2020 Mr. Football Watchlist (11/11)

DevilMayCare

2020 Mr. Football  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who would get your vote right now?

• Nick Broyles
    • Jager Burton
    • Leetavious Cline
    • Isaac Dixon
    • Clay Games
    • Jagger Gillis
    • Cam Hergott
    • Nathan McElroy
    • Dylan Preston
    • Kaiya Sheron
    • Braedon Sloan
    • LaVell Wright
    • Someone else

In lieu of the weekly update (because frankly, hardly anyone played last week and no one is playing this week), we'll use this opportunity to pause and take a look at some of this year's more prominent Mr. Football candidates and take the temperature of the room here, so to speak, with a BGP poll. 

(Alphabetically)

Nick Broyles (QB), Franklin County

Regular season: 72/98 for 1,224 yards and 14 touchdowns/0 interceptions

With the way Franklin County's offense hums with Broyles behind center, a full season would likely bring unrivaled numbers. But that wasn't in the cards this season, for multiple reasons. First came the long, covid related layoff, followed by two missed games for undisclosed reasons, leaving him with only four games under his belt. A deep playoff run - one that requires a takedown of Central - that includes his typical production is almost essential for Broyles to get his name near the forefront of the Mr. Football conversation.

Jager Burton (OL/DL), Frederick Douglass

Unquestionably one of the best football players in the state. He just lacks access to the numbers that have always gone hand in hand with winning Mr. Football. An offensive lineman has never won the award, so an unprecedented vote would have to fall his way. A dominant run to Kroger Field, where he'll play his college ball, is probably a must for Burton to have a shot.

Leetavious Cline (RB/DB), West Carter

Regular season: 149 carries for 1,403 yards and 21 touchdowns - 37 tackles/1 pick-six

Cline is 2A's leading rusher and scorer, finding the end zone via the ground, air, pick-six, and scoop and score. He's led the Comets to a 7-1 record and program high marks in various rankings (#2 RPI, #6 BGP, and #5 AP). Definitely a darkhorse candidate, but he's been the centerpiece of an effort to elevate West Carter's program a few notches over the last couple of years. If not for Hergott, Cline is probably your 2A MVP.

Isaac Dixon (RB/DB), Belfry

Regular season: 97 carries for 1,289 yards and 19 touchdowns - 114 receiving yards/2 touchdowns 

One of the truly special backs at a program with a long history of them. Each week, he uses an arsenal of spin moves, jukes, and sprinter's speed to write a new chapter in Belfry lore. Dixon specializes in finding daylight where there seemingly is none. He leads 3A in scoring and ranks third in the class in rushing for the defending champions and one of this year's favorites. If there's a strike against him, it's the lack of major college offers. If Belfry rides him to another championship, look for his name to hang around Mr. Football conversations through the finish line.

Clay Games (QB), Elizabethtown

Regular season: 89/141 for 1,401 yards and 20 TDs/0 ints.

Games' razor sharp play this season has pushed E'town to #3 in the BGP 3A rankings and the top spot in the RPI. His stock has risen dramatically in the past few weeks with great outings against the two ranked teams on Elizabethtown's schedule. Games was a combined 28/41 for 443 yards and five touchdowns against Bardstown and North Bullitt. He's remained unflappable, seemingly getting better and better as the season's progressed. 

Jagger Gillis (QB), Boyle County

Regular season: 77/114 for 1,355 yards and 20 TDs/1 int. - 214 rushing yards/8 TDs

When Justin Haddix made the move from Corbin to Boyle County, one of the challenges that awaited him was developing a suitable replacement for Reed Lanter, a 2019 Mr. Football contender. The weight of that challenge was lightened by the arrival of Gillis from Anderson County. The athletic, 6'3" quarterback with a cannon for a right arm has been a driving force behind the Rebels not missing a beat this season. His touchdown to interception ratio of 20/1 is second best in the state among quarterbacks with at least a hundred pass attempts. Boyle could be looking at another deep playoff push, allowing Gillis to grow his visibility as a Mr. Football contender.

Cam Hergott (QB), Beechwood

Regular season: 114/152 for 1,702 yards and 16 touchdowns/3 interceptions - 512 rushing yards/7 touchdowns 

If you're looking for the most complete resume amongst quarterbacks, Hergott might be your guy. He's the unquestioned leader and field general for a championship contender, with numbers that hold up well against other watchlist QBs. Not only has he played more football this year than contemporaries like Sheron, Broyles, and McElroy, but he's delivered every week. He averaged 300 yards of total offense when Beechwood played up in competition in weeks 1-4, and he's 53 of 62 with 13 touchdowns and zero picks over his last four games, including a perfect night against NCC. Like Dixon, the argument against him starts with a lack of D1 offers.

