January 16, 20197 yr It seems like EJ Montgomery is playing with more confidence as well. Talking with my Dad and brother during the game and we all agreed how well EJ, Baker & Richards have been playing lately. Seems those guys are starting to really buy in and embrace their roles.
January 16, 20197 yr Talking with my Dad and brother during the game and we all agreed how well EJ, Baker & Richards have been playing lately. Seems those guys are starting to really buy in and embrace their roles. With both Richards and Montgomery playing much better lately. I honestly would like to see Cal have either Montgomery or Richards on the floor more often. Have at least one of them on the floor with either Reid or Washington most of the game. Having one of them in gives them a shot blocker in at all times, which helps the defense.
January 16, 20197 yr Defense is starting to play well, which is key to Cal's teams. That's a really good sign. They probably are not going to beat a Top 25 team without Keldon but he only shot 6 times. Others played well, he was off, you get up comfortably, so he defers to others. Actually, nice to see a 20 point win when your best scorer doesn't score. Solid road win.
January 16, 20197 yr How likely do you think it is that he'll put up another goose egg this season? They played very well last night. Outside of Johnson and Travis, everyone else played really well. I'd say highly unlikely, but I guess it's better now than in March.
January 16, 20197 yr With both Richards and Montgomery playing much better lately. I honestly would like to see Cal have either Montgomery or Richards on the floor more often. Have at least one of them on the floor with either Reid or Washington most of the game. Having one of them in gives them a shot blocker in at all times, which helps the defense. Travis is starting to become concerning to me. He can't play a lick of defense and he's incapable of scoring (or rebounding) against length.
January 16, 20197 yr Travis is starting to become concerning to me. He can't play a lick of defense and he's incapable of scoring (or rebounding) against length. Agreed! That's why I would like to see at least Richards or Montgomery in most of the game. Instead of Washington and Travis on the floor at the same time. I think it would allow Washington to play to his ability more, if he is not on the floor at the same as Travis too. I personally would love to see Washington and Richards together more, and then Montgomery and Travis.
January 16, 20197 yr With both Richards and Montgomery playing much better lately. I honestly would like to see Cal have either Montgomery or Richards on the floor more often. Have at least one of them on the floor with either Reid or Washington most of the game. Having one of them in gives them a shot blocker in at all times, which helps the defense. My buddies and I are wondering if maybe Richards will replace Reid in the starting lineup to help counter the slow starts lately. Travis is starting to become concerning to me. He can't play a lick of defense and he's incapable of scoring (or rebounding) against length. He seems to struggle again the taller athletes in the SEC and top teams. Solid piece and we definitely need him, but we need Richards to play at a much higher level for a true shot, in my opinion.
January 16, 20197 yr My buddies and I are wondering if maybe Richards will replace Reid in the starting lineup to help counter the slow starts lately. He seems to struggle again the taller athletes in the SEC and top teams. Solid piece and we definitely need him, but we need Richards to play at a much higher level for a true shot, in my opinion. Agreed. What's weird is Reid had very good games last year when going up against one of the best players in the country in Ayton. Who obviously was much taller and more athletic than him. He also had that big game against UNC. However, he definitely is struggling right now.
January 16, 20197 yr My buddies and I are wondering if maybe Richards will replace Reid in the starting lineup to help counter the slow starts lately. He seems to struggle again the taller athletes in the SEC and top teams. Solid piece and we definitely need him, but we need Richards to play at a much higher level for a true shot, in my opinion. I think if Richards continues to do what he's done these last few games, contest & alter shots, rebound, make the hustle plays, etc., they'll be just fine. They don't need him to be any sort of offensive threat IMO.
January 16, 20197 yr Agreed. What's weird is Reid had very good games last year when going up against one of the best players in the country in Ayton. Who obviously was much taller and more athletic than him. He also had that big game against UNC. However, he definitely is struggling right now. I'm kind of frustrated with him not being able to finish. That said let's look at the last three games: Georgia. 22 minutes. 6 points on 3-7. 5 Rebounds 1 TO and 1 Assist. Vandy. 30 minutes. 5 points on 2-6. 12 Rebounds. 2 Blocks. 2 TO. 1 Assist. A&M. 30 minutes. 6 points on 3-6. 4 Rebounds. 1 Block. 1 Steal. 1 Assist. Alabama. 29 minutes. 12 points on 6-13. 6 Rebounds. 1 Assist. 5 Turnovers. Not stellar but not 0's in the column either. Much more of a "role" player than maybe we thought but against the right team he might prove to be "the" difference maker.
January 16, 20197 yr I didn't get to see the game, but looking at the box score I can't see UK beating top 25 teams with Keldon not scoring. Maybe not but it is impressive to get a 20 point conference road win without him scoring.
January 16, 20197 yr I'm kind of frustrated with him not being able to finish. That said let's look at the last three games: Georgia. 22 minutes. 6 points on 3-7. 5 Rebounds 1 TO and 1 Assist. Vandy. 30 minutes. 5 points on 2-6. 12 Rebounds. 2 Blocks. 2 TO. 1 Assist. A&M. 30 minutes. 6 points on 3-6. 4 Rebounds. 1 Block. 1 Steal. 1 Assist. Alabama. 29 minutes. 12 points on 6-13. 6 Rebounds. 1 Assist. 5 Turnovers. Not stellar but not 0's in the column either. Much more of a "role" player than maybe we thought but against the right team he might prove to be "the" difference maker. He's not taking many shots but is hitting a decent %age. I like him in the lineup. If the outside players would learn how to make an entry pass, his scoring would go up. (For the life of me, I can't understand why it seems so difficult to make an entry pass.)
January 16, 20197 yr He's not taking many shots but is hitting a decent %age. I like him in the lineup. If the outside players would learn how to make an entry pass, his scoring would go up. (For the life of me, I can't understand why it seems so difficult to make an entry pass.) You make a good point!
January 17, 20197 yr I don't know if Tyler Herro gets enough credit for how good of a rebounder he is, especially for a shooting guard.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.