St. Henry 61 Covington Catholic 60

mcpapa

I think it’s a three horse race in the 9th.  Senior leadership in March is so important.  St. Henry has a whole bunch of it.  They’ll be a very tough out, in the postseason.  Tough, talented, well coached and senior led.  

3 minutes ago, Samcro said:

I think it’s a three horse race in the 9th.  Senior leadership in March is so important.  St. Henry has a whole bunch of it.  They’ll be a very tough out, in the postseason.  Tough, talented, well coached and senior led.  

Probably even a four team race. A couple of very good first round games and both semifinals games are going to be great matchups.

4 hours ago, colonel-fan said:

Probably even a four team race. A couple of very good first round games and both semifinals games are going to be great matchups.

A whole lot of folks in here discounting that fourth team who knocked off two of the three teams most of you are figuring as the only threats of the 9th Region. Interesting. 

35 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

A whole lot of folks in here discounting that fourth team who knocked off two of the three teams most of you are figuring as the only threats of the 9th Region. Interesting. 

Or maybe someone legitimately forgot about the fourth team, by accident.  No slights intended.  

25 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Big win for St. Henry. If you are playing in a Catholic middle school program, this win by St. Henry gives you another thing to think about for high school.

No doubt. Especially looking at cov caths starting lineup this year. Huge win for the Cru. Wyatt Veith is a BAD man!

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

EvAjOLQXEAcA0FC.thumb.jpg.6bf235edc4a7bcf6ba8ce4eca49161be.jpg

Interesting. If I am not mistaken, Stocks has led the Colonels in scoring in 2 games this year and the Colonels lost both of those games.  I don't consider that a statement about Stocks. I consider it a statement about those other teams shutting down the other scoring threats for the Colonels.

Great call by the St. Henry students on the broadcast and the final seconds especially.  The thing that immediately stood out to me is the stoic reaction by Coach Dave Faust.  They say act like you've been there before and if anyone doesn't know what that means show them this video clip.  Coach realized  all that gave them was a tie game and a free throw yet to come and a last shot by cch after that.

• Like 3

I have a feeling the Empire just might strike back, but, we’ll have to see.  First loss against a NKY opponent in two years. In his tenth season of coaching CCH, Scott Ruthsatz now has 19 losses against 9th Region competition.  6 of those losses occurred in year 1.  Simply put, he’s owned the 9th, by any measure.

As an aside, if a kid chooses to attend St Henry because of Cov Cath’s roster or because of a 1 point regular season win, so be it.  Knock yourself out.  I have a weird feeling that Cov Cath will be just fine.  

CCH is not invincible this year.  They start one senior.  Yes, they are talented, but, St Henry, and the Birdies have strong senior leadership.  BW is talented and will make noise, featuring the likely all-time 9th Region scoring champ. I think senior leadership will be a huge factor in the tournament.  There’s just something about a senior’s sense of urgency.  

Separately, I don’t think the Birdies or Beechies shot particularly well against CCH.  Some of it is a credit to the D, but there were open looks.  If some of those fall in the post season, a 15 point game becomes a 5 point game, real quick.  In a close game, senior leadership is huge.

It’ll be fun.  Congrats to St Henry on the big win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, 859Radio said:

Great call by the St. Henry students on the broadcast and the final seconds especially.  The thing that immediately stood out to me is the stoic reaction by Coach Dave Faust.  They say act like you've been there before and if anyone doesn't know what that means show them this video clip.  Coach realized  all that gave them was a tie game and a free throw yet to come and a last shot by cch after that.

Coach Faust is a class act and all business on the court. So happy for him and the program. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Samcro said:

I have a feeling the Empire just might strike back, but, we’ll have to see.  First loss against a NKY opponent in two years.

As an aside, if a kid chooses to attend St Henry because of Cov Cath’s roster or because of a 1 point regular season win, so be it.  Knock yourself out.  I have a weird feeling that Cov Cath will be just fine.  

Obviously Cov Cath will be fine, even if zero basketball players from the Catholic middle school feeders go to CCH.

This win by St. Henry is a blow to the CCH aura.  If you are a top notch player you don't have to go to CCH. There are other options for that Catholic school education along with an opportunity to be top tier on the basketball court as well. Anyone who would try to dispel that thought looks more Machiavellian after this win.

• Haha 1