Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New Lawrence County Coach on Staff

Featured Replies

Blake Preece, former LC football player and alumni has been brought on board the Lawrence County coaching staff and has been given the reigns to the offensive side of the ball from what I have been told. Preece who was a stand out football player for LC during the 90's helped coach Lexington Catholic to a state championship. Expect some new looks from LC next fall and I personally cant wait to see what he has in the bag for next year. Welcome Back home and good luck!!:D :thumb:

  • Replies 45
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blake Preece, former LC football player and alumni has been brought on board the Lawrence County coaching staff and has been given the reigns to the offensive side of the ball from what I have been told. Preece who was a stand out football player for LC during the 90's helped coach Lexington Catholic to a state championship. Expect some new looks from LC next fall and I personally cant wait to see what he has in the bag for next year. Welcome Back home and good luck!!:D :thumb:

 

Congrats to Blake Preece!

  • Author

I think he will do a great job.

Congrats to LC and to Blake.

 

I always like to see the hometown boys return to help on the sidelines. They are part of what it takes to build and keep a tradition of success like that at LC.

Congratulations to Coach Preece!!!! I know he is doing something he has a passion for. LC will be a better program because of hs work ethic and character. Good luck to LC and their new coach.:thumb:

What did he coach at Lex. Cath? Best of luck to him

I've never been one to hide who I am on here and I feel like I probably need to give some info/background before to much gets thrown out of context on here. Do to conflict of intrest (call me Tressell) I'd say that my days of posting about LC football are probably numbered but I'll still be around here.

 

I played for Lawrence Co from 89-92. I am very proud of the guys I played beside, the guys before me and the guys after me. I was All Area Honorable Mention and Courier Journal All State Honorable Mention as a DB.

Chuke Williams opened that door for me and allowed me to work in the summers with WR's and come in on Fridays at LC while I was in college. It was pretty easy because the 2 guys I had were both D-1 guys (Gerad Parker at UK and Spencer Harris at Virginia Tech in baseball). We went to the Final 4 my JR year and again when I came back to help in 97.

I graduated from Morehead and took the Head Middle School job at North Oldham straight out of college. That was a great learning experience as I had the freedom to experiment on offense with a great group of kids. We made it to 3 championship games in 4 years in a confrence with LCA, Oldham Co, South Oldham and the 2 Shelby Co schools. I had most of North's team that is at the high school now and other guys like Bardstowns QB+WR twins the Smith twins, the Saxtons that were at Trinity and Smart the RB at Pulaski SW to name a few.

When the new High School opened up at North I moved up the second year and helped out there. That too was a great experience as I saw what it was like to be with a new program that was struggling. There was a lot of inside problems but the dedication the kids have had at that school is something that people just don't realize. Multiple Principal's, multiple coaches etc. The kids still were coming in at 6:30 A.M. weightlifting and doing everything they could to be successful. I had the WR's there and was the Freshman/JV Offensive Coordinaor/Co Head Coach.

I have always been a student of the game and travled near and far to try to learn as much as I can about the game. One thing that was clear to me at a young age was Bob Sphire knew something about throwing the rock around and scoring points. I went to a clinic at Notre Dame just so I could here him speak. I was able to meet him thanks to Coach Gary McPeek (who was at Lawrence Co and had coached with Bob). At the time I was hoping to come to LC to Coach with McPeek as he had always been good to me. That ended up falling through due to teaching openings. I kept in touch with Coach Sphire and when we had our little girl we wanted to get closer to family (my wifes family is from Lex and it was an hour closer to mine). I met with Coach Sphire and from that day on he treated me like a part of his family.

I played my last game ever in the Regional Championship at Prestonsburg and was beaten by Coach Bill Letton who ironically was on the Lex Cath staff too. I really can't stress enough what a great staff was at Lex Cath and the value I got from being around great coaches like Letton and Sphire. I never really asked for a title but Coach Sphire and I were close. Coach Allen, Hobbs,Engler, Madding, Sphire and I usually broke film down together and game planned. That was where I learned the most in that whole experience. I spent most of the practice time picking Bob's (and Justin Burke because he might as well been a top coach in the state) brain. Game nights I helped keep up with what was working from our scripts and things that looked like they would work. Bob was comfortable enough with himself that he would at times take what I saw and run with it. The main thing out of this whole Lex Cath thing is that by no means did I lead us to a championship (that's getting thrown around a little loose). Coach Sphire led us to a championship and he had an awsome staff + group of kids. He has meant a lot to my life and still helps me anytime I call!

