Justin Powell

Tomcats1990

50 minutes ago, bugatti said:

So effectively a roster with half of it being from Kentucky.

If they are as good as the unforgettable’s I’d consider it, but no you won’t or don’t want half of your roster from KY but you need a few yearly who grew up bleeding blue and wanting to play for the school. Man people on here drinking way to much CAL Blue Kool- Aid. 

29 minutes ago, Tomcats1990 said:

If they are as good as the unforgettable’s I’d consider it, but no you won’t or don’t want half of your roster from KY but you need a few yearly who grew up bleeding blue and wanting to play for the school. Man people on here drinking way to much CAL Blue Kool- Aid. 

You said one to two Kentucky born players a year. Most teams have what, 12-15 guys on a roster. I am just doing simple math here. That would be up to 8 guys on the team from Kentucky. Again, effectively half the roster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomcats1990 said:

So what you are also saying is that there is zero chance Allen leaves right? Since he is a KY boy, no chance be would transfer after this year then correct?

Or if you do think he may transfer. Then I guess you are wanting one to two Ky boys to get scholarships each year, and also wanting to make sure those Ky boys definitely play right away too. This way they don’t leave to go elsewhere. 

Man if people are really not happy with Cal the last five years and being literally one shot away from the final four twice. Then I think many people would be unhappy with the results of this scenario of having half a roster of Ky boys and also needing to play them right away so they don’t leave. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

You said one to two Kentucky born players a year. Most teams have what, 12-15 guys on a roster. I am just doing simple math here. That would be up to 8 guys on the team from Kentucky. Again, effectively half the roster.

And goes back to my question... Are we sure there are even that many EVERY year good enough to play D1?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Even if they aren't very good? (Not saying that's the case with Powell, btw)

Probably CAL always has a couple of out of state kids that are his buddies kids sitting on the end of the bench who aren’t high D1 kids. 2023 Class has 3 Top 100 Ky kids Kaleb Gleen, Reed Sheppard and Colin Porter. Problem with Porter and Sheppard they play point guard and the #1 player in the class is Wagner a PG and CAL has that kid almost certainly signed sealed and delivered.

8 minutes ago, Tomcats1990 said:

Probably CAL always has a couple of out of state kids that are his buddies kids sitting on the end of the bench who aren’t high D1 kids. 2023 Class has 3 Top 100 Ky kids Kaleb Gleen, Reed Sheppard and Colin Porter. Problem with Porter and Sheppard they play point guard and the #1 player in the class is Wagner a PG and CAL has that kid almost certainly signed sealed and delivered.

I think if you really looked at Cal's teams over the years, you're going to have a very tough time finding a KY kid that he "should" have recruited over somebody they actually brought in, based on rankings alone. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I think if you really looked at Cal's teams over the years, you're going to have a very tough time finding a KY kid that he "should" have recruited over somebody they actually brought in, based on rankings alone. 

100% accurate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tomcats1990 said:

What kids has he gave scholarships too that are his buddies kids?  Are you now also complaining about who allows to walk on the team?

13 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

What kids has he gave scholarships too that are his buddies kids?  Are you now also complaining about who allows to walk on the team?

I’m complaining that he has 13 scholarships available and this season is using 11. He doesn’t use them and has said on multiple occasions he would not be caught short handed after the Jamal Murray, Tyler Ullis, Skal team yet continues to be short handed year after year. Fill the dang roster with players who can play at this level.

4 minutes ago, Tomcats1990 said:

I’m complaining that he has 13 scholarships available and this season is using 11. He doesn’t use them and has said on multiple occasions he would not be caught short handed after the Jamal Murray, Tyler Ullis, Skal team.

In today’s world of college basketball, it honestly  is smart not to use every single scholarship. With how often players transfer for every team these days. To how here at UK not sure who will go pro and who will stay. You need to know you definitely will have scholarships that will be available to offer, when recruiting. 

Plus at this rate would just give fans more to complain about, on how little Johnny who is a KY boy isn’t getting a fair shot and should be getting to play. If you just give scholarships just to give them. 

People can complain all this want, but until this season. The way Cal has our rosters together has led to tons of success here. 

• Like 2

On 3/10/2021 at 2:48 PM, bugatti said:

Simple concepts are hard to grasp at times around here.