Current Playoff Structure

I know this topic has been beaten like a dead horse, but I do like the RPI introduction. In saying that, it definitely needs some tweaking to say the least.

I think the perfect playoff structure would be to keep playing your opposite district for the first 2 rounds (1-2,3-4,5-6,7-8) and then do like KHSAA has done and implement the RPI factor to seed rounds 3 & 4.

Teams that have tough districts are penalized by this current format & in some cases you have a top 10 team in the class going home in round 1.

Thoughts from everyone on this?

I don't like District play coming late in the season and then turning right around and playing Rounds 1 & 2 against those same teams right away. I concur cross District in Rounds 1 & 2 makes most sense with minimal travel for most (I think?). I have found the RPI to be somewhat exciting. All the possibilities are intriguing.

The reality is, basically no one outside the decision-makers at the KHSAA like intradistrict playoffs in the first two rounds. I get the travel factor, but as has been pointed out numerous times, the travel factor is by and large only there because of their steadfast refusal to reduce the amount of classes. That is what is spreading everyone so thin. Yes, you'll still have some odd cases here and there, but it would be much, much less. And the hilarious thing is that the RPI has the potential to create far more travel disparity in a game than any other system did on its worst day. In 4A, could you imagine if it works out for a team like Hopkinsville or Madisonville-North Hopkins to travel to Johnson Central or vice versa in the state semifinals? What if Calloway County was actually good enough to create that scenario? That's a six hour drive! Craziness.

I was looking at a Belfry vs PT state semi-final DragonFire.. Talk about travel..

I understand the point of the RPI, but there should never be a scenario for that type of game to be played. A 6.5 hour drive from literally one end of the state to the other should not happen. THE DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING no less. And they have the audacity to make claims about minimizing travel. Paducah could be in Atlanta faster than they could get to Belfry.

I understand the point of the RPI, but there should never be a scenario for that type of game to be played. A 6.5 hour drive from literally one end of the state to the other should not happen. THE DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING no less. And they have the audacity to make claims about minimizing travel. Paducah could be in Atlanta faster than they could get to Belfry.

Unless they begin to have neutral site state semi final games. That brings an entirely different argument up.

I personally think the reason the RPI system was put in place, was so teams in the golden triangle wouldn't have to travel out in the state during the playoffs. One team in particular lost their collective mind because they may have to play on a muddy field last year. This system ensures the top ranked teams never have to travel, kinda sad that best teams get another advantage.

If the overwhelming majority are opposed to the intra district play for the first two rounds....WHY does the KHSAA have it in place?

If someone can figure that out, share it with the rest of us.

It would be interesting to see a list of school administrators who actually support this set up for the purpose of travel. With all that they have on their plate, not sure that playoff travel is a high priority.

If the overwhelming majority are opposed to the intra district play for the first two rounds....WHY does the KHSAA have it in place?

If someone can figure that out, share it with the rest of us.

It would be interesting to see a list of school administrators who actually support this set up for the purpose of travel. With all that they have on their plate, not sure that playoff travel is a high priority.

They do not care.

I have an even better suggestion, and while funny, also serious and true.

If the overwhelming majority are against this format, then why don’t all of the schools across the state just throw a big you know what up in the air to the KHSAA and go play who they would be paired up sister district wise?

What’s the saying? Drastic times calls for drastic measures?

I mean think about it- what would/could the KHSAA do if all of the schools just completely revolted next Friday night?

Personally, I see the gripes against the new set up, but I also understand why some out there would be for it.

I look at two things on intra district play.

1. Guaranteed reduced travel for first and second round games.

2. Football now is set up like the other major sports. None of the other sports have inter district play in their post season. They all are intra district in the first two playoff games. They all use regular season games to seed the district and then the first two post season games are between teams from your own district.

As to the playoff structure as a whole, the only format change I would make is I would keep east versus west for the championship game. I would not seed the final four and possibly create terrible travel situations.