Sign in to follow this  
mcpapa

UConn Cancels Season

First FBS program to do so.  As an independent, probably not much of a domino effect with respect to the schedules of other programs. 

It will give the mid-majors pause re. shutting down vs. continuing a losing financial proposition this year. 

Hard to play when you can't get any games. 

• Like 1

They lost Virginia, UNC, Indiana, Illinois, and Ole Miss due to P5 cutbacks. Then Maine postponed. That left UMass, Old Dominion, Liberty, San Jose State, Middle Tennessee, and Army. 

Will be interesting to see what happens to other independents. BYU, Massachusetts, Liberty, Army, and New Mexico State. I suppose they could schedule each other and try to utilize the Big 12 plus one plan or the Sun Belt plan. 

14 minutes ago, I gotta go to work said:

Will be interesting to see what happens to other independents. BYU, Massachusetts, Liberty, Army, and New Mexico State. I suppose they could schedule each other and try to utilize the Big 12 plus one plan or the Sun Belt plan. 

I say to all of them what I say to ND, join a conference. ND had the ability at the last minute to join the ACC this year. I get these other schools don’t have that. But when you have 5 Power 5 conferences and 5 Group of 5 conferences and each P5 has a G5 conference geographically in the same region, it makes sense to play them. In my perfect world it would look something like this. The Big 10 and the MAC come together and form an alliance. Set up a relegation type system so for instance the top 2 teams in the MAC move up to the Big 10 the next year and the 2 worst big ten teams move down to the MAC the next year. I think that would be great for the sport. 

16 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

I say to all of them what I say to ND, join a conference. ND had the ability at the last minute to join the ACC this year. I get these other schools don’t have that. But when you have 5 Power 5 conferences and 5 Group of 5 conferences and each P5 has a G5 conference geographically in the same region, it makes sense to play them. In my perfect world it would look something like this. The Big 10 and the MAC come together and form an alliance. Set up a relegation type system so for instance the top 2 teams in the MAC move up to the Big 10 the next year and the 2 worst big ten teams move down to the MAC the next year. I think that would be great for the sport. 

Wow...do you think this is the English Premier League?  LOL

1 hour ago, nkypete said:

Wow...do you think this is the English Premier League?  LOL

It should operate very similarly with regards to that. I think it’d be great for the sport. The smaller G5 schools will be able to get some of the revenue from the P5 conferences. They get to prove their case that they deserve to be in consideration for the playoff. Think about the UCF thing that happened. UCF would have moved up to the ACC the year after going undefeated. They would have been able to prove that they belong the next year. We could have had an epic matchup between Clemson and UCF that next year. I think it would be amazing for the sport. It would give schools like Rutgers, Arkansas, Kansas, etc. the ability to get their footing and build better programs by winning more games, making a bowl game, gaining confidence. Then once they get to that level again, they’ll be much more competitive. It also would make matchups at the end of the year about irrelevant teams, matter because they don’t want to get relegated. Bottom line, more meaningful football. More to play for than just a national title and a bowl game. I think it would be the best thing to happen to college football ever or at least since the introduction of the BCS and having an actual national championship game. 

5 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

It should operate very similarly with regards to that. I think it’d be great for the sport. The smaller G5 schools will be able to get some of the revenue from the P5 conferences. They get to prove their case that they deserve to be in consideration for the playoff. Think about the UCF thing that happened. UCF would have moved up to the ACC the year after going undefeated. They would have been able to prove that they belong the next year. We could have had an epic matchup between Clemson and UCF that next year. I think it would be amazing for the sport. It would give schools like Rutgers, Arkansas, Kansas, etc. the ability to get their footing and build better programs by winning more games, making a bowl game, gaining confidence. Then once they get to that level again, they’ll be much more competitive. It also would make matchups at the end of the year about irrelevant teams, matter because they don’t want to get relegated. Bottom line, more meaningful football. More to play for than just a national title and a bowl game. I think it would be the best thing to happen to college football ever or at least since the introduction of the BCS and having an actual national championship game. 

