Track the Coaching Carousel

UKMustangFan

Dumbest move ever to replace a 600-win college coach with an AAU coach. The fall will be hard for Memphis.

You couldn't be more wrong. The fall has already been hard.

Attendance has plummeted down almost 3,500 from Tubby's first year to this year and down almost 6,000 from Pastner's last year. This is their lowest attendance since 1970. If Memphis averages more than 10,000 they get an $800,000 bonus from the Grizzlies. They get a reduced amount if the attendance is between 6,000 and 10,000. They get nothing below 6,000. Final attendance numbers haven't been announced but they are right around that magical 6,000 number in order to get something from the Grizzlies. Along with that donations have been reported to be down. Keeping Tubby is financially punitive for a program that needs every dollar.

Of course maybe .... just maybe ... things get better next year .... team gets better, attendance gets better, donations pick up. etc. In order to believe that you have to put your hopes in Tubby's recruiting, which has never been something he is willing to do. They have two verbal commits right now - 2 star Myreon Jones and 3 star Conner Vanover (kid is 7-4). Good luck with things turning around with Tubby next year.

The team had a KenPom of #160 this year. They aren't good now and there will be more of same next year.

Penny may or many not be a good coach, but because he can recruit there will be hope. Hope alone will drive more dollars and attendance to program. Whether it is sustainable, who knows; however, hiring Penny is definitely best short term.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if he recruits the New York Knicks. Unless you can coach, you're not winning at the Division I level.

Maybe Louisville should go ahead and hire Ellis Myles or Brandon Bender. I'm sure they can both get players.

I don't care if he recruits the New York Knicks. Unless you can coach, you're not winning at the Division I level.

Maybe Louisville should go ahead and hire Ellis Myles or Brandon Bender. I'm sure they can both get players.

I thought you liked Tubby? :D

I know Penny is the (sentimental) favorite and a tremendous ambassador for the Memphis area, but the dude has never coached collegiality as an assistant, just at the high school and AAU level for a handful of years. Well connected dude, though, and will get money back into the program.

I'd wish Penny the best but there is so much that goes into college coaching. I'd have a hard time hiring someone that didn't have any experience in the collegiate game as an assistant. I was hoping maybe Penny would come to UK and be on staff. Learn from the master and be a coach for Memphis in later years haha!

I'm sure he'd build some excitement though.

You couldn't be more wrong. The fall has already been hard.

Attendance has plummeted down almost 3,500 from Tubby's first year to this year and down almost 6,000 from Pastner's last year. This is their lowest attendance since 1970. If Memphis averages more than 10,000 they get an $800,000 bonus from the Grizzlies. They get a reduced amount if the attendance is between 6,000 and 10,000. They get nothing below 6,000. Final attendance numbers haven't been announced but they are right around that magical 6,000 number in order to get something from the Grizzlies. Along with that donations have been reported to be down. Keeping Tubby is financially punitive for a program that needs every dollar.

Of course maybe .... just maybe ... things get better next year .... team gets better, attendance gets better, donations pick up. etc. In order to believe that you have to put your hopes in Tubby's recruiting, which has never been something he is willing to do. They have two verbal commits right now - 2 star Myreon Jones and 3 star Conner Vanover (kid is 7-4). Good luck with things turning around with Tubby next year.

The team had a KenPom of #160 this year. They aren't good now and there will be more of same next year.

Penny may or many not be a good coach, but because he can recruit there will be hope. Hope alone will drive more dollars and attendance to program. Whether it is sustainable, who knows; however, hiring Penny is definitely best short term.

A die-hard Memphis alum couldn't have said it better. If Penny can recruit, which I believe he will do, and he hires good assistants, which I believe he will do, he will win. Larry Finch (who was a senior, my freshman year) came back to coach Memphis and had a successful career. I really hoped Tubby would work out, but the whole situation just seemed odd. From what I have heard, he wasn't engaging the community, and he wasn't recruiting hard enough. He did coach this year's team up, and they had a 8 out of 10 finish, but after their leading scorer went out for the season. With him they were barely above .500. Why didn't they do better when they had all their players. There were just a lot of questions, and Tubby wasn't very forthcoming with the answers. He didn't seem to want to be there.

He'll walk away with some nice coin.