My best friend (Morgan Cyrus) and I worked with our youth league a couple of years ago to get a Lawerence Co Legend's camp started. We have had around 15+ previous LC players that have gone on to play college ball or coach to come back and help with the camp. It was great to see what has come out of LC the past 15 years. We are talking about a guy coaching for the NY JETS, players from UK, Tenn etc.The camp almost doubled this past year and all the money goes back to the youth league. I throw that out there because I want to get across my passion for our entire program and the whole community of Louisa! I'm definatly not the only one as many dropped what they were doing in the summer to come back and work the camp for free!

I took a new job and was called by Coach Goldsmith to take the offensive job at LC. We haven't gotten to sit down and talk to much yet about what all will be going on at LC next year so I don't know who is coaching what yet as far as responsibilities etc. I do know that I care about every single guy on the staff from last year!

Ed Dixon has had multiple opportunities to go other places and have bigger titles. He has been invaluable to the program as he has spent countless hours working with the kids there.

Joey Cecil is as good of a man as you will find! He has turned down head coaching opportunities to stay there! I've been waiting since the McPeek days to hopefully coach with him one day!

Travis Hughs grew up 2 houses from me and I graduated with Caudill's brother. I also can't wait to get in with Luke who came over from Marshall!

The big thrill is having the opportunity to coach with my coach and that is Coach Goldsmith! He was the Head Coach (while Gary Morris Russell's d-coordinator was my o-coordinator in high school). I have the upmost respect for Coach Goldsmith and couldn't imagine playing for anybody else! The things I learned playing for him along with my family are what have given me the roadmap to success in my life and I hope to repay him in a big way!

I belive in the coaches, I believe in the kids and I believe in our fans! I know times have been tough and it is an uphill battle. LC has had a lot of adversity! Injuries, youth etc but that is what builds character if you fight through it! One of my goals in life was to come back one day to the school I love and coach while my parents are still around so they can see that they have instilled that hard work will help you reach your dreams!

To me there is one thing constant between winners and losers. I've been around them both and learned from those experiences. It all comes down to your ATTITUDE!!!! If you are a Lawrence County player that gets on here and reads this then I hope you have your sleeves rolled up and KNOW that you are going to start taking care of business!

 

I debated if I should post anyting but I didn't want rumors swirling and I felt like I was getting to much credit for what Lex Cath did. I was a small part of a BIG puzzle!

Since this board has been around I've been around. I was a football moderator back when it first started up. The main reason I joined back then was to get pub for kids in Eastern KY. I think this board has done a great job of that! I'm proud to be a Bulldog, I'm proud of the programs in Eastern KY and I'm proud of where football has come in our state!

I probably won't be posting much anymore about LC but I wanted to set the record straight before to many rumors got going around. It is an exciting time and I can't wait to get back on the field with the program I love! To those of you that posted the kind words I am very appreciative and for those of you that might put anything negative... it comes with the territory:) I want nothing but the best for the kids in Lawrence Co!

  • Author
I've never been one to hide who I am on here and I feel like I probably need to give some info/background before to much gets thrown out of context on here. Do to conflict of intrest (call me Tressell) I'd say that my days of posting about LC football are probably numbered but I'll still be around here.

 

I played for Lawrence Co from 89-92. I am very proud of the guys I played beside, the guys before me and the guys after me. I was All Area Honorable Mention and Courier Journal All State Honorable Mention as a DB.

Chuke Williams opened that door for me and allowed me to work in the summers with WR's and come in on Fridays at LC while I was in college. It was pretty easy because the 2 guys I had were both D-1 guys (Gerad Parker at UK and Spencer Harris at Virginia Tech in baseball). We went to the Final 4 my JR year and again when I came back to help in 97.

