2021 Mr. Basketball Finalists

Who should win 2021 Mr. Basketball?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who should win 2021 Mr. Basketball?

• Region 1 - Noah Dumas, McCracken County
    • Region 1 - Zion Harmon, Marshall County
    • Region 2 - Destin Allen, Webster County
    • Region 3 - Nash Divine, Muhlenberg County
    • Region 4 - Isaiah Mason, Bowling Green
    • Region 5 - Jaquias Franklin, Elizabethtown
    • Region 6 - Devin Perry, DeSales
    • Region 7 - Cameron Pope, Male
    • Region 8 - Kelly Niece, Simon Kenton
    • Region 9 - Sam Vinson, Highlands
    • Region 10 - Grant Profitt, Scott
    • Region 11 - Ben Johnson, Lexington Catholic
    • Region 12 - Kade Grundy, Somerset
    • Region 13 - Jevonte Turner, Knox Central
    • Region 14 - Jaz Johnson, Wolfe County
    • Region 15 - Isaiah May, Johnson Central
    • Region 16 - Mason Moore, Rowan County

This poll is closed to new votes

We'll get a chance to watch five of the finalists this week at the Sweet 16.

Isaiah Mason, Bowling Green (vs University Heights)

Noah Dumas, McCracken Co. (vs Bullitt East)

Sam Vinson, Highlands (vs Muhlenberg Co.)

Nash Divine, Muhlenberg Co. (vs Highlands)

Jevonte Turner, Knox Central (vs Ashland)

53 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

We'll get a chance to watch five of the finalists this week at the Sweet 16.

Isaiah Mason, Bowling Green (vs University Heights)

Noah Dumas, McCracken Co. (vs Bullitt East)

Sam Vinson, Highlands (vs Muhlenberg Co.)

Nash Divine, Muhlenberg Co. (vs Highlands)

Jevonte Turner, Knox Central (vs Ashland)

I have a feeling people across the state will have a much better appreciation for Sam Vinson after this week.

• Like 1

I’ve only seen Johnson play once, vs North Laurel in a streamed TV game. But after watching Vinson throughout his 4 state tournament games I would say Vinson by a good margin. Unfortunately for him though, the vote was before the state tournament. That needs to be changed next year. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

Mr. Football was shared for the first time this year. Could the same happen for Mr. Basketball? 

It's happened once before - 1958, when Ralph Richardson of Russell Co. and Harry Todd of Earlington shared the award.

It shouldn’t.  😂. Vinson deserves it.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 12:47 AM, The Professor said:

I’ve only seen Johnson play once, vs North Laurel in a streamed TV game. But after watching Vinson throughout his 4 state tournament games I would say Vinson by a good margin. Unfortunately for him though, the vote was before the state tournament. That needs to be changed next year.

I don't think that will happen, and it shouldn't because of one year. I've confirmed with a former voter that the ballots are cast before the Sweet 16, and have been since the award was started in 1954.

How would fans of mountain basketball have felt if Cawood's Phil Cox hadn't won it in '81? Troy McKinley of Simon Kenton is tournament MVP and the Pioneers bring home the 9th Region's first championship. Cox, like Lex Cath's Ben Johnson this year, never made a tournament appearance. This happens often.

1 hour ago, throwback32 said:

It shouldn’t.  😂. Vinson deserves it.

Just trying to keep the conversation lively 😃.  I voted for Sam in the poll above, and you "liked" when I bumped this thread a few weeks ago. I'm a fan, even if I prefer a different shade of blue.

Do you think Ross Neltner would've traded his '03 award for a chance to play in and win the tournament that year? Do you think Sam would?

I think the vote would've been close pre tournament. At that time, Johnson had more "exposure" from being on the top ranked team and the numbers he put up. Vinson showed out in the Sweet 16 after votes were cast.

Truth is, there isn't much of a correlation between being a great player on a title winning team and being awarded Mr. Basketball - it happens about 25% of the time. Winning the tournament MVP, the state championship, and Mr. Basketball trifecta is even rarer - it's only happened to a handful of players since the MVP award was revived in 1981. Again, I'm a fan of Sam. 

I wonder too, when there are now MaxPreps (which Sam has won) and Gatorade Players of the Year (which includes postseason performance), how relevant Mr. Basketball is today. Lots of folks in the Kentucky may know the history and the significance of winning Mr. Basketball, and I think that group skews older. The two newer awards don't always align with the older one either. MaxPreps and Gatorade have each have a big nationwide social media presence. Would more people recognize the winner of those awards as a more legitimate POY? How do today's players feel about it?

In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if either Johnson or Vinson wins Mr Basketball. Both have had great careers, and both have bright futures.

And remember again please, I'm a Vinson fan. 🤓