December 16, 20187 yr Nice to win again. But I have to ask, how the hell did Oakland beat Pittsburgh?
December 16, 20187 yr I think we can finally put to rest the idea of Driskel being the guy going forward. Dalton will be the guy for at least one more year regardless of who the coach is.
December 16, 20187 yr I think we can finally put to rest the idea of Driskel being the guy going forward. Dalton will be the guy for at least one more year regardless of who the coach is. Why? Do people not remember Dalton having quite a few games like this, where he couldn't hit anyone? Even having games like this even with Green. Shoot in 2014 Daltons 4th season with 40 games experience. Dalron put up a qb rating of 4 against the Browns lol. Driskell was definitely very off today on his third career start. But also was doing that without Green, Eifert, and even Boyd in the second half. We know what Dalton is. An average at best qb, who looks like a backup qb when he doesnt have a lot around him. Still dont know what Driskell is. Today may be who Driskell is. Or today maybe was a day where he was simply really off for the first time. Imo trade Dalton still. Get a draft pick, save money and use that to help elsewhere. Let Driskell play with a healthy Green, Boyd, etc. See what you got. If he sucks with more experience and a whole off season preparing. Then your still set up well for the 2020 draft.
December 16, 20187 yr I think we can finally put to rest the idea of Driskel being the guy going forward. Dalton will be the guy for at least one more year regardless of who the coach is. So true, and I fear Marvin will be there with him. Question: Does John Ross have anything resembling an NFL receiver other than his uni # and speed? Runs bad routes, never becomes a defender, drops almost all passes to him, loves to get ticky-tacky hands in the back penalties, and did I mention looks lost?
December 16, 20187 yr Why? Do people not remember Dalton having quite a few games like this, where he couldn't hit anyone? Even having games like this even with Green. Shoot in 2014 Daltons 4th season with 40 games experience. Dalron put up a qb rating of 4 against the Browns lol. Driskell was definitely very off today on his third career start. But also was doing that without Green, Eifert, and even Boyd in the second half. We know what Dalton is. An average at best qb, who looks like a backup qb when he doesnt have a lot around him. Still don't know what Driskell is. Today may be who Driskell is. Or today maybe was a day where he was simply really off for the first time. Imo trade Dalton still. Get a draft pick, save money and use that to help elsewhere. Let Driskell play with a healthy Green, Boyd, etc. See what you got. If he sucks with more experience and a whole off season preparing. Then your still set up well for the 2020 draft. Driskell is not the answer. He wasn't close to anything deep or sideline outs. He has no touch. Big arm and can throw it through a wall. I love his grit and athleticism, though. I did not mind his only pick because they needed to show they will throw deep. AD should and will be their QB next year., It really should be no debate. However, I know your feelings on AD, so I understand (don't agree) with your thoughts. AD has not been the problem the last two years. Edited December 16, 20187 yr by Bengal Maniac
December 16, 20187 yr Latest CBS mock draft has them taking Dwayne Haskins. I saw that, but they need to take the best LB or OT in the draft. They will be fine with AD and Driskell next year.
December 16, 20187 yr Today's game was another solid defensive performance against a very poor offense. I like ML being aggressive. For the first time I felt the Bengals got some positive calls from the refs. Mixon was really good and playing man with big pass rush worked again. This defense is not built to keep the ball in front of them and tackle. Simple as that. I do believe ML's presence with the defense has helped. Still they beat handily the worst team in the league IMO.
December 16, 20187 yr Why? Do people not remember Dalton having quite a few games like this, where he couldn't hit anyone? Even having games like this even with Green. Shoot in 2014 Daltons 4th season with 40 games experience. Dalron put up a qb rating of 4 against the Browns lol. Driskell was definitely very off today on his third career start. But also was doing that without Green, Eifert, and even Boyd in the second half. We know what Dalton is. An average at best qb, who looks like a backup qb when he doesnt have a lot around him. Still dont know what Driskell is. Today may be who Driskell is. Or today maybe was a day where he was simply really off for the first time. Imo trade Dalton still. Get a draft pick, save money and use that to help elsewhere. Let Driskell play with a healthy Green, Boyd, etc. See what you got. If he sucks with more experience and a whole off season preparing. Then your still set up well for the 2020 draft. Yes Dalton has had games like Driskell had today, but Dalton has also had games where he looks great. I’ve seen nothing from Driskell that says he can have a day like that. I like Driskell a lot, but just as a pretty good backup QB. I don’t think he’s an NFL starter.
