Holy Cross 55 Newport 54 (9th region quarterfinals)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy Cross 15 15 13 12 - 55

Newport 19 14 11 10 - 54

Holy Cross-

Schrand 18, 4 assts

J. Niehaus 12, 6 rebs, 5 assts

Zimmerman 9

Knochelman 8, 7 rebs

N. Niehaus 6

Wood 2

Newport-

Harding 13, 8 rebs

Burries 12

Miller 12

McGuire 10, 8 rebs

White 7

Rebounds

HC - 31

N- 38

FTs

HC - 7/10 - 70%

N - 10/16 - 63%

3 pts

HC - 8/19 - 42%

N - 4/13 - 31%

Turnovers

HC - 4

N - 7

Newport actually beat Holy Cross twice this season - Jan. 19 @ Newport - 84-66, and Jan. 26 in Latonia 83-67. These games were probably played without HC Point Guard Jordan Niehaus.

Newport ran out to a quick 8-0 lead before the Indians fought back to tie it at 17-17.

It seemed to me like Holy Cross was more patient than normal, controlled the pace, restricted Newport's run game, kept it close and found a way to win.

Burris was a non-factor during the first half with only 2 points. Tried to take over the game late with some success, finished with 12.

Huge win for Coach Schrand and the Indians.

Frustrating loss for Coach Snapp who has had his share of them this season.

Oh man, the "we get no respect" gang can't be thrilled. I disagree with Pops, I think this is an upset. Holy Cross is solid, no doubt, but Newport should have had enough to get this game.

Congrats to Coach Schrand and the boys -- happy for you Ryan.

Absolutely an upset. If we are going by talent, I don't think one player for Holy Cross starts for Newport.

Newport has the ball up 3 with 0:40 left. Then had the ball ip 1 with 0:25 left. What happened? Missed FTs?

Newport was 1/3 free throws with 1st miss coming on a 1 and 1. Schrand had a layup for 2. Then the 3 free throws by Zimmerman to win. All