Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Proof that a change was needed????

Featured Replies

I was looking on the KHSAA at the State Final Rosters and saw that Danville had an enrollment of 556 students. Upon further research I found out that Raceland has an enrollment of 303, Paintsville has 253, and Paris has 200. Is this proof that a change was needed in the classification of schools? Other than 4A, what other classes would have to play schools double their size in the same class to win a state championship? For example if Paintsville were to play Danville in the State Championship you would have a school with an enrollment of 253 kids playing a school with 556 kids. That's more than double of Paintsville's enrollment.

 

In 4A, I know there are schools with 1100 students playing schools with

1800-2000 students.

 

I think this suggests that there was a "real" need to change/modify the classifications of 1A and 4A schools.

  • Replies 58
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you list the current cut-offs, for enrollment in each class. This would allow everyone, to see the numbers and have a better understanding.

  • Author

According to the KHSAA 2006 football alignment.

 

Class A: 0-531 students

Class AA: 532-752 students

Class AAA: 753-1040 students

Class AAAA: 1041-and up + students

I was looking on the KHSAA at the State Final Rosters and saw that Danville had an enrollment of 556 students. Upon further research I found out that Raceland has an enrollment of 303, Paintsville has 253, and Paris has 200. Is this proof that a change was needed in the classification of schools? Other than 4A, what other classes would have to play schools double their size in the same class to win a state championship? For example if Paintsville were to play Danville in the State Championship you would have a school with an enrollment of 253 kids playing a school with 556 kids. That's more than double of Paintsville's enrollment.

 

In 4A, I know there are schools with 1100 students playing schools with

1800-2000 students.

 

I think this suggests that there was a "real" need to change/modify the classifications of 1A and 4A schools.

 

Very good post!!:thumb:

Well, Danville played up a class for years in the 90s. The KHSAA just made it mandatory for all schools to play by specific classification guidelines since Danville has moved down to A. Maybe they should have just tweaked the numbers for classification in stead of making this thing so watered down that it means very little. In my opinion, you will still see the same traditional powers bringing home the hardware next year. There will just be 6 of them doing it, and not 4.

  • Author

Just so everyone knows this is not a thread to knock on or complain about Danville. I am just using them as an example in illustrating the enrollment differences in 1A.

 

I admire and respect the Danville program and wish them nothing but the best in the state championship.

Also wasn't the classification done by total inrollment in school before, now it's going on boy's inrollment now for the new classifcation?

Well, Danville played up a class for years in the 90s. The KHSAA just made it mandatory for all schools to play by specific classification guidelines since Danville has moved down to A. Maybe they should have just tweaked the numbers for classification in stead of making this thing so watered down that it means very little. In my opinion, you will still see the same traditional powers bringing home the hardware next year. There will just be 6 of them doing it, and not 4.

 

Guessing you're right! Up in NKY all you've done is assure Beechwood and NCC a separate path to their state titles; and had the CovCath and Highlands brass not petitioned to move up, they would have ended up in separate classes as well. I haven't seen the breakdowns in a while, but I would expect a lot of familiar names at Papa John's next year, just more of them!!

 

Speaking of Danville, I'm assuming they will be at least 2A in the new alignment??

Five classes would have solved the "problem" just as well ...

Five classes would have solved the "problem" just as well ...

 

You are so correct. However, why is it that a 1A school is classified in Football but in baseball and basketball they have to compete with every school in Kentucky. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a classification system in place for all sports.

Five classes would have solved the "problem" just as well ...

 

You are so correct. However, why is it that a 1A school is classified in Football but in baseball and basketball they have to compete with every school in Kentucky. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a classification system in place for all sports.

 

True, but that is why they have the All "A" classic, so these smaller schools actually do have a better chance at winning state...

 

True, but that is why they have the All "A" classic, so these smaller schools actually do have a better chance at winning state...

 

The all "A" is not reconigzed by the KHSAA, it is just like another tourney. LIT or bank one classic just on a bigger scale.

I agree with westsider(imagine that) that a 5 class system would have been the way to go...The way the current 4 class system is setup, it takes less account into #s but rather the smallest 54, nx smallest 54, etc,etc..

I see no problem with 1 class having say 30 to 40 teams with another class having maybe 50-60 if it takes more into account enrollment size vs classification balance...I also feel if a team opted to play up, they could only move up 1 class and use a sliding scale on the privates like they do in Tn to determine what class they would play in...

Five classes would have solved the "problem" just as well ...

 

There are 222 schools participating right now in varsity football. I say divide it by five and you have 44.4 teams per class. If you want to have a super-class and mini-class, which I do, put 44 teams in Class 2A-5A and then divide the remainder into 1A and 6A. That leaves 46 teams, which would put 23 in the big class and 23 in the little.

 

1A, 6A- 23 teams each

2A, 3A, 4A, 5A- 44 teams each

 

Since there would be less playoff teams in the super-class and mini-class, play the championship game of 1A and 6A on a Saturday night and then play the four remaining championships the next weeked.

 

Seemed like it would work, but oh well. A five class system would work, too.

I'm not convinced of the need for 6 classes. Nor do I believe all classes should contain the same # of schools.

 

I'd set it up this way...

 

1A - 16 schools with fewest male students.

5A - 16 schools with most ....

 

2A, 3A, and 4A - schools remaining divided evenly.

 

Any fewer than 16 schools spoils the meaning behind winning State, yet more in 1A and 5A would underaddress the problem, IMO...

 

Heck, I don't have tooo much of a problem with 6 classes...but I think it would have been much better had they narrowed 1A and 6A like I did.

 

(LOL @ GCHS...great minds think alike, bro !!)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.