December 16, 20187 yr As far as the draft goes, obviously I love Haskins, but I don’t want the Bengals to take him. Id love to get Devin White or Jonah Williams but I think our win today will prevent us from snagging either of those guys. If the Bengals wanted to trade back I also really like Noah Fant the TE from Iowa. Edited December 16, 20187 yr by GrantNKY
December 16, 20187 yr Yes Dalton has had games like Driskell had today, but Dalton has also had games where he looks great. I’ve seen nothing from Driskell that says he can have a day like that. I like Driskell a lot, but just as a pretty good backup QB. I don’t think he’s an NFL starter. You are completely right. There has been games where Dalton looked great. Most of those didnt come until after his 30th career start. Most of those came when he had a Green, Eifert, Jones, Sanu, all on the field at the same time. Which as mentioned he has had some of the worst games in NFL history with those same guys on the field with him. Dalton also had benefitted from having Green to throw to basically his whole career, which helps a lot. That's all my point is. Yes Driskell was bad today, no argument from me. He was completely off on throws that needs to be completed. My point is that shouldn't prove it has to be Dalton. When Dalton had games like that even after 20 to 30 career starts. While Driskell is on start 3. For me I would love to see what he could do with Green and people. At the end of the day we know the ceiling with Dalton. Give him a lot around him. They can beat the teams they are suppose to, but he and the team will struggle against the best teams. We know that's his ceiling after 8 years of data on it. We dont know the ceiling for Driskell. His ceiling really might be as a backup. Or it could be higher than Daltons. What I dont want to hear is well if he was better he would play. Were talking about the same coaching staff. Who seemed to think Tyler Boyd was only a slot receiver and kept starting Lafell over him. The same coaching staff who didnt realize Joe Mixon was the best running back on the team until a year and a half later. Etc. The coaching staff goes with what they know and what is safe. Which is Dalton to a T. For me I'm ready to take a chance to see if someone else could do more with a healthy Green, Boyd, etc. It may not work at all. Which I definitely admit possible. For me Dalton is Lewis. We stuck with Lewis for longer than they should have, and I see that happening with them and Dalton. Dont be reactive and wait, be proactive.
December 16, 20187 yr Driskell is not the answer. He wasn't close to anything deep or sideline outs. He has no touch. Big arm and can throw it through a wall. I love his grit and athleticism, though. I did not mind his only pick because they needed to show they will throw deep. AD should and will be their QB next year., It really should be no debate. However, I know your feelings on AD, so I understand (don't agree) with your thoughts. AD has not been the problem the last two years. That's the thing Dalton is not the problem but also is not the answer. Until today Driskell has looked really good on those out throws you said and even better than Dalton in throwing in tight windows down the seem. Today he was bad. I fully admit I am not saying i know Driskell is the answer. But after 8 seasons, we know Dalton isnt either. Trade him now while you can get something for him still. Driskell does have a lot of potential but can tell his inexperience. Especially down in the red zone. However he also hasnt had the benefit of a Green to throw to his time as a starter as Dalton has. For me if Dalton never had Green. He most likely would have became a backup qb in this league. Having Green helped him a lot. So all I am saying is dont keep waiting for something to change like we have with Marvin. We know Dalton isnt the answer either. Trade him, save money. This qb class coming out isnt great. So dont want to take one just to take one and get it wrong. Let Driskell play next year with Green. See what you have after he had a whole off season preparing. If he does good then awesome. If he sucks, then well your sitting pretty for the 2020 qb class that's much better.
December 16, 20187 yr You are completely right. There has been games where Dalton looked great. Most of those didnt come until after his 30th career start. Most of those came when he had a Green, Eifert, Jones, Sanu, all on the field at the same time. Which as mentioned he has had some of the worst games in NFL history with those same guys on the field with him. Dalton also had benefitted from having Green to throw to basically his whole career, which helps a lot. That's all my point is. Yes Driskell was bad today, no argument from me. He was completely off on throws that needs to be completed. My point is that shouldn't prove it has to be Dalton. When Dalton had games like that even after 20 to 30 career starts. While Driskell is on start 3. For me I would love to see what he could do with Green and people. At the end of the day we know the ceiling with Dalton. Give him a lot around him. They can beat the teams they are suppose to, but he and the team will struggle against the best teams. We know that's his ceiling after 8 years of data on it. We dont know the ceiling for Driskell. His ceiling really might be as a backup. Or it could be higher than Daltons. What I dont want to hear is well if he was better he would play. Were talking about the same coaching staff. Who seemed to think Tyler Boyd was only a slot receiver and kept starting Lafell over him. The same coaching staff who didnt realize Joe Mixon was the best running back on the team until a year and a half later. Etc. The coaching staff goes with what they know and what is safe. Which is Dalton to a T. For me I'm ready to take a chance to see if someone else could do more with a healthy Green, Boyd, etc. It may not work at all. Which I definitely admit possible. For me Dalton is Lewis. We stuck with Lewis for longer than they should have, and I see that happening with them and Dalton. Dont be reactive and wait, be proactive. I don’t have an issue with you wanting to move on from Dalton, I just don’t see the point in moving on from Dalton and replacing him with Driskell who at best isn’t going to be better than AD.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.