Track the Coaching Carousel

UKMustangFan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wiseman maybe, Jeffries ain't gonna happen.

I still like Cal's chances with Wiseman, regardless of what happens with Penny.

In addition to these two, there are two other recruits that Penny getting the job will impact (assuming we are interested), Chandler and Jonathan Lawson. Chandler is in the class of 2019 with Wiseman and Jeffries and also plays on Team Penny. Chandler (like Jeffries) is a small forward. Jonathan is class of 2021 (I think) and is also a small forward. I believe Jonathan is believed to be the best of the Lawson boys (older brothers Dedrick and KJ transferred from Memphis and will play for Kansas next year - Dedrick should be one of the best players in the Big 12 next year). The Lawson's and Jeffries are cousins. This is why Tubby demoting Keelon Lawson (the dad) from an assistant coach to a staff position to make room for Saul was such a big deal. It caused Tubby to loose his best player in Dedrick, a solid player in KJ, and assured he was out of the running for 3 of Memphis' best players in future classes.

Although ultimately it may have no impact, Penny getting the head coach is not a good thing for Cal landing Memphis players in the coming years.

I know Penny is the (sentimental) favorite and a tremendous ambassador for the Memphis area, but the dude has never coached collegiality as an assistant, just at the high school and AAU level for a handful of years. Well connected dude, though, and will get money back into the program.