Nathan McElroy (QB), Trinity

Regular season: 70/104 for 844 yards and 10 touchdowns/2 interceptions

First, the argument against his placement here: Trinity has been so dominant week in and week out, that McElroy hasn't had to keep his foot on the accelerator for four quarters, and it's reflected in his production. Add in the fact that the Rocks have only played six games, one of which McElroy missed, and he's trailing far behind other candidates, statistically. Now the argument for him: It's hard to imagine Trinity not romping its way through the playoffs and claiming another state title. If McElroy can pick up his production and claim a second championship, and maybe help Trinity slide into the nation's top 10, he might at least appear on some ballots.

Dylan Preston (RB/LB), Johnson Central

Regular season: 84 carries for 1,118 yards and 21 touchdowns/3 receiving touchdowns/6.5 sacks/1 pick-six

Simply one of the most impactful two-way football players in the state. Offensively, Preston has scored at an absurd pace this season, finding the endzone every 3.6 times he gets his hands on the ball. He's dominated games while carrying the ball just a handful of times, and he's played the role of workhorse, toting the rock 29 times against Belfry. His offensive excellence, combined with his tendency to blow up plays in the backfield and generally wreak havoc from his linebacker position, make him as complete a player as the watchlist has seen this year.

Kaiya Sheron (QB), Somerset

Regular season: 78/133 for 1,399 yards and 11 touchdowns/4 interceptions - 316 rushing yards/6 touchdowns

Sheron checked all the boxes to begin the season. He was a quarterback coming off a big statistical junior year and a state championship, his team was the pre-season #1 in its class, and he was already committed to UK, which, like it or not, is a big boost for any Mr. Football candidate in this state. He is still a very viable contender for the award, but his season has taken a downturn of late. The last time we saw him, he was limping off the field after throwing three picks against LCA, as the Jumpers lost their #1 ranking. He then sat out a spotlight game against Corbin two weeks later. This is nothing that revenge over LCA and a second straight state title won't fix, but that's a mouthful that's much easier said than done.

Braedon Sloan (RB), Wayne County

Regular season: 125 carries for 1,415 yards and 25 touchdowns

Sloan leads the state in touchdowns and ranks second in rushing yards, despite only playing six games. His yards per game average is forty yards clear of the guy behind him at #2 and he's topped two hundred yards four times this season. Every week, he dazzles fans and opposing defenses alike with one highlight reel jaunt after another. No one has been able to slow him down yet, but he did sit out Wayne County's eagerly anticipated clash with Corbin, a team that Sloan ran for what seemed like a mile against last season. The Redhounds are the ultimate hurdle for him and the Cardinals, but in a stacked district, there's no guarantee he gets another crack at them.

Lavell Wright (RB), North Hardin

Regular season: 127 carries for 884 yards and 11 touchdowns - 27 receptions for 278 yards and a touchdown

Wright's versatility as a runner and receiver out of the backfield make him one of the most difficult players in Kentucky to defend, and that's even with defenses keying on him every week. He's led North Hardin past the likes of Frederick Douglass and Belfry this season, with the Trojans achieving a #3 BGP ranking and #2 position in the 6A RPI. Like Sheron, he has a commitment to UK in his back pocket. A district championship and potential playoff win over a top tier Louisville school might position Wright as the Mr. Football favorite, something this season has lacked.

Let's see where BluegrassPreps stands right now on Mr. Football for 2020. Cast your vote above.

• Thanks 2

As I have said before, Mr. Football voting is done by the statewide Associated Press members and not by coaches or a panel.

Northern Kentucky has 2 total votes that I know of -- and there's zero guarantee NKY voters promote/nominate Hergott over Jacob.

Mayer was a different beast last year. Two-way star. Bigger school. D1 offers galore.

If I had to guess some of the votes:

*Elizabethtown (Wright then Games)
*Somerset (Sharon first, Sloan a second-place vote; maybe Tristan Cox)
*Frankfort (Broyles)
*KPG (Long)
*Lexington (Burton or Crowdus)
*Danville (Gillis)
*Ashland (Pittman, Preston, Cline)
*Louisville (McElroy, Jack Dingle, Eli Blakey, Charlie Ely)
*Bowling Green (Jordan Dingle or Dunn)
*Hopkinsville (Reece Jesse)
*Owensboro (Parker Bates or Treyvon Tinsley; Wimsatt is 2022 class)

I'm not sure who lists Hergott second or if he could carry undecided Western Kentucky. I think Burton or Sharon takes some of the WKY votes. 

32 minutes ago, Nathaniel Bryan said:

As I have said before, Mr. Football voting is done by the statewide Associated Press members and not by coaches or a panel.

