2021 Mr. Basketball Finalists

Who should win 2021 Mr. Basketball?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who should win 2021 Mr. Basketball?

• Region 1 - Noah Dumas, McCracken County
    • Region 1 - Zion Harmon, Marshall County
    • Region 2 - Destin Allen, Webster County
    • Region 3 - Nash Divine, Muhlenberg County
    • Region 4 - Isaiah Mason, Bowling Green
    • Region 5 - Jaquias Franklin, Elizabethtown
    • Region 6 - Devin Perry, DeSales
    • Region 7 - Cameron Pope, Male
    • Region 8 - Kelly Niece, Simon Kenton
    • Region 9 - Sam Vinson, Highlands
    • Region 10 - Grant Profitt, Scott
    • Region 11 - Ben Johnson, Lexington Catholic
    • Region 12 - Kade Grundy, Somerset
    • Region 13 - Jevonte Turner, Knox Central
    • Region 14 - Jaz Johnson, Wolfe County
    • Region 15 - Isaiah May, Johnson Central
    • Region 16 - Mason Moore, Rowan County

This poll is closed to new votes

Congrats to Ben Johnson on the win, but this is a serious question.

Why does it take 4 months to name a Mr Football winner, but votes for Mr Basketball must be turned in before the Sweet 16?

Why the rush to get Basketball turned in, when the AP was clearly in no hurry to announce Mr Football?

I think anybody that watched the Sweet 16, would like to recast their vote, or maybe would have at least reconsidered their vote.

• Like 1

BGPers, consider you are a college coach and had one spot on your roster and you had a choice between Johnson or Vinson. Who do you choose? I admit I’m not as familiar with Johnson as I am Vinson. I watched Vinson score 57 points in two games vs a pretty good Ashland team this year. My nephew coaches Ashland and I watch as many of their streamed games as possible. So my familiarity with Vinson is more than  with Johnson, who I only saw once vs North Laurel. 
My inclination would be Vinson over Johnson if I were a college coach making that tough choice, but since I’ve not seen Johnson but once that would be an unfair judgement on my part. 
So I suppose I’m asking those who have seen both play quite a lot what their opinion would be. 

46 minutes ago, The Professor said:

BGPers, consider you are a college coach and had one spot on your roster and you had a choice between Johnson or Vinson. Who do you choose? I admit I’m not as familiar with Johnson as I am Vinson. I watched Vinson score 57 points in two games vs a pretty good Ashland team this year. My nephew coaches Ashland and I watch as many of their streamed games as possible. So my familiarity with Vinson is more than  with Johnson, who I only saw once vs North Laurel. 
My inclination would be Vinson over Johnson if I were a college coach making that tough choice, but since I’ve not seen Johnson but once that would be an unfair judgement on my part. 
So I suppose I’m asking those who have seen both play quite a lot what their opinion would be. 

Johnson. No contest. Because a college coach rarely cares about who scored the most points against whatever irrelevant team. They watch a body of work against competition. And yes. They grade the competition. They look at how the player moves on both sides of the ball, body language during timeouts, body language when they’re coming out of the game. Can they guard anyone? Can they be taught to guard anyone?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HoopJunkie said:

Johnson. No contest. Because a college coach rarely cares about who scored the most points against whatever irrelevant team. They watch a body of work against competition. And yes. They grade the competition. They look at how the player moves on both sides of the ball, body language during timeouts, body language when they’re coming out of the game. Can they guard anyone? Can they be taught to guard anyone?

Both players are great. While Johnson scores more (6pts) and Vinson rebounding (4)  number are better the field goal percentage for 2-3 are very close. Johnson shoots  the 3 better (6%). IMO Vinson’s the complete player.

Quick question is scoring the most important part of winning Mr Basketball?   Or should we be looking at the body of work of the said player (points, rebounds, assists, strength of schedule) a total floor game and not one part such as scoring.