Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

George Floyd killed while in custody of four Minneapolis police officers

Featured Replies

He wasn't cuffed?

 

I don't know. Hence the query on my part.

 

Someone else posted that when put on the stretcher he was cuffed.

 

Which brings me back to the now, even more overpowering question - If cuffed, why the need to put your knee on the back of his neck to control him?

  • Replies 32
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sad, repulsive story. Floyd was allegedly detained by police because he matched the description of a suspect in a forgery case. One officer pressed his knee to the neck of Floyd, who pleaded with the officer, saying he could not breathe. In a video that has gone viral, bystanders are questioning the officer's physicality, but to no avail. Floyd went limp and was pronounced dead. All four officers were fired and the FBI is investigating.

 

I haven't watched the video, but this is inexcusable.

 

I saw the video and it is very disturbing.

 

As a psyc nurse who has been involved in many restraint situations, we are repeatedly educated in the right and wrong way to deal with violent people, starting with deescalating the agitated person in the first place. One thing that is always stressed is there can be NO airway obstruction. No knees on the chest or neck and nursing is always responsible for watching the patient airway.

 

Do officers get similar training? I have the utmost respect for our officers who deal with awful things on a daily basis, and handle it professionally the vast majority of the time. However, this is horribly unbelievable! He had the guy down, he wasn’t fighting and had his knee on his neck. He didn’t seem to care that he was being videoed, and didn’t care that he was repeatedly being told by bystanders and Mr Floyd that the he couldn’t breathe. He seemed quite casual about the whole thing. His fellow officer then blocked the person making the video. When Mr. Floyd said “Please don’t kill me,” it was chilling.

 

This kind of thing has happened before. How could he not know how dangerous putting a knee on someone’s neck was? How could he not know that he was killing this guy?

 

The second I saw the video yesterday I jumped out of my chair and yelled at the TV "positional asphyxiation" and immediately thought they were going to kill him.

 

To answer @Beechwoodfan yes we were trained on restraining people ad nauseam. Additionally, I would like to see the training records of the officers involved.

 

In short, if someone is having trouble breathing you cannot have them face down on their stomach and certainly not with your knee on their neck.

 

The whole thing is horrifying.

What information will people try to use to assassinate George's character like they do in all of these cases?

  • Author
I don't know. Hence the query on my part.

 

Someone else posted that when put on the stretcher he was cuffed.

 

Which brings me back to the now, even more overpowering question - If cuffed, why the need to put your knee on the back of his neck to control him?

 

Exactly.

 

Ugh, I hate this. I just hate it.

  • Author
What information will people try to use to assassinate George's character like they do in all of these cases?

 

Probably him working at a homeless shelter and dragging a baptism pool into the projects so that he could baptize people.

Probably him working at a homeless shelter and dragging a baptism pool into the projects so that he could baptize people.

 

He probably stole it, that's why he had to drag it.

He wasn't. This is just another example of cowards in badges on a power trip.

 

And this is how he acts when there is a group of people watching and videotaping him. Imagine what kind of things happen when no one is watching.

And this is how he acts when there is a group of people watching and videotaping him. Imagine what kind of things happen when no one is watching.

 

Exactly.

After watching the video, I feel like that’s murder...

My next question is, how do we fix it?

 

It’s obvious to me that this man was choked to death while he was no threat to the officers or the public.

 

Does more training fix that? I doubt it...

 

Accountability is the first word that comes to mind. I truly feel like I watched an officer murder a citizen. The officer has to be held accountable for that.

 

My second thought, and this will be a controversial one...

 

Are we to the point, right or wrong, that we need to have minority officers exclusively patrolling minority neighborhoods?

Edited by theguru
Rule 13

Nationally, 66 percent of police departments report seeing declining numbers of applications, according to a survey of 400 law enforcement agencies by the the Police Executive Research Forum (PERF).

 

I wonder what it will be by the end of the decade?

Nationally, 66 percent of police departments report seeing declining numbers of applications, according to a survey of 400 law enforcement agencies by the the Police Executive Research Forum (PERF).

 

I wonder what it will be by the end of the decade?

 

I wouldn't recommend the job to anyone. Plus the recent coronavirus enforcement is all illegal from where I sit meaning police officers have been thrust into situations where they don't belong.

 

In short, we are starting to replace police officers with more surveillance, technology, and eventually robocops. I think will get a lot worse before it gets better.

I wouldn't recommend the job to anyone. Plus the recent coronavirus enforcement is all illegal from where I sit meaning police officers have been thrust into situations where they don't belong.

 

In short, we are starting to replace police officers with more surveillance, technology, and eventually robocops. I think will get a lot worse before it gets better.

 

Unless robots are racists and afraid of minorities, I disagree.

My next question is, how do we fix it?

 

It’s obvious to me that this man was choked to death while he was no threat to the officers or the public.

 

Does more training fix that? I doubt it...

 

Accountability is the first word that comes to mind. I truly feel like I watched an officer murder a citizen. The officer has to be held accountable for that.

 

My second thought, and this will be a controversial one...

 

Are we to the point, right or wrong, that we need to have minority officers exclusively patrolling minority neighborhoods?

 

Cops need to start policing cops. There’s clearly too much protection of the bad ones. Let’s start there.

Unless robots are racists and afraid of minorities, I disagree.

 

You're skipping ahead but we have already had accusations of algorithm based systems being racist. I don't have a link but I remember reading about it a couple of different times.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.