I graduated from Morehead and took the Head Middle School job at North Oldham straight out of college. That was a great learning experience as I had the freedom to experiment on offense with a great group of kids. We made it to 3 championship games in 4 years in a confrence with LCA, Oldham Co, South Oldham and the 2 Shelby Co schools. I had most of North's team that is at the high school now and other guys like Bardstowns QB+WR twins the Smith twins, the Saxtons that were at Trinity and Smart the RB at Pulaski SW to name a few.

When the new High School opened up at North I moved up the second year and helped out there. That too was a great experience as I saw what it was like to be with a new program that was struggling. There was a lot of inside problems but the dedication the kids have had at that school is something that people just don't realize. Multiple Principal's, multiple coaches etc. The kids still were coming in at 6:30 A.M. weightlifting and doing everything they could to be successful. I had the WR's there and was the Freshman/JV Offensive Coordinaor/Co Head Coach.

I have always been a student of the game and travled near and far to try to learn as much as I can about the game. One thing that was clear to me at a young age was Bob Sphire knew something about throwing the rock around and scoring points. I went to a clinic at Notre Dame just so I could here him speak. I was able to meet him thanks to Coach Gary McPeek (who was at Lawrence Co and had coached with Bob). At the time I was hoping to come to LC to Coach with McPeek as he had always been good to me. That ended up falling through due to teaching openings. I kept in touch with Coach Sphire and when we had our little girl we wanted to get closer to family (my wifes family is from Lex and it was an hour closer to mine). I met with Coach Sphire and from that day on he treated me like a part of his family.

I played my last game ever in the Regional Championship at Prestonsburg and was beaten by Coach Bill Letton who ironically was on the Lex Cath staff too. I really can't stress enough what a great staff was at Lex Cath and the value I got from being around great coaches like Letton and Sphire. I never really asked for a title but Coach Sphire and I were close. Coach Allen, Hobbs,Engler, Madding, Sphire and I usually broke film down together and game planned. That was where I learned the most in that whole experience. I spent most of the practice time picking Bob's (and Justin Burke because he might as well been a top coach in the state) brain. Game nights I helped keep up with what was working from our scripts and things that looked like they would work. Bob was comfortable enough with himself that he would at times take what I saw and run with it. The main thing out of this whole Lex Cath thing is that by no means did I lead us to a championship (that's getting thrown around a little loose). Coach Sphire led us to a championship and he had an awsome staff + group of kids. He has meant a lot to my life and still helps me anytime I call!

My best friend (Morgan Cyrus) and I worked with our youth league a couple of years ago to get a Lawerence Co Legend's camp started. We have had around 15+ previous LC players that have gone on to play college ball or coach to come back and help with the camp. It was great to see what has come out of LC the past 15 years. We are talking about a guy coaching for the NY JETS, players from UK, Tenn etc.The camp almost doubled this past year and all the money goes back to the youth league. I throw that out there because I want to get across my passion for our entire program and the whole community of Louisa! I'm definatly not the only one as many dropped what they were doing in the summer to come back and work the camp for free!

I took a new job and was called by Coach Goldsmith to take the offensive job at LC. We haven't gotten to sit down and talk to much yet about what all will be going on at LC next year so I don't know who is coaching what yet as far as responsibilities etc. I do know that I care about every single guy on the staff from last year!

Ed Dixon has had multiple opportunities to go other places and have bigger titles. He has been invaluable to the program as he has spent countless hours working with the kids there.

Joey Cecil is as good of a man as you will find! He has turned down head coaching opportunities to stay there! I've been waiting since the McPeek days to hopefully coach with him one day!

Travis Hughs grew up 2 houses from me and I graduated with Caudill's brother. I also can't wait to get in with Luke who came over from Marshall!

The big thrill is having the opportunity to coach with my coach and that is Coach Goldsmith! He was the Head Coach (while Gary Morris Russell's d-coordinator was my o-coordinator in high school). I have the upmost respect for Coach Goldsmith and couldn't imagine playing for anybody else! The things I learned playing for him along with my family are what have given me the roadmap to success in my life and I hope to repay him in a big way!

I belive in the coaches, I believe in the kids and I believe in our fans! I know times have been tough and it is an uphill battle. LC has had a lot of adversity! Injuries, youth etc but that is what builds character if you fight through it! One of my goals in life was to come back one day to the school I love and coach while my parents are still around so they can see that they have instilled that hard work will help you reach your dreams!

