BluegrassPreps Class 5A Football Rankings (9/16) - Discussion

Ram

Class 5A

It was a perfect 10-0 for the Top 10 teams in Class 5A and the rankings saw very little movement as a result. Highlands had perhaps the best win of the week by taking down 6A Simon Kenton, they look to knock off yet another Northern Kentucky team from the highest class this week in Ryle. It is a Warren County versus Jefferson County flavor as well when Bowling Green and South Warren take on ranked powerhouse programs from Louisville.

1. Frederick Douglass vs. 6A Henry Clay

2. Covington Catholic at 2A #4 Beechwood

3. Scott County vs. Emmerich Manual (IN)

4. Highlands vs. 6A Ryle

5. South Warren at 4A #8 Central

6. Bowling Green vs. 6A #3 St. Xavier

7. South Oldham vs. 6A Oldham County

8. Pulaski County vs. Madison Southern

9. Owensboro at 6A Daviess County

10. Greenwood at 4A Logan County

I think South Warren is being undervalued. I know they lost a lot from last year but they've been impressive thus far (of course others have as well). They'll be a very hard out in Class 5A.

GCHS,

I'm not saying your wrong, but what games make you think this?

GCHS,

I'm not saying your wrong, but what games make you think this?

The Butler win and Franklin-Simpson wins will ultimately be good. To me their wins are as good or better as any Frederick Douglass or Scott County has (with possible exception Scott’s win over Manual). But I’m probably basing my opinion on them having an outstanding coach more than anything else.

The Butler win and Franklin-Simpson wins will ultimately be good. To me their wins are as good or better as any Frederick Douglass or Scott County has (with possible exception Scott’s win over Manual). But I’m probably basing my opinion on them having an outstanding coach more than anything else.
Fair Enough!

Why shouldn't they be #1? And how do you think the top 5 should look?

Because they haven't played anyone remotely good. Granted, the games they played were blowouts but all they've shown is that they're good at playing teams that are bad. Imo the top 5 should probably be:

1. CovCath

2. Scott County

3. South Warren

4. Fredrick Douglass

5. Highlands

Because they haven't played anyone remotely good. Granted, the games they played were blowouts but all they've shown is that they're good at playing teams that are bad. Imo the top 5 should probably be:

1. CovCath

2. Scott County

3. South Warren

4. Fredrick Douglass

5. Highlands

To be fair, and this is coming from a CCH alumn and fan, this is what people were saying against us in 2017 and 2018 and our argument was that we were blowing everybody out. As good as Beau Allen is, nobody expected Lex Cath to be in that game (and they probably should have won it). IMHO, that game hurts us in the rankings and is the reason we are not #1. Win that game handily and we have an excuse to ask why we aren't #1.

To be fair, and this is coming from a CCH alumn and fan, this is what people were saying against us in 2017 and 2018 and our argument was that we were blowing everybody out. As good as Beau Allen is, nobody expected Lex Cath to be in that game (and they probably should have won it). IMHO, that game hurts us in the rankings and is the reason we are not #1. Win that game handily and we have an excuse to ask why we aren't #1.

In 2017 and especially 2018 CovCath blew out teams that were definitely better than Lafayette, PLD, Tates Creek and Bryan Station. I'm not saying FD isnt good, their margins are telling and I'm anticipating their first tough opponent, but until then I don't see how they've proven to be #1. Also, that LexCath game looked bad but not enough to take CCH down from #1 imo.