Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Guard Inbounds or Not Guard Inbounds?

Featured Replies

This question came up in NCAA games this past weekend. In the Michigan Houston game with Houston leading by 2 and 3.9 seconds to go, Houston did not guard the inbounder. Michigan got a 30 foot "catch and shoot" shot off with a man in the face of the shooter. In another game this past weekend (cannot recall which), there was 1.9 seconds left and the leading team did guard the inbounder. The trailing team got off a wide open 30 foot shot by the dribbler bringing the ball up court. So what would you do and why?

 

1. Five seconds or less to go and your team is up by 2 points, offensive team can run the baseline. The other team is taking the ball out under their own basket. How do you defend this inbounds play? Should you guard the player throwing the ball in or not? If you don't guard the player throwing it in, how do you use the extra defender and what is your strategy when they get the ball in?

 

2. Same scenario above except this time the inbounder cannot run the baseline. Same strategy or different?

  • Replies 34
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they can run the baseline don’t guards the inbounds, if they can’t run the baseline guard the inbounds. That pass to Abdur-Rahkman likely can’t be made if you guard the inbounds. The second pass to Poole probably isn’t made and Rahkman has to take a runner driving down the court.

Always guard the guy throwing it in. Always. Giving a free look at a pass is stupid.

 

This along with always fouling up three SHOULD be common practice.

Always guard the guy throwing it in. Always. Giving a free look at a pass is stupid.

 

This along with always fouling up three SHOULD be common practice.

Fouling up 3 is something you don't see a lot, but I agree with you it should should be automatic to foul in that scenario up 3.

Always guard the guy throwing it in. Always. Giving a free look at a pass is stupid.

 

This along with always fouling up three SHOULD be common practice.

 

I for the life of me don't know why teams don't do this more. I get it that they probably don't practice it, but they should.

Fouling up 3 is something you don't see a lot, but I agree with you it should should be automatic to foul in that scenario up 3.

 

Syracuse is the best at this that I've seen...they do it every time.

I'm guarding the inbounds pass regardless.

 

I am too. If I'm Kentucky, I put someone like Vanderbilt or Sacha Killeya Jones. They won't get a steal and probably won't tip the pass, but you stop them from throwing the direct pass that they want.

I for the life of me don't know why teams don't do this more. I get it that they probably don't practice it, but they should.

 

It absolutely should be practiced. It's remarkable more teams don't do it.

Houston defense was perfect. They forced the guard to come back to the ball to get it. The "extra" defender stopped the ball and made him pass and they contested a 25 foot prayer that went in. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the point but Houston did everything right IF you're playing off the ball.

 

Just like any other defense, there's a right way and wrong way to do it and it's up to the coach to coach it right. Just like under your own basket, most coaches will put the defender that is on the ball under the basket or in the lane but some will put them straight up on the ball and pressure the pass.

 

Several factors but I think in terms of the passer. If it's 2 seconds or less and he's making a "baseball" pass, I really don't think the defender is effecting that pass very much because the inbounder can go back as far as he wants. In the Houston situation, personally I would put someone on the ball because it makes that 30-40 foot pass tougher, especially with a spot throw-in but they defended it as well as you could.

I for the life of me don't know why teams don't do this more. I get it that they probably don't practice it, but they should.

 

I would bet that every team practices whatever the coach's philosophy is in that situation.

In 1992 Pitino did not guard the inbounds pass. In 1998 Tubby did not guard the inbounds pass. Both had different outcomes. The answer is situational, but I would guard it.

Always guard the guy throwing it in. Always. Giving a free look at a pass is stupid.

 

This along with always fouling up three SHOULD be common practice.

 

I agree if it's between 2 and 4 seconds. If you can guarantee that window, then I agree. Many factors but I would not want to do it too soon. If you foul too soon, you can then lose the game by giving another possession to the other team. I think that's why you don't see it all the time. Where is the ball? What is the time?

I would guard a stationary inbounder every time. It typically forces the inbounder to throw the ball sideways.

 

After a made shot I prefer the extra defender on the floor, because it's easy for the passer to get away from him, then he is in no position to guard anyone.

I agree if it's between 2 and 4 seconds. If you can guarantee that window, then I agree. Many factors but I would not want to do it too soon. If you foul too soon, you can then lose the game by giving another possession to the other team. I think that's why you don't see it all the time. Where is the ball? What is the time?

 

The ideal situation is that you'd foul, and upon them intentionally missing, the game is over and you win minus a miracle tip in. So to your point, the time does matter.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.