To me there is one thing constant between winners and losers. I've been around them both and learned from those experiences. It all comes down to your ATTITUDE!!!! If you are a Lawrence County player that gets on here and reads this then I hope you have your sleeves rolled up and KNOW that you are going to start taking care of business!

 

I debated if I should post anyting but I didn't want rumors swirling and I felt like I was getting to much credit for what Lex Cath did. I was a small part of a BIG puzzle!

Since this board has been around I've been around. I was a football moderator back when it first started up. The main reason I joined back then was to get pub for kids in Eastern KY. I think this board has done a great job of that! I'm proud to be a Bulldog, I'm proud of the programs in Eastern KY and I'm proud of where football has come in our state!

I probably won't be posting much anymore about LC but I wanted to set the record straight before to many rumors got going around. It is an exciting time and I can't wait to get back on the field with the program I love! To those of you that posted the kind words I am very appreciative and for those of you that might put anything negative... it comes with the territory:) I want nothing but the best for the kids in Lawrence Co!

 

 

:thumb:

I hope this is the first step to L.C. getting back to at least where they were a few years ago.

 

If they are going to throw the ball more a great 7on7 tourney is the one that Kenton Highh school competes in. I believe coach Mauk(Kenton) could give more details on it if he were called and asked.

I've never been one to hide who I am on here and I feel like I probably need to give some info/background before to much gets thrown out of context on here. Do to conflict of intrest (call me Tressell) I'd say that my days of posting about LC football are probably numbered but I'll still be around here.

 

I played for Lawrence Co from 89-92. I am very proud of the guys I played beside, the guys before me and the guys after me. I was All Area Honorable Mention and Courier Journal All State Honorable Mention as a DB.

Chuke Williams opened that door for me and allowed me to work in the summers with WR's and come in on Fridays at LC while I was in college. It was pretty easy because the 2 guys I had were both D-1 guys (Gerad Parker at UK and Spencer Harris at Virginia Tech in baseball). We went to the Final 4 my JR year and again when I came back to help in 97.

I graduated from Morehead and took the Head Middle School job at North Oldham straight out of college. That was a great learning experience as I had the freedom to experiment on offense with a great group of kids. We made it to 3 championship games in 4 years in a confrence with LCA, Oldham Co, South Oldham and the 2 Shelby Co schools. I had most of North's team that is at the high school now and other guys like Bardstowns QB+WR twins the Smith twins, the Saxtons that were at Trinity and Smart the RB at Pulaski SW to name a few.

When the new High School opened up at North I moved up the second year and helped out there. That too was a great experience as I saw what it was like to be with a new program that was struggling. There was a lot of inside problems but the dedication the kids have had at that school is something that people just don't realize. Multiple Principal's, multiple coaches etc. The kids still were coming in at 6:30 A.M. weightlifting and doing everything they could to be successful. I had the WR's there and was the Freshman/JV Offensive Coordinaor/Co Head Coach.

I have always been a student of the game and travled near and far to try to learn as much as I can about the game. One thing that was clear to me at a young age was Bob Sphire knew something about throwing the rock around and scoring points. I went to a clinic at Notre Dame just so I could here him speak. I was able to meet him thanks to Coach Gary McPeek (who was at Lawrence Co and had coached with Bob). At the time I was hoping to come to LC to Coach with McPeek as he had always been good to me. That ended up falling through due to teaching openings. I kept in touch with Coach Sphire and when we had our little girl we wanted to get closer to family (my wifes family is from Lex and it was an hour closer to mine). I met with Coach Sphire and from that day on he treated me like a part of his family.

I played my last game ever in the Regional Championship at Prestonsburg and was beaten by Coach Bill Letton who ironically was on the Lex Cath staff too. I really can't stress enough what a great staff was at Lex Cath and the value I got from being around great coaches like Letton and Sphire. I never really asked for a title but Coach Sphire and I were close. Coach Allen, Hobbs,Engler, Madding, Sphire and I usually broke film down together and game planned. That was where I learned the most in that whole experience. I spent most of the practice time picking Bob's (and Justin Burke because he might as well been a top coach in the state) brain. Game nights I helped keep up with what was working from our scripts and things that looked like they would work. Bob was comfortable enough with himself that he would at times take what I saw and run with it. The main thing out of this whole Lex Cath thing is that by no means did I lead us to a championship (that's getting thrown around a little loose). Coach Sphire led us to a championship and he had an awsome staff + group of kids. He has meant a lot to my life and still helps me anytime I call!

