7 Inning Double Headers

Well, it makes sense for this year.

On some level I appreciate the fact MLB is able and willing to modify on the fly, on the other hand it is painfully obvious MLB management is an incompetent mess. We are basically one week into this thing and MLB has within the past seven days had a team quarantined, tweaked how the playoffs are set to run, and now determines this seven inning double-header thing.

1 hour ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I understand why they would do double headers, but I was curious about them being shortened to 7 innings.

I guess they need to be prepared if they need to do multiple double headers several days in a row.  MLB not looking good right now in that area.

21 hours ago, mcpapa said:

How many innings does a starting pitcher have to pitch in a seven inning game to qualify for a win?  A save?  Four?  Two thirds?

That's a good point papa maybe still 5 but at least 4 I'd think. However with my above post trying to be funny Bell would probably now start pulling pitchers after 3 or 4 innings instead of the 5th or 6th.

• Like 2

I think it's fine for this year.  Doubleheaders had become pretty uncommon, and obviously that will change this year, as each team only has 6 or 7 scheduled off days all year.  Doubleheaders are going to be common with so few off days, and teams could be seeing a couple or more doubleheaders a week.  I like the idea that new things are being tried and I think some improvements will come about as a result of this abbreviated season.  For example, I thought I'd hate starting with a runner on second in extra innings.  Turns out, it's not so bad.  Baseball more than any other sport has hard core traditionalists, that are keeping the game from evolving. Let's give things a chance before proclaiming we hate them.

• Like 2