Northern Kentucky has 2 total votes that I know of -- and there's zero guarantee NKY voters promote/nominate Hergott over Jacob.

Mayer was a different beast last year. Two-way star. Bigger school. D1 offers galore.

*Frankfort (Broyles)
*KPG (Long)
*Danville (Gillis)

I'm not sure who lists Hergott second or if he could carry undecided Western Kentucky. I think Burton or Sharon takes some of the WKY votes. 

Too bad...

I do agree the Mr. Football race is wide open this year. 

20 minutes ago, Nathaniel Bryan said:

*Frankfort (Broyles)
*KPG (Long)
*Danville (Gillis)

I’m not sure who the favorite is, but one thing is clear. Hergott is 2nd in the state in total yards of offense with 2,214 which is good for 276.8 yards per game and 23 total TDs.  He is first in completion percentage at 75% and sits 7th in passing yards. You often like to point out that he plays in a smaller class, but the first 4 games of the year were against 4A Corbin, 5A Cov Cath, 6A Ryle, and 6A Dixie Heights, in those 4 games Hergott accounted for 1,204 yards of offense, 301 yds per game average and 7 TDs. As far as getting the NKY vote, the stats and eyes don’t lie, anyone that watched that game between Beechwood and CCH knows who the best QB on the field was, and he was wearing Red and White.

Also, if you look at Cal Preps strength of schedule, Beechwood’s schedule ranks better than many of the names on this list.

Is Cam Hergott the favorite, that’s open for debate, but he certainly belongs in the conversation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

I’m not sure who the favorite is, but one thing is clear. Hergott is 2nd in the state in total yards of offense with 2,214 which is good for 276.8 yards per game and 23 total TDs.  He is first in completion percentage at 75% and sits 7th in passing yards. You often like to point out that he plays in a smaller class, but the first 4 games of the year were against 4A Corbin, 5A Cov Cath, 6A Ryle, and 6A Dixie Heights, in those 4 games Hergott accounted for 1,204 yards of offense, 301 yds per game average and 7 TDs. As far as getting the NKY vote, the stats and eyes don’t lie, anyone that watched that game between Beechwood and CCH knows who the best QB on the field was, and he was wearing Red and White.

Also, if you look at Cal Preps strength of schedule, Beechwood’s schedule ranks better than many of the names on this list.

Is Cam Hergott the favorite, that’s open for debate, but he certainly belongs in the conversation.

Excellent post @gbballfan21!

36 minutes ago, Nathaniel Bryan said:

*Frankfort (Broyles)
*KPG (Long)
*Danville (Gillis)

I'm a Cov Cath guy, and there is no way that Jacob should be in the conversation with Hergott based on performance and statistics this year IMHO.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Tones said:

I'm a Cov Cath guy, and there is no way that Jacob should be in the conversation with Hergott based on performance and statistics this year IMHO.

Agreed. Jacob's year has been underwhelming, relative to preseason expectations. He has all the tools to be a great quarterback, but the weapons that surrounded him the last two seasons aren't there for him this year. If I'm a NKY voter, and it's between Jacob and Hergott, the latter is getting my vote with zero hesitation. 

I will re-phrase:

What would it take to cause a Western Kentucky voter (and there plenty of them) to vote for a small-school kid with no major college offers nor a lot of hype for Mr. Football?

This isn't about most deserving or best stats (Nick Bohn set the national record for a big school and a strength of schedule that dwarfs ones played this year and was a mere afterthought).

It's about who the voters are and where they come from.

Given that, how would you sway these voters who you desperately need on your side?

59 minutes ago, Nathaniel Bryan said:

I will re-phrase:

What would it take to cause a Western Kentucky voter (and there plenty of them) to vote for a small-school kid with no major college offers nor a lot of hype for Mr. Football?

This isn't about most deserving or best stats (Nick Bohn set the national record for a big school and a strength of schedule that dwarfs ones played this year and was a mere afterthought).

Given that, how would you sway these voters who you desperately need on your side?

You can buttress your argument for provincial voting by reviewing the non-selection of  Rondale Moore .    Admittedly, I am biased  but then probably so were the voters.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tcjkbt said:

You can buttress your argument for provincial voting by reviewing the non-selection of  Rondale Moore .    Admittedly, I am biased  but then probably so were the voters.

I would say that was more than provincial voting and argue it was either anti-Louisville or anti-Trinity bias. 

2 hours ago, Nathaniel Bryan said:

I will re-phrase:

These comments are a self indictment of the AP. 

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

These comments are a self indictment of the AP. 

I agree, the AP sounds like an uneducated good ole boys club.  

Like I already said in this thread, too bad the AP is the organization making the decision. 

• Like 1