Caldwell County at Murray Predictions/Updates (2A Playoffs)

DevilMayCare

Tiger Tussle  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who advances?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/21/2020 at 12:00 AM

Black and blue Tigers clash to see who roars loudest

Football is a game of inches. If Caldwell County coach Will Barnes didn't already know this before his team's overtime loss to Murray on October 16th, he certainly did afterward. The Tigers from Princeton came up agonizingly short on a fourth and goal at the one yard line in OT, giving the Tigers from Murray a 41-34 victory. Quarterback Rowdy Sokolowski shined for Murray that night with five touchdowns. His blue clad counterpart, Russ Beshear, was nearly his equal, accounting for four touchdowns of his own.

The winner gets another crack at Mayfield, who received a first round bye. Both teams dropped a 21-20 decision to the Cards in the regular season. District 1 could prove to be the most competitive in 2A, with this game serving as one of the state's best first round match-ups.

4m9w6s.thumb.jpg.6240d5c6e15ed4a4220f011ac1fa0cc8.jpg

On 11/14/2020 at 9:05 AM, snakesnot_2000 said:

I would like Murray to win, so Mayfield can put them out.

Not going to lie, this made me laugh. I don't think Caldwell loses though. I also think Caldwell matches up better than Murray does against Mayfield. Mayfield definitely the favorite but all three could make a decent run this year.

It shocks me that Murray put up 41 in their first game against Caldwell running that vanilla offense. I know defense has never been Caldwell's strong suit, but it makes me wonder if they have the juice to make it to the regional round.  Having seen both teams play, I think Murray has the edge with better defense and running game.  Caldwell needs to control LOS and make Murray QB throw in more obvious passing situations.  Dry weather will help Caldwell's cause, as they have the best passing attack in the district.  Should be a good one, with less points this time.  Murray by 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having followed Murray a little this year, I think they made a change in their scheme which has helped them a lot. They lost some games early this year almost solely on turnovers. It seems as if they realized their strength is some really good linemen, some good runners and pretty decent defense. It has given them a chance to win every game since doing that including mayfield. Murray's starting rb didnt play against caldwell the first go around so I will stick with Murray in a close one.

Murray 27

Caldwell 21

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BadaBing said:

It shocks me that Murray put up 41 in their first game against Caldwell running that vanilla offense. I know defense has never been Caldwell's strong suit, but it makes me wonder if they have the juice to make it to the regional round.  Having seen both teams play, I think Murray has the edge with better defense and running game.  Caldwell needs to control LOS and make Murray QB throw in more obvious passing situations.  Dry weather will help Caldwell's cause, as they have the best passing attack in the district.  Should be a good one, with less points this time.  Murray by 3.

50 minutes ago, Bud_Kilmer said:

Having followed Murray a little this year, I think they made a change in their scheme which has helped them a lot. They lost some games early this year almost solely on turnovers. It seems as if they realized their strength is some really good linemen, some good runners and pretty decent defense. It has given them a chance to win every game since doing that including mayfield. Murray's starting rb didnt play against caldwell the first go around so I will stick with Murray in a close one.

Murray 27

Caldwell 21

Great insight, guys. No matter which side the scoreboard favors, this looks like a classic in the making.

Murray has won three of four playoff meetings with Caldwell County, including a 34-17 victory last season. Murray also eliminated Caldwell in 2013 and 2014.  Caldwell beat Murray in the regional final on the way to a state runner-up finish in 2012.