RBI's: Morneau

Total Bases: Morneau

Walks: Jeter

Strike Outs: Morneau

Stolen Bases: Jeter

OBP: Jeter

Slugging: Morneau

Batting Average: Jeter

You lead in HR's and you pretty much cover RBI's, total bases and slugging. It's not the Silver Slugger award...

I forgot to mention that he won the Gold Glove award at the most scrutinized position in all of sports...

I agree with you my friend and I believe the voters, just watched the last two months and forgot the season started earlier.

Runs: Jeter 118, Morneau 97; advantage Jeter

Hits: Jeter 214, Morneau 190; advantage Jeter

Doubles: Jeter 39, Morneau 37; a wash

Triples: Jeter 3, Morneau 1; a wash

HR: Morneau 34, Jeter 14; huge advantage Morneau

RBI: Morneau 130, Jeter 97; huge advantage Morneau

TB: Morneau 331, Jeter 301; advantage Morneau

Walks: Jeter 69, Morneau 53; advantage Jeter

Strikeouts: Morneau 93, Jeter 102; a wash

Steals: Jeter 34, Morneau 3; huge advantage Jeter

OBP: Jeter .417, Morneau .375; advantage Jeter

SLG: Morneau .559, Jeter .483, advantage Morneau

AVG: Jeter .343, Morneau .321, advantage Jeter

The numbers reflect the obvious - Morneau was more of a power hitter who contributed by driving in runs; Jeter was more of a table-setter.

Jeter gets credit for winning a gold glove at a critical defensive position, and being the captain (for what that's worth; some folks see the "C" on pinstripes and can't help but genuflect) on the team with the overall best record.

Morneau gets credit for leading the Twins to the best record in baseball (71-33) since June 9, hitting .362 (best in ML) with 92 RBI (best in AL) during that span.

This really was a toss-up. Contrary to popular opinion, however, the MVP does not by default go to a Yankee. My guess is that the deciding factors were the fact that Jeter had more help and that Morneau virtually carried the Twins over the last 100 games of the season. That overcame the big-city/big name recognition that automatically goes to any Yankee ithat is being considered.

Both were deserving of consideration, the vote was extremely close, and there wasn't enough difference between the two for anyone but the most biased observer to be upset over. Jeter was extremely gracious in acknowledging Morneau's accomplishment, which is much more than I can say for my friends who are die-hard Yankee fans (yes, I do permit a select few into the inner circle:D ).

I picked Jeter to win it but Morneau is equally deserving. The vote couldn't had gone wrong with either one. Jeter as I heard was class as always in acknowledging Morneau winning the honor. Just what you would expect from the man. Jeter is Jeter, all class all the time and imo the best overall player in pro baseball.

Runs: Jeter 118, Morneau 97; advantage Jeter

Hits: Jeter 214, Morneau 190; advantage Jeter

Doubles: Jeter 39, Morneau 37; a wash

Triples: Jeter 3, Morneau 1; a wash

HR: Morneau 34, Jeter 14; huge advantage Morneau

RBI: Morneau 130, Jeter 97; huge advantage Morneau

TB: Morneau 331, Jeter 301; advantage Morneau

Walks: Jeter 69, Morneau 53; advantage Jeter

Strikeouts: Morneau 93, Jeter 102; a wash

Steals: Jeter 34, Morneau 3; huge advantage Jeter

OBP: Jeter .417, Morneau .375; advantage Jeter

SLG: Morneau .559, Jeter .483, advantage Morneau

AVG: Jeter .343, Morneau .321, advantage Jeter

The numbers reflect the obvious - Morneau was more of a power hitter who contributed by driving in runs; Jeter was more of a table-setter.

Jeter gets credit for winning a gold glove at a critical defensive position, and being the captain (for what that's worth; some folks see the "C" on pinstripes and can't help but genuflect) on the team with the overall best record.

Morneau gets credit for leading the Twins to the best record in baseball (71-33) since June 9, hitting .362 (best in ML) with 92 RBI (best in AL) during that span.

This really was a toss-up. Contrary to popular opinion, however, the MVP does not by default go to a Yankee. My guess is that the deciding factors were the fact that Jeter had more help and that Morneau virtually carried the Twins over the last 100 games of the season. That overcame the big-city/big name recognition that automatically goes to any Yankee ithat is being considered.

Both were deserving of consideration, the vote was extremely close, and there wasn't enough difference between the two for anyone but the most biased observer to be upset over. Jeter was extremely gracious in acknowledging Morneau's accomplishment, which is much more than I can say for my friends who are die-hard Yankee fans (yes, I do permit a select few into the inner circle:D ).

That's exactly right, it's not the "What Have You Done For Me Lately" award...

Justin is most deserving. Now, what is an MVP. Most Valuable Player. Was Jeter the MVP of the Yankees? Yes. Was Morneau? Maybe. Remember that Santana won the Cy Young. What about what Mauer had done for the Twins? Is'nt he more deserving? Two voters voted Jeter 6th and the other 4th. The guy in Chicago that voted Jeter 6th gave a reason that Jeter was average and anyone on that team could be an MVP. OK, what about the Twins? Three guys could have been the MVP. So, I'll stand by my statement that Jeter got hosed. Jeter carried the Yankees into the playoffs. He willed them into the playoffs. That's a true MVP. Jeter isn't a name, he's a player that, just so happens to be on one of the most hated teams in MLB.

I haven't looked at Pujols' numbers. I'm not sure I'd vote anyone over Pujols...ever. However, I did think Howard was deserving...

Pujols was even out for some of the season and still put up good numbers. Howard did have the better season and was a help to the Phillies.

Pujols was even out for some of the season and still put up good numbers. Howard did have the better season and was a help to the Phillies.
Howard's power numbers were better, but he also K'd considerable more the Pujols.

Howard had a great year and Pujols, is a candidate every year. I think the debates over "shoulda" or "coulda", are great for the game and create interest, which MLB certainly needs.

I'm not saying Morneau wasn't deserving. I'm kinda wondering if the criteria has changed.

Back in the day, the MVP voting was very much a popularity contest. If it hadn't been, Teddy Ballgame would have won 5 MVPs instead of two:

Williams (BOS) 141 runs, 186 hits, 36 HR, 137 RBI, .358 BA, .548 SLG, won triple crown

Gordon (NYY) 88 runs, 173 hits, 18 HR, 103 RBI, .327 BA, .491 SLG, 95K (most in AL), won MVP

Williams (BOS) 32 HR, 114 RBI, .343 BA, won triple crown

DiMaggio (NYY) 20 HR, 97 RBI, .315 BA, won MVP

Williams (BOS) 25 HR, 127 RBI, .369 BA

Boudreau (CLE) 18 HR, 106 RBI, .355 BA

Point being that the MVP voting appears to be a little bit more reasonable now than it used to be.