#4 Ashland vs. #10 Elizabethtown (Sweet 16® Rd. 1) Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Ashland was slowing down some at the end of the season. Struggled several games at the end. However, since tournament time they have been a well-oiled machine. They were not challenged in the regional tournament. The scores were not as bad as Coach Mays called off the dogs. This Ashland team is amazing with their movement of the ball.

These teams share one common opponent, Butler. Ashland beat Butler Dec 29 67-58. Elizabethtown lost to Butler on Juan 25 89-68. However, tournament time, so throw that stuff out the window. Survive and advance is the name of the game.

This one could be great as both teams play a very fast pace and are quick. Each team has an elite guard in Porter for Ashland and Franklin for Etown. Etown offensive rebounds and pressures the ball so well that i'll give them a slight edge.

At one time, E-Town took down John Hardin. I want to say this will be a double-digit win for the Town, but I think Ashland has had a very special season, and they find a way to keep it close. Elizabethtown with a game winning 3.

I’ll be pulling for Ashland to win the whole thing...

They are such a hard team to gauge though. They seem like the high school version of Gonzaga.

They didn’t shy away from competition early in the year with wins over Capital (WV), Warren Central, Butler and Trinity.

We really haven’t seen them play a team that would win a game in the sweet 16 since early January due to being in a weak region.

I’ll go with The Tomcats in this one. If they continue to shoot the 3 ball as well as they have the last few weeks, they’ll be a problem for anyone at state.

No Question in my opinion, Ashland is the favorite in this game. I think last year’s success in the Sweet Sixteen is a huge advantage for Ashland. Ashland made it to the Elite Eight last year and picked up a D-I quality transfer during the off-season. This team is put together perfectly for a successful run at Rupp. My only concern would be foul trouble. Having watched them a couple times on tape they do foul a lot. Straight arm hand checks, jamming and holding cutters away from the ball, offensive rebounding, etc. Depending how the game is called those habits could get them in trouble. I’m looking forward to a great tournament next week.