Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Could Girls Season Move to Spring?

Featured Replies

I saw someone online mentioning this as a possibility.

 

Shortage of officials and field scheduling issues.

 

Would they move softball to fall?

  • Replies 34
  • Views 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s not uncommon to have boys and girls soccer at opposite times of the year. I think this is how it’s done in Wisconsin.

It’s not uncommon to have boys and girls soccer at opposite times of the year. I think this is how it’s done in Wisconsin.

 

Yep. I know it's a spring sport in my home state. And a quick Google search shows 20 states that play girls soccer in the spring.

 

Major problem with track if they move girls soccer to the spring

 

Maybe so, but it's not unusual for track athletes to also participate in another sport during the spring. And again, almost half the states in the USA have girls soccer coexisting with track in the spring. And I'd say many of those states, track is more of a major sport than it is here in KY.

 

Would they move softball to fall?

 

I don't think they'd need to. I'm not sure the two sports share a lot of athletes to begin with, since at the youth level, you pretty much play one or the other.

  • Author

Julian Tackett said it is not being considered.

Julian Tackett said it is not being considered.
And was quite adamant about it not being considered.

The bigger conflict would be with club soccer. For most high school club teams, the season is November until June. They leave August - October open for the high school season.

 

It would be a disaster to move the school season the same time as the club season.

I was the one that posted the tweet that started this whole thing, but I also said all of this was early and possible and in no way official. Some people read right over those words.

 

Here's the thing: I had a referee from the 4th Region, a player from the 5th and a coach from the 6th all tell me the same thing ... BEFORE I tweeted it out.

 

This very discussion was brought up at the 4th Region/SKY referee assignments meeting.

 

There was also a survey last school year about it. I'm trying to get a copy of it to get the exact wording.

 

The KHSAA might not be actively pursuing it, but that doesn't mean ADs, officials or coaches' associations aren't either.

 

Three different people from separate sides of the state all heard the same thing and there is absolutely positively nothing to it?

 

I'm not sure what it is, but SOMETHING is there.

 

Some guy also wanted to go after me for not doing my due diligence. One, we know the KHSAA is not gonna offer up comments any time anybody wants one (see transfers). Second, it was a tweet discussing scuttlebutt around this, not a bylined article.

 

The KHSAA might not be actively pursuing it, but that doesn't mean ADs, officials or coaches' associations aren't either.

 

Three different people from separate sides of the state all heard the same thing and there is absolutely positively nothing to it?

 

I'm not sure what it is, but SOMETHING is there.

 

if schools and AD's are pursuing it, it is not because it is in the best interest of girls soccer, but rather in the best interest of the other fall sports that compete for resources.

And was quite adamant about it not being considered.
Is that like he was adamant that teams and referees should not shake hands after matches too? ?

Isnt middle school soccer played in the spring around most parts of the state?

I don't think moving girls soccer to spring has anything to do with favoring other fall sports. Because moving GSOC to spring would hurt lacrosse or softball or tennis or track teams which also rely on girls who play soccer.

 

This lack of officials situation is real. Several games were canceled last year because of no available. Others were mischeduled and had to be postponed. Still others were used to getting seasoned and respected refs were suddenly getting newbies who weren't prepared for an intense game.

 

I know several refs who prefer USSF and club compared to KHSAA because of the stuff that you don't have to deal with. Even worse, many games had to go with two-man crews instead of three because of the shortage. Or teams were forced to play on Fridays or Saturday mornings just so they could have somebody to ref them.

 

Paying them more isn't going to go over well when budgets are getting slashed.

 

Getting rid of half the games gets rid of part of the problem, like it or not.

 

Telling the refs to toughen up is NOT a viable solution.

Talked to 2 AD's this afternoon about other stuff and asked them about this. It has more legs than you think according to both of them.

Official shortage is definitely a problem.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.