Apple's Mobility Trends shows Shelter-In-Place is ending no matter what anyone wants

theguru

From Forbes.com:

Bye-bye shelter-in-place. Hello re-opening.

Apple’s Mobility Trends report shows that traffic in the US and other countries like Germany has pretty much doubled in the past three weeks. It had been down up to 72%. And location data provider Foursquare says that gas and fast food visits are back to pre-COVID-19 levels in the American Midwest.

In other words, at this point it doesn't matter what anyone wants, says, or dictates. It is over so we might as well open everything up and give the economy a chance to recover.

While the Apple data is measured by people searching Apple Maps for directions, the Foursquare data is captured by people actually visiting locations. 13 million Americans have granted the company permission to capture their data and use it in privacy-safe ways.”

Apple is using data from people looking things up on Maps. :lol2: 13 million people using Foursquare is less than 4% of the population.

While the Apple data is measured by people searching Apple Maps for directions, the Foursquare data is captured by people actually visiting locations. 13 million Americans have granted the company permission to capture their data and use it in privacy-safe ways.”

Apple is using data from people looking things up on Maps. :lol2: 13 million people using Foursquare is less than 4% of the population.

I am really not a numbers guy but 13 million continuous, updated data points sounds like an excellent barometer to me. And no matter what anyone thinks about the sample size the published results are eye opening.

Here is a link to the data if anyone is interested in looking at it further:

COVID‑19 - Mobility Trends Reports - Apple

Also, if any of our super smart math people want to give their opinion on this I would love to hear it.

Anywhere that has eased restrictions, it’s over and it will trickle out from there. If the options tomorrow came out that half of the country’s population would perish if you go out as normal, or go back to sheltering in-place, people would opt for 1/2 the country to perish.

In Western Ky I'm not sure that traffic every really slowed down that much. The places that were actually open were typically packed. I feel like once restaurants, barber shops, etc. open there will be no shortage of customers.

Anywhere that has eased restrictions, it’s over and it will trickle out from there. If the options tomorrow came out that half of the country’s population would perish if you go out as normal, or go back to sheltering in-place, people would opt for 1/2 the country to perish.

Here is what I can tell you. Most counties and municipalities were given the option to open their beaches a couple of weeks ago. I have links to live beach cams that I check every day. This afternoon around 1 PM there were very few on the beach at the Jacksonville pier and Daytona Beach. I'm talking less than 10. Ft. Myers on the other hand, which re-opened yesterday, had quite a few people on it. Not jammed or crowded, but more that I saw when Jacksonville and Daytona opened up.

Of the beaches that are still closed, I saw only one guy running on St. Pete Beach and 4 or 5 people on Siesta Key. Anna Maria Island had some people on it as did Indian Shores and Sunset Beach, but again, very few. Clearwater Beach was completely empty as were the Miami beaches.

Here is what I can tell you. Most counties and municipalities were given the option to open their beaches a couple of weeks ago. I have links to live beach cams that I check every day. This afternoon around 1 PM there were very few on the beach at the Jacksonville pier and Daytona Beach. I'm talking less than 10. Ft. Myers on the other hand, which re-opened yesterday, had quite a few people on it. Not jammed or crowded, but more that I saw when Jacksonville and Daytona opened up.

Of the beaches that are still closed, I saw only one guy running on St. Pete Beach and 4 or 5 people on Siesta Key. Anna Maria Island had some people on it as did Indian Shores and Sunset Beach, but again, very few. Clearwater Beach was completely empty as were the Miami beaches.

By the way, it was absolutely beautiful down here today. Blues skies, a cool breeze out of the northwest, and temps in the upper 70s to mid-80s north to south.

Exact same here in N. Ky.

That wasn't me bragging about the weather here. It's much nicer up there than here until mid-September. I wait until it's like 2 up there before I brag about that. :) My point is that people are staying away from the beaches, even the ones that are open, save for Ft. Myers, and the weather was not the reason. :thumb:

That wasn't me bragging about the weather here. It's much nicer up there than here until mid-September. I wait until it's like 2 up there before I brag about that. :) My point is that people are staying away from the beaches, even the ones that are open, save for Ft. Myers, and the weather was not the reason. :thumb:

Gotcha. I wasn't thinking you were bragging but was just pointing out that the temperature up here was the same as down there.