Mayfield. They've had to dip deep into Tennessee several times just to get a game. I'd say a local game with Calloway County is appealing, both financially and competitively, especially since the rest of their non-district opponents are typically late playoff round contenders.

I think that might be reaching I’m not sure anyone on their schedule can win a region championship which in my opinion would make a team a late playoff contender. But I wasn’t trying to bash Mayfield by no means I just thought they might could schedule a little tougher with their championship history.

• Like 1

Decent schedule, I've seen better.

Around these parts , it's better than most.

It will prepare Mayfield for a deep run in the playoff's and will be somewhat challenging, so our young QB can get some confidence and experience.

This schedule looks about right for this team....not overly hard or overly soft but will get them on the right track for the playoffs.  

• Like 1

Scheduling for really good, small school programs is going to get increasingly more difficult. The RPI has changed everything! Bigger schools don’t get much of a reward for beating a smaller school, and if it’s a smaller school such as a Mayfield, Beechwood, LCA type of team, that they would in most cases probably lose to, then the mediocre 5A and 6A schools are not really going to line up to take this chance. This leaves teams like Mayfield to either play a bunch of really good 5A-6A schools, or find some mediocre 4A, 5A type teams to play. Unfortunately, the RPI is changing the way teams construct their schedules. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gbballfan21 said:

Scheduling for really good, small school programs is going to get increasingly more difficult. The RPI has changed everything! Bigger schools don’t get much of a reward for beating a smaller school, and if it’s a smaller school such as a Mayfield, Beechwood, LCA type of team, that they would in most cases probably lose to, then the mediocre 5A and 6A schools are not really going to line up to take this chance. This leaves teams like Mayfield to either play a bunch of really good 5A-6A schools, or find some mediocre 4A, 5A type teams to play. Unfortunately, the RPI is changing the way teams construct their schedules. 

I wonder if that’s why Mayfield didn’t try to schedule a tough small Tennessee school like they have in the past because it wouldn’t help their RPI.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

I wonder if that’s why Mayfield didn’t try to schedule a tough small Tennessee school like they have in the past because it wouldn’t help their RPI.

I’m sure that it definitely came into play when they were making the schedule. The upside to beating a really good out of state opponent is minimal, but if you lose to them, then you get zero secondary points, even if that team has a really good season. It’s just not worth the risk to play those type of teams.

On 3/18/2021 at 5:20 PM, Tkinslow said:

I think that might be reaching I’m not sure anyone on their schedule can win a region championship which in my opinion would make a team a late playoff contender. But I wasn’t trying to bash Mayfield by no means I just thought they might could schedule a little tougher with their championship history.

Paducah Tilghman & Hopkinsville, with what they return, are threats to win a region title.