Wyatt Supplee-Carroll County

Tyler Slone-Oldham County

Hunter Penn-Woodford County

Justin Powell-North Oldham

Tyler Higdon-North Oldham

Jack Epperson-Grant County

Coach Of The Year

Coy Zerhusen-Oldham County

Players listed in order of votes received.

Voting is about as expected. My son and I sat down and tried to predict this about a week ago, and came up with almost the exact same list. Everyone of these young men EARNED their way onto this list and deserve all the accolades that come with it. Figured there might be some close voting for the final spot or two. Among the notables that didn't make it, and who probably all got some votes....

I am not saying that any of the players listed below SHOULD have been named to the All Region team, nor am I saying that the "reasons" listed below are real reasons at all....these are simply idle observations. But these are players who deserve a quick shout out - call it an "honorable mention" if you like - because they had some "studly" seasons...

Keishaun Mumphrey, Carroll County - one of a long, long line of Mumphreys to excel in Carrollton. Kind of surprised he didn't make it as he led the region in rebounding all season and had more double-doubles than anybody not named McKnight (and I'm not sure but what he might have had more than Dayvion did). May have been hurt by the "logic" that only so many All-Region players can come from a team with a losing record..

Brant Smithers, Walton-Verona 19.2 ppg, shoots over 50% from the field overall, 47.9% beyond the arc, 92.4% at the line, 80 made threes, 4.4 rebounds per game. All-Region caliber stats without question. Might have missed out in a close decision since he's only a sophomore. Historically, older players have edged out younger players "when all else is 'equal'".

Jeremy Davis, Simon Kenton - 101 made threes ranks him #1 in the state in total made threes; 49.0% shooting percentage beyond the arc ranks him among the elite. One of SK's top scorers all year long. Might have been hurt by the perception that he's just a scorer, and the list includes a lot of great scorers.

Ethan Lankford, Henry County -18.9 ppg, 83.3% free throw shooter; 72 made threes. Carried Henry County while Trevor Hardin was out. Great year, but hard to include a scorer like Lankford if a scorer like Davis doesn't make the cut.

Teagan Moore, Owen County - Freshman phenom. Moore might have had three "strikes" against him....one, he's just a freshman ("logic" - his day will come), two, he plays on a team that has won just six games ("logic" - player can't be 'too good' if his team has won so few games), and three, he got injured late in the season and has missed some games ("logic" - he might or might not have held up his standard of play). The stats were of all-region quality though: 20.4 ppg (top 5 in the region all season), 79% FT shooter, and team-high 6.2 rebounds / game. And just a freshman. And he didn't have the supporting cast to take the presssure off him during games.

Coach of the Year: I thought Zerhusen was the favorite for this award all season. Did a remarkable job with a talented group of underclassmen who many considered the favorite to win the 8th Region - NEXT year. Zerhusen has moved them to the role of favorite THIS year over the course of a season that saw Oldham go from pre-season unranked to Top 10.

Kudos to all the players on the 2020 All-Region Team! I really think every one of the young men on this team earned their spot on the team and richly deserve this honor!!! Ditto to Coach Zerhusen on a fantastic season and congrats on the Coach of the Year Award!!

CM

Here are the number of in-region games played by teams represented above (per the KHSAA site):

20 - Gallatin

16 - Henry

14 - Carroll, Grant

12 - Oldham

11 - Collins, Spencer

9 - North Oldham, South Oldham, Woodford

8 - Simon Kenton

Absolute robbery that Davis of Simon Kenton was overlooked. Senior with the best 3pt percentage in the state, not the region. Multiple players of other teams made list and their team is ranked lower. Someone please justify.

See the bolded above.

That holds no water at all. South and North each played one more in region game and they received two players. Not diminishing those two players but numbers of games played does not warrant consideration. The top teams that played more in region games played many against smaller schools that SK and others do not want to schedule. Should SK schedule Eminence, Owen, Henry, Carroll and others? Heck add one more player, you already have 16. I'm not sure what makes that number the total to be used.

That holds no water at all. South and North each played one more in region game and they received two players. Not diminishing those two players but numbers of games played does not warrant consideration. The top teams that played more in region games played many against smaller schools that SK and others do not want to schedule. Should SK schedule Eminence, Owen, Henry, Carroll and others? Heck add one more player, you already have 16. I'm not sure what makes that number the total to be used.

The number of players (16) is pretty simple....1 POY, the next 5 are the equivalent of the "first team", the next 5 are the "second team", and the final 5 are the "third team". Hence the number of players.

I tend to agree, though, that Davis was awfully deserving.

Schedule certainly tells us some things, but hard to be too harsh on some of the kids because of their schedules....for example, the NCKC schools are required to play each other, forming a large part of their schedules. The players have absolutely no input into who they face on the court. Granted, that makes the balloting a bit more challenging....would player X have scored xx ppg if they had played a more difficult schedule??? The task, however, is subjective - the coaches have to extrapolate as best they can.

Anyway, I don't think your assertion that the other "top teams" in the region played lesser schedules is really valid, anyway. Just using the RPI as a barometer, Oldham County, South Oldham, Collins, Spencer County, North Oldham, and Woodford County all show a strength of schedule that is stronger than SK's (Collins, North Oldham, and Woodford), nearly dead-even with SK (South Oldham, Oldham County), or only fractionally ranked lower than SK (Spencer County). North Oldham's, Collins', and Woodford's schedules were absolutely brutal. No, I'm not a huge fan of the RPI, but it does provide a somewhat objective way of measuring the SOS.

Not really sure what we're saying with the list of games played in region, unless there's an opinion that some coaches vote in favor of teams that play a lot of 8th region contests....having watched this process for an awfully long time, I'm not sure I've seen this be the case.

Teams being ranked lower has no bearing on this list as this is a list of individual honors, not team honors. Granted, the lower-ranked teams generally produce fewer all-region players - or the team would probably have done better - but great players do wind up on lesser teams.

My son - who helps me with Pegasus - has seen almost all the teams and the players listed above. He and I spent some time about two weeks ago projecting who we thought would make it. Our prediction wound up being pretty darn close; we missed one player. Our list had Jeremy Davis of SK. (I'm not going to mention which player we left off to make room for Davis as that would be inappropriate here IMO....all of the players who made the team are solid picks and none of them deserve to see any of us say otherwise on this thread, IMO....)

Edited by ColonelMike