Rodriguez To Alabama

gametime

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

University of Alabama officials and West Virginia’s Rich Rodriguez have reached an agreement in principle for Rodriguez to become the Crimson Tide’s next head football coach, two sources close to the search told The Birmingham News tonight.

After Rodriguez’s representatives negotiated with Alabama Athletics Director Mal Moore for most of today, Rodriguez has told Alabama officials he is ready to take the job offer he received this morning.

Sources close to the search said Rodriguez will make over $2 million per year with incentives and will have one of the highest-paid coaching staffs in the Southeastern Conference.

After two weeks of searching for a replacement for coach Mike Shula, who was fired Nov. 26, the only aspect of the process left is for Rodriguez to tell his team he is leaving his home state and alma mater.

Alabama officials are confident Rodriguez will sign his deal Friday morning, sources said, because the two sides have agreed on all economic and non economic issues.

Rodriguez followed his scheduled plans for today, even attending a news conference to publicize the Gator Bowl, which features the Mountaineers (10-2) vs. Georgia Tech (9-4) on Jan. 1 in Jacksonville. A source has told The News that Gator Bowl officials have been warned not to expect Rodriguez to coach in the game.

During today’s Gator Bowl news conference, he limited questions to the bowl game and to West Virginia, but would not guarantee he would coach the Mountaineers in the bowl game.

STRIKE...I showed her your post and she said "tell him my team is in the Orange Bowl Baby". Its not final just yet, he wants until Saturday to give his answer. He wants to talk to some WVA folks and tour the Campus before he gives his answer. He is the first coach to get an offer from Bama.

STRIKE...I showed her your post and she said "tell him my team is in the Orange Bowl Baby". Its not final just yet, he wants until Saturday to give his answer. He wants to talk to some WVA folks and tour the Campus before he gives his answer. He is the first coach to get an offer from Bama.
....:lol:

:thumb: Roll Tide and if they sign him, I believe they will get an excellent coach.

Good question and he will have several teams, seeking his services if he decides to declare.

I wasn't necessarily talking about the NFL...Slayton could transfer, IMO. Maybe to 'Bama, or perhaps somewhere in conferece...I could be wrong, but if an athlete transfers in his conference, he doesn't have to sit out a year.

I wasn't necessarily talking about the NFL...Slayton could transfer, IMO. Maybe to 'Bama, or perhaps somewhere in conferece...I could be wrong, but if an athlete transfers in his conference, he doesn't have to sit out a year.
NO, he would have to sit out a year, unless he drops down in level of play.

I really don't think this guy knows what he's getting himself into...
The pressure of SEC coaching, beating Auburn and trying to follow the Bear legacy, or a little of all above and more.

Has to be tremendous pressure, similar to what John Cooper went through at OSU.