Nick Bosa leaving OSU

CincySportsFan

If all those kids truly think they're going to make it to the NFL, then many, many people have failed them along the way, not just coaches. That type of thinking borders on the delusional even if you are 18-22 years old.

What do you expect when you go to Ohio State or Alabama? Call it whatever you want, but it’s the truth. Maybe the 5th string

walkon QB doesn’t think he’s going to the NFL, but the rest of them are working their butts off day in and day out with that dream in mind. That’s why they go to these schools, because they have a track record of putting guys in the league. That’s just how it goes. It’s probably different at other schools but that’s just not the way these top tier schools operate. The coaches are telling these kids, “come here and we can make you the next Joey Bosa, the next Julio Jones, the next Roquan Smith, the next Deshaun Watson. You come here and we’ll get you to where you want to be and you help us get to where we want to be which is winning a national championship.” That’s just how it is and it’s not changing.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of his teammates legitimately have a goal of playing in the NFL? What about the goals of the other 75 kids? I'd be disappointed if one of the of the best players on my team abandoned ship when a Big 10/national championship is in sight. It has to have a negative effect on team morale. I don't see how it couldn't.

If all those kids truly think they're going to make it to the NFL, then many, many people have failed them along the way, not just coaches. That type of thinking borders on the delusional even if you are 18-22 years old.

You know what also would be delusional as you say. If a 8 year old kid dreaming of playing Division 1 ball at a school like OSU. I'm sure most would say the same thing to an 8 year old kid who thinks that. Yet guess what those kids did end up there at OSU. So why wouldn't they also then have dreams to go to the NFL? I think you thinking the majority of D1 kids don't have a goal of going to the NFL is delusional. No one failed them along the way as you stated. Them being at OSU in itself showed it wasn't delusional thinking they can get to OSU. Just like it's not delusional to think they can make it.

I would be willing to bet almost every player who ever played in the NFL. Never really had the mindset of well I need to be realistic I won't ever make it to the NFL. I would bet almost every player who ever played in the NFL, had that as their goal and worked to make it happen. I bet they weren't think eh it probably won't happen.

Shoot I bet even players at UK, and even small D1 schools. Those players probably all still have goals, that they will be the next one noticed at a small school and make it to the NFL. Guess players who make the NFL have to also have that type of thinking. They have to think I will be able to do it. There is nothing wrong about thinking like that either. Which along the way of working toward that goal, they also happen to be getting a college education. So even if they do fail and not make it, nothing was hurt because they still got an education out of it.

Is this any different than what is happening in high schools? A LOT of great athletes quit playing football, basketball, baseball or other sport to pursue just one sport because they are pursuing that college scholarship. Same thing on a different level. Almost every high school can name kids who would have been starting and maybe even great high school players in one sport who quit that team to focus on another team/sport.

Often times a kid will quit because some coach sells the kid on their dream and tells them they need to quit the other sport. Those coaches aren't any different than agents and runners who care more about themselves than the athlete. Heck, there are middle school kids everywhere who are quitting a team because of the dream, or maybe we should say the delusion that someone sells them on.

Bosa is just doing the same thing we are seeing elsewhere from middle school on up - quit a team to pursue a dream. The difference with Bosa is he knows he is going to be a first round draft pick. So he and we know this is no pipe dream, it is a reality. How can you fault the guy?

I understand why but I honestly don't like it. I am still old school enough that loyalty means something to me. I do wish N. Bosa well I think that the Bucks can still win the Big10, make the playoff but this will make it mulch tougher to do. Michigan is better than I thought that they would be and with MSU, playing a Dantoni (name / spelling?) coached team is always a trip to the dentist/root canal. Bosa … I imo was the premiere defender in cfb, if not the best overall player in the country.

I understand why but I honestly don't like it. I am still old school enough that loyalty means something to me. I do wish N. Bosa well I think that the Bucks can still win the Big10, make the playoff but this will make it mulch tougher to do. Michigan is better than I thought that they would be and with MSU, playing a Dantoni (name / spelling?) coached team is always a trip to the dentist/root canal. Bosa … I imo was the premiere defender in cfb, if not the best overall player in the country.

Loyalty 100% matters. But who should Bosa be more loyal to, Ohio State or his family?The Bosas are obviously a pretty well off family to begin with, but this is generational type wealth we are talking about here. Nick Bosa would love nothing more than to be out there with his brothers. I don’t doubt that for a second. But this isn’t even a decision. I don’t know a single person in this world that wouldn’t make the same exact decision he would.

Just an observation. We seem (myself included) to be much more concerned about this stuff in football than in basketball.

Basketball is much more an individual game than football is. Outside of the QB, you don’t really see individual players in football standout from the group in the same way basketball players do. We are used to seeing these kinds of decisions from basketball players.

But I think most blamed his father for that. LiAngelo wasn't leaving college otherwise.

It was meant as joke.

I agree with you, I can't think of anybody actually leaving a team in basketball prior to the end of the season to prepare for the draft. Jared Vanderbilt could be an example, depending on who you choose to believe regarding whether he really was medically cleared to play or not. I think he only played the few games he did last year due to the pressure he received to play.

Loyalty 100% matters. But who should Bosa be more loyal to, Ohio State or his family?The Bosas are obviously a pretty well off family to begin with, but this is generational type wealth we are talking about here. Nick Bosa would love nothing more than to be out there with his brothers. I don’t doubt that for a second. But this isn’t even a decision. I don’t know a single person in this world that wouldn’t make the same exact decision he would.

Exactly. Bosa owes OSU nothing, and many of his team mates would likely do the same thing in his position.

I understand. I was talking about my / personal feelings on it. I wish him the best.