Major League Baseball considering radical realignment for 2020 Season

If the alternative is no baseball, go for it. However, with the unpredictable nature of the next 5 months, I think patience is preferrable to this. If they go with this alignment, then we are in July and large gatherings are ok due to some unexpected event, how do you move forward if you have a whole new alignment?

I believe it would be better to align along league lines. Teams move their entire set up for spring training. Why couldn't a team that trains in Florida trade with a team that trains in Arizona to get one location be all AL and the other location to be all NL? Start the season that way. You stay true to your league alignments and provide some continuity. That also gives teams the flexibility if it becomes possible during the summer to move back "home" and hold games in their home cities. I think that is the way they should go.

I would like this. It would be nice to see things changed up a little, and it would, I think, bring a lot of interest to the sport. The problem I see, is for the players. You'd be asking them to be away from their homes and families for basically the whole summer. I know there is a lot of travel in baseball, but not being "home" at all for a 100 game season would be tough.

I would like this. It would be nice to see things changed up a little, and it would, I think, bring a lot of interest to the sport. The problem I see, is for the players. You'd be asking them to be away from their homes and families for basically the whole summer. I know there is a lot of travel in baseball, but not being "home" at all for a 100 game season would be tough.

I think the bigger problem is all of the ancillary folks that would have to be involved, not making tons of money, being away from their families. Because if you go for a bubble type setup, you still have to have camera operators, statistics folks, transportation back and forth to stadium, hotel workers, etc. None of those folks are making the league minimum.

I think the bigger problem is all of the ancillary folks that would have to be involved, not making tons of money, being away from their families. Because if you go for a bubble type setup, you still have to have camera operators, statistics folks, transportation back and forth to stadium, hotel workers, etc. None of those folks are making the league minimum.

But they're working. You can easily find people willing to do those jobs right now, because otherwise, they're out of a job and on unemployment. No season means many more people are going to be unemployed or furloughed. Any type of season will save many of those jobs. Having a spouse in the business, I would like to see anything done to have some type of season, as long as it can be done safely.

• 3 weeks later...

Another 2020 realignment idea made the news this week. Three divisions of ten teams. Games played in home ballparks with no fans. Teams would only play teams in their division and would play 100-120 games. (my guess is 108 games, play each team 12 times).

East: NYY, NYM, BOS, TOR, PHI, WSH, MIA, TB, PIT, BAL.

Central: CIN, CHC, CHW, STL, KC, MIN, DET, MIL, CLE, ATL.

West: LAD, LAA, SD, ARI, COL, TEX, HOU, SEA, SF, OAK.

Interesting that they swapped ATL and PIT.

Another 2020 realignment idea made the news this week. Three divisions of ten teams. Games played in home ballparks with no fans. Teams would only play teams in their division and would play 100-120 games. (my guess is 108 games, play each team 12 times).

East: NYY, NYM, BOS, TOR, PHI, WSH, MIA, TB, PIT, BAL.

Central: CIN, CHC, CHW, STL, KC, MIN, DET, MIL, CLE, ATL.

West: LAD, LAA, SD, ARI, COL, TEX, HOU, SEA, SF, OAK.

Interesting that they swapped ATL and PIT.

I agree on the ATL / PIT swap. ATL fits better in the East with the Florida teams.

Here below is the link to the proposal: It would be interesting to say the least. The Reds would be in the division with probably one of the two best teams in baseball.

MLB considering radical realignment for 22 season: Grapefruit and Cactus leagues

The corresponding spring training facility, Advanced A, or AA affiliate is listed in the line below the division.

NORTH: New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays, Detroit Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates.

Tampa (NYY), Clearwater (PHIL), Dunedin (TOR), Lakeland (DET), Bradenton (PIT).

SOUTH: Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Baltimore Orioles.

Fort Myers (BOS), Fort Myers (MIN), North Port (ATL), Port Charlotte (TB), Sarasota (BAL)

EAST: Washington Nationals, Houston Astros, New York Mets, St. Louis Cardinals, Miami Marlins.

West Palm (WAS/HOU), West Palm (WAS/HOU), Port St. Lucie (NYM), Jupiter (MIA/STL), Jupiter (MIA/STL)

The Nationals and Astros share the same facility in West Palm. One team could remain there and the other use Jackie Robinson Stadium in Daytona (CIN).

The Marlins and Cardinals share the facility in Jupiter. Miami could play in Jacksonville at their AA affiliate.

It almost feels like MLB is crowd sourcing this. Just throw out a different realignment idea every couple of weeks and see which one people seem to like more. I'm hopeful baseball can return soon (only because I'm selfish and really miss it), but am very curious to see how it ends up playing out with regards to season length, playoff schedule, etc.

The corresponding spring training facility, Advanced A, or AA affiliate is listed in the line below the division.

NORTH: New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays, Detroit Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates.

Tampa (NYY), Clearwater (PHIL), Dunedin (TOR), Lakeland (DET), Bradenton (PIT).

SOUTH: Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Baltimore Orioles.

Fort Myers (BOS), Fort Myers (MIN), North Port (ATL), Port Charlotte (TB), Sarasota (BAL)

EAST: Washington Nationals, Houston Astros, New York Mets, St. Louis Cardinals, Miami Marlins.

West Palm (WAS/HOU), West Palm (WAS/HOU), Port St. Lucie (NYM), Jupiter (MIA/STL), Jupiter (MIA/STL)

The Nationals and Astros share the same facility in West Palm. One team could remain there and the other use Jackie Robinson Stadium in Daytona (CIN).

The Marlins and Cardinals share the facility in Jupiter. Miami could play in Jacksonville at their AA affiliate.

One of the stipulations in the 1st phase of reopening Florida was the allowance for sporting events to be played with no spectators allowed in the playing venue. Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade counties are not part of the 1st phase and will remain under their current restrictions.

If the Cardinals could play at the Oceola County Stadium, home of the Atlanta affiliate the Florida Firedogs, this could start as early as Monday.

I don't know about Arizona, though.