Should the KHSAA approve "emergency transfers" from virtual schools to in person schools?

theguru

I think it is only fair if any school/school system refuses to have in person learning students from that school should be able to immediately transfer to any school willing to take them that has in person learning.  Also, they should be able to play sports immediately.  I think all applications should get immediate approval with no strings attached. 

How about it KHSAA?  

Agree, disagree, something else?

• Like 1

Just now, TheDeuce said:

I think people should be able to transfer wherever/whenever they want already. This isn't any different for me. 

I agree we should all have school choice.

My concern here is the late timing, I think the KHSAA needs to rubber stamp all transfer requests.  Additionally, if there is "educational money" involved that money should also be redirected to the new school with no restrictions. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

With concerns about distancing in schools with existing numbers, I don't see a lot of districts giddy about getting waves of new students if they opt for in-person instruction.

I should have included, students should be able to transfer wherever/whenever, as long as the school they want to attend has room AND everyone in that schools district has the chance to attend first. 

There is some recent precedent. When Trimble County dropped football a couple of years ago they had four students transfer to Carroll County to play football and were immediately ruled eligible. I don’t know if a school “dropping” a sport would be viewed differently than a school/district not allowing a sport to be played but the above case is where any argument would have some merit. 

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

If I’m a Jefferson County private school, especially a smaller one like Holy Cross or DeSales or CAL, I’m swinging the door wide open if JCPS cancels fall sports. 

Honestly, that is why I started this thread.  

And who knows, maybe some studs from Male and Manual will want to play for T or X. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, theguru said:

Honestly, that is why I started this thread.  

And who knows, maybe some studs from Male and Manual will want to play for T or X. 

I mentioned the smaller schools in part because I’d imagine they have more room to grow enrollment wise. T and X have both been at ~1300 boys for years. But I’ll readily admit I know very little about enrollment rules/caps in Louisville private schools. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

KHSAA transfer form has reasons for transfer rule waiving as cessation of school program.

2F1B4466-9E70-4C1C-91D8-6B9DAE65EA37.png

Thanks for sharing.

I am also hearing the admissions departments at the private schools around Jefferson County are ready to rock and roll. 

• Like 1