Bluegrasspreps Class 6A Playoff Preview

Tigerpride94

The 6A playoffs kickoff with #1 Trinity defending their 2019 championship along with their multiple top 25 national rankings and every other team a small speed bump in their way. The biggest question will be who faces Trinity in the championship. The top contenders being Male, North Hardin, Manual, St. X, Bryan Station, Henderson County, and Ryle which are all in the 6A top 10. Ballard is absent as a contender because of being in Trinity’s district. Depending on who advances, they may be eliminated by drawing Trinity based on RPI and hard to predict who that may be at this point. The first round produces mostly mismatches so shouldn’t be many surprises, and the 2nd round is where it starts getting interesting with ranked teams being eliminated. Listed below are the district matchups.

District 1:

#1 Henderson County vs. #4 Daviess County

Previous meeting: Henderson County 63-44

#2 McCracken County vs. #3 Apollo

Previous meeting: McCracken County 45-21

District 2:

#1 North Hardin vs. #4 Barren County

Previous meeting: North Hardin 38-6

#2 Central Hardin vs. #3 Meade County 

Previous meeting: Central Hardin 38-18

District 3:

#1 Manual vs. #4 Butler

Previous meeting: Manual 55-0

#2. St. Xavier vs. #3 Pleasure Ridge Park 

Previous meeting: St. X 50-13

District 4:

#1. Male (Bye)

#2. Fern Creek vs. #3 Bullitt East 

Previous meeting: Fern Creek 41-14

District 5:

#1 Trinity (Bye)

#2 Ballard vs. #4 Eastern

Previous meeting: Ballard 34-6

District 6:

#1 Ryle (Bye)

#2 Dixie Heights vs. #3 Simon Kenton

Previous meeting: Dixie Heights 28-14

District 7:

#1 Paul Dunbar vs. #4 Tates Creek

Previous meeting: Paul Dunbar 42-0

#2 Henry Clay vs. #3 Lafayette 

Previous meeting: Henry Clay 7-0

District 8:

#1Bryan Station vs. #4 Madison Central

Previous meeting: Bryan Station 21-0

#2 George Rogers Clark vs. #3 Oldham County

Previous meeting: George Rogers Clark 48-28

Note: Marshall County, Southern, and Campbell County opted out of the playoffs creating the 3 byes.

• Like 1

We are now down to to the sweet 16, and the district championship round of the 6A playoffs. At least one ranked time will lose with Manual or St.X, with potentially one or two more, with Henderson County and Bryan Station having competitive opponents. After this round the seeding via RPI starts.  This is who is left:

Henderson County will host McCracken County and when they met earlier in the season, Henderson County won 21-14 so this could be another close one.

North Hardin will host Meade County and North Hardin defeated Meade County earlier in the season 37-0. North Hardin should take care of business and advance in this one.

Manual will host St. Xavier and they didn’t meet in the regular season. This game is a tossup and either winning would not be a surprise.

Male will host Bullitt East and Male should have no trouble advancing as earlier in the season, Male won 49-0.

Trinity will host Eastern in what is the largest mismatch in the 2nd round. Trinity defeated Eastern 48-3 earlier in the season.

Ryle will host Dixie Heights and it will be interesting if Dixie Heights plays better this time after losing to Ryle 44-14 earlier in the season.

Paul Dunbar will host Henry Clay, and Paul Dunbar had a stellar defensive effort in their earlier game defeating Henry Clay 20-0. Can Henry Clay close the gap?

Bryan Station will host Oldham County in what should be another good game as Bryan Station won 25-20 earlier in the season.

4 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

I would like to see Manual get to championship not because I think they can beat Trinity because no one can but I just think Manual deserves to get there St X and Male has had there time in the spotlight and I think it’s Manual’s turn.

Because of RPI they would most likely have to play Trinity in semifinals depending on how the bracket would shake out. Unfortunate year to have their best team in decades when Trinity has one of their best teams. 

On 11/22/2020 at 3:59 PM, Tkinslow said:

I would like to see Manual get to championship not because I think they can beat Trinity because no one can but I just think Manual deserves to get there St X and Male has had there time in the spotlight and I think it’s Manual’s turn.

The only way Manual deserves to get there is to win the game necessary to be there. That is the beauty of this game, you earn everything you get. UP to this point Manual deserves nothing. 

If Manual is good enough and Covid avoids them, then they too will get waxxed in the title game.

• Like 2