The problem with relegation is graduations and the unavoidable transient nature of college athletes...there's always 1 quarter or so of your roster coming and going every year..  Typically, the smaller schools will move up AFTER the core that made them good for a year or two leaves.  Then they get smacked around by the big boys for a season, which hurts them in recruiting.  And no way an Arkansas or Kansas would sign on, knowing they could get dumped down a notch. I get what your saying.  But I don't think the P5 or the mids would see the benefit in such a system.

9 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

The problem with relegation is graduations and the unavoidable transient nature of college athletes...there's always 1 quarter or so of your roster coming and going every year..  Typically, the smaller schools will move up AFTER the core that made them good for a year or two leaves.  Then they get smacked around by the big boys for a season, which hurts them in recruiting.  And no way an Arkansas or Kansas would sign on, knowing they could get dumped down a notch. I get what your saying.  But I don't think the P5 or the mids would see the benefit in such a system.

I get what you’re saying, but I disagree with some aspects of it. I think it would dramatically help some of those smaller schools in recruiting and it would place a huge benefit to those schools who are perennially top G5 programs. UC, UCF, Boise State. Look no further than what TCU did after joining the Big 12. They competed almost instantly and rose to the top of the conference after just a couple years. Those top G5 schools every year aren’t going to get smacked around by the P5 schools. Move UCF and UC up to the ACC this year and they would instantly compete. I’m not sure I would hand either of those teams a guaranteed loss to anyone in the ACC besides Clemson. That only helps them in recruiting. Then let’s look at it from a Kansas or Arkansas perspective. They need to build their programs. It would be dramatically easier to build your program by winning 8-9 games a year in a G5 conference and work your way back up to competing at a power 5 level. Those programs are just dreadful and it takes positive momentum to build a program. There’s no positive momentum to be found at the bottom of a power 5 conference and get your brains beat in year in and year out. I would think the Kansas, Rutgers, Arkansas, Vandy, Oregon States, of the world would relish that opportunity not scoff at it. The money would be the biggest factor, but if the conferences had a partnership then the revenue sharing would be more equitable anyways. 

2 hours ago, I gotta go to work said:

I'd imagine BYU is making phone calls to every Big 12 school considering that league is doing a +1 method of scheduling. They're likely doing the same for CUSA, Sun Belt, and AAC schools that are in the western part of the country. Finally, a home-and-home with New Mexico State wouldn't surprise me either.

2 hours ago, I gotta go to work said:

Will be interesting to see what happens to other independents...Army.

Army is an interesting case. Independent in football and you know they'll do everything they can to play Navy (AAC's Aresco said they'd do everything they could to preserve that game). However, Army plays in the Patriot League in every other sport. The Patriot League moved football to the spring. Any chance, for one year only, and because scheduling as an independent is almost impossible (even more so with Notre Dame and Connecticut gone), that Army plays a spring Patriot League football schedule?

8 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Army is an interesting case. Independent in football and you know they'll do everything they can to play Navy (AAC's Aresco said they'd do everything they could to preserve that game). However, Army plays in the Patriot League in every other sport. The Patriot League moved football to the spring. Any chance, for one year only, and because scheduling as an independent is almost impossible (even more so with Notre Dame and Connecticut gone), that Army plays a spring Patriot League football schedule?

Navy is in the Patriot League for all other sports as well. Navy's not going give up their fall football and the Army/Navy game if the most important game for both schools. I don't see them cancelling that game unless it is dictated by the virus and all football is cancelled. 

7 minutes ago, swamprat said:

Navy is in the Patriot League for all other sports as well. Navy's not going give up their fall football and the Army/Navy game if the most important game for both schools. I don't see them cancelling that game unless it is dictated by the virus and all football is cancelled. 

Agreed. My point was more along the lines of an Army/Navy game in mid-December (like always) then Army play a spring Patriot schedule. Again, one year only. 

5 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Agreed. My point was more along the lines of an Army/Navy game in mid-December (like always) then Army play a spring Patriot schedule. Again, one year only. 

The issue with spring football is you’re going to be asking college students to play 2 full seasons of football in a calendar year. I don’t think that’s fair to do. I’ve never thought the movement to move football to the spring is a good idea. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

The issue with spring football is you’re going to be asking college students to play 2 full seasons of football in a calendar year. I don’t think that’s fair to do. I’ve never thought the movement to move football to the spring is a good idea. 

Agreed. It solves nothing, IMO, and only creates more of an issue in 2021. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this