Frederick Douglass or Covington Catholic?

theguru

Fred has rolled everyone. 6 shutouts in 7 games. Beat Tates Creek 62-14, and Tates Creek should have beat Lexington Catholic. Fred has major talent, more than Cov Cath. For Cov Cath I think last night was an aberration and they still are not what they were last year or the year before. I could be wrong, but I am staying with that. Frederick Douglas will win 5a.

Yes that game was nothing more than an "aberration" lol.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If CCH can duplicate what they did last night then give me CCH. But one game at a time. We can't overlook Highlands, all they want right now is to beat us so CCH needs to stay focused.

After hearing the Cov Cath LS game and seeing Highlands play Conner it is very flattering to hear “don’t forget Highlands”. Highlands will be very lucky to not be embarrassed. I hope they can hang for a couple quarters.

I have seen Douglass play every game this season. I would like nothing better than to see them win 5A. I do think they are a good bit better than Scott Co. this year. They were very evenly matched last year. Through 7 games for both teams. The combined records of Douglass wins are 13-32 and Cov. Cath. was 19-29 before last nights win. I think last nights win over LaSalle makes them 8-0 compared to Douglass's 7-0 is the most important win (best) by either team. It will be interesting to compare scores when Douglass plays at Lexington Catholic in 3 weeks but hopefully they get the opportunity to play each other to settle the debate.

All that said I would have Cov. Cath #1 and Douglass #2 as of now.

FD rolled Scott County. Cov Caths schedule is average as well. Ryle has lost 4 and got rolled by Scott County. Campbell, Dixie Heights and Boone are just bad. Beechwood is way down has lost to Paintsville etc. cooper barely beat Dixie and is average at best. CovCath struggled to beat LexCath who seems to give up 40 to everyone. Cov Cath had a nice win vs Lasalle. I would give the edge to FD right now and the fact that South Warren beat CC last year.

FD rolled Scott County. Cov Caths schedule is average as well. Ryle has lost 4 and got rolled by Scott County. Campbell, Dixie Heights and Boone are just bad. Beechwood is way down has lost to Paintsville etc. cooper barely beat Dixie and is average at best. CovCath struggled to beat LexCath who seems to give up 40 to everyone. Cov Cath had a nice win vs Lasalle. I would give the edge to FD right now and the fact that South Warren beat CC last year.

Good spin. CCH has wins over 3 ranked teams plus La Salle. Douglas has nothing beyond Scott County.

Good spin. CCH has wins over 3 ranked teams plus La Salle. Douglas has nothing beyond Scott County.

But that's not necessarily Douglas's fault. That school hasn't been around long enough to knock them for their schedule, especially since they're forced to play the other Lexington public schools.

I do believe that CCH is the better team. But I also believe that it's a close enough of a gap that Douglas could beat the Colonels on any given night.

I have no dog in fight. Both are super good and I expect to see them meet for the championship. I was addressing points made that FD has a bland resume. I only show Cc with wins over 2 currently KY ranked teams (1) Beechwood at #8 in 2A. They are down this year for that great program. and (2) LexCath at #4 in 4A. LC has them beat and CC won by a point. The rest of the wins are against average to bad teams. As I said the Lasalle win was huge for CC, but FD has a huge win in Scott. I coupled that with South Warren beating Cc in the championship last year and think FD is the better team.

I have no dog in fight. Both are super good and I expect to see them meet for the championship. I was addressing points made that FD has a bland resume. I only show Cc with wins over 2 currently KY ranked teams (1) Beechwood at #8 in 2A. They are down this year for that great program. and (2) LexCath at #4 in 4A. LC has them beat and CC won by a point. The rest of the wins are against average to bad teams. As I said the Lasalle win was huge for CC, but FD has a huge win in Scott. I coupled that with South Warren beating Cc in the championship last year and think FD is the better team.

Curious to know how last year’s team factors into your evaluation of this year’s team. That was then, this is now.

I haven't taken the time to familiarize myself with the playoff district pairing situation for the new alignment as of yet. It's a bit of an aside, but does anyone know if Douglass (District 6) and Cov Cath (District 5) would end up on opposite sides of the 5A playoff bracket?

I haven't taken the time to familiarize myself with the playoff district pairing situation for the new alignment as of yet. It's a bit of an aside, but does anyone know if Douglass (District 6) and Cov Cath (District 5) would end up on opposite sides of the 5A playoff bracket?

They will meet in finals if seeding holds true. Once we are to the semis it will be reseeded. That means Cc (RPI #1) and FD #2 would get the other two teams then meet in finals.

So my take...

Cov Cath

The Lexington Catholic game was a wake-up call. Like I said in the predictions/updates thread, the only times a lot of the guys on this year's Cov Cath team have ever had the feeling of being against the ropes was last year against Highlands during the regular season and then in the state finals. I'm glad the Lex Cath game put them in a situation where they really had to play hard, and find a way do dig deep and fight for a win. That game also identified some key areas that required improvement for the team, and given the outcome of the game last night, it sure looks like most of those have been addressed. They have also proved last night that despite going up against a team with more recognized college talent, they can still do what it takes to win.

Douglass

I'm not sure of the complete list of the big players for Douglass and which are being recruited for D1 college, but I know they have several - including Crowdus, Parks, Neal, Burton, and Key. That's a big plus in their column. Douglass' schedule has also left something to be desired as far as challenging games go. Their biggest was against Scott County, which they obviously won in pretty big fashion. That's another big plus. I'm also sure that the Cov Cath's win last night has also set off some warning sirens for the team to be better prepared than they may have even initially expected...which probably comes as a good thing for the Broncos at the end of the day. I'm sure the Douglass win over Scott County did the same for the Colonels.

I think Cov Cath has moved forward several steps since their mis-step against Lex Cath. You can still count it against them if you want, but I see it as a plus at this point. I would like to see another decent challenge for Douglass this season before I can really cast judgment. Lex Cath looks to be the one remaining opportunity for that in Broncos' regular season.

As it stands, I would personally give the nod, only slightly, to Cov Cath. But at the end of the day, this one will definitely come down to which team comes in better prepared and more motivated for the win, and which team plays without the most miscues, penalties, and turnovers.