My best friend (Morgan Cyrus) and I worked with our youth league a couple of years ago to get a Lawerence Co Legend's camp started. We have had around 15+ previous LC players that have gone on to play college ball or coach to come back and help with the camp. It was great to see what has come out of LC the past 15 years. We are talking about a guy coaching for the NY JETS, players from UK, Tenn etc.The camp almost doubled this past year and all the money goes back to the youth league. I throw that out there because I want to get across my passion for our entire program and the whole community of Louisa! I'm definatly not the only one as many dropped what they were doing in the summer to come back and work the camp for free!

I took a new job and was called by Coach Goldsmith to take the offensive job at LC. We haven't gotten to sit down and talk to much yet about what all will be going on at LC next year so I don't know who is coaching what yet as far as responsibilities etc. I do know that I care about every single guy on the staff from last year!

Ed Dixon has had multiple opportunities to go other places and have bigger titles. He has been invaluable to the program as he has spent countless hours working with the kids there.

Joey Cecil is as good of a man as you will find! He has turned down head coaching opportunities to stay there! I've been waiting since the McPeek days to hopefully coach with him one day!

Travis Hughs grew up 2 houses from me and I graduated with Caudill's brother. I also can't wait to get in with Luke who came over from Marshall!

The big thrill is having the opportunity to coach with my coach and that is Coach Goldsmith! He was the Head Coach (while Gary Morris Russell's d-coordinator was my o-coordinator in high school). I have the upmost respect for Coach Goldsmith and couldn't imagine playing for anybody else! The things I learned playing for him along with my family are what have given me the roadmap to success in my life and I hope to repay him in a big way!

I belive in the coaches, I believe in the kids and I believe in our fans! I know times have been tough and it is an uphill battle. LC has had a lot of adversity! Injuries, youth etc but that is what builds character if you fight through it! One of my goals in life was to come back one day to the school I love and coach while my parents are still around so they can see that they have instilled that hard work will help you reach your dreams!

To me there is one thing constant between winners and losers. I've been around them both and learned from those experiences. It all comes down to your ATTITUDE!!!! If you are a Lawrence County player that gets on here and reads this then I hope you have your sleeves rolled up and KNOW that you are going to start taking care of business!

 

I debated if I should post anyting but I didn't want rumors swirling and I felt like I was getting to much credit for what Lex Cath did. I was a small part of a BIG puzzle!

Since this board has been around I've been around. I was a football moderator back when it first started up. The main reason I joined back then was to get pub for kids in Eastern KY. I think this board has done a great job of that! I'm proud to be a Bulldog, I'm proud of the programs in Eastern KY and I'm proud of where football has come in our state!

I probably won't be posting much anymore about LC but I wanted to set the record straight before to many rumors got going around. It is an exciting time and I can't wait to get back on the field with the program I love! To those of you that posted the kind words I am very appreciative and for those of you that might put anything negative... it comes with the territory:) I want nothing but the best for the kids in Lawrence Co!

 

 

That is great news.. I have been hearing for a few weeks now and I am glad it is final. You will do a fine job if they let you. Congrats.

Congrats Stick....question......Will you be teaching at the high school?

Congrats Stick....question......Will you be teaching at the high school?

Not as of now.

What did Blake do at LC?

Helped game planning and play calling. At times had Burke and Hancock at QB but let's be honest Burke was on cruise control and pretty much coached the QB's when Bob wasn't around.

The biggest thing was picked Bob's brain as much as possible to learn from somebody who has a great offensive mind!

Blake, glad to see a former Dawg make it back home. I played with Stick back in the early 90's and there is no one with more fire and passion to be a Dawg then him. Glad to see LC starting to bring back former players that are coaching to help guide the program that many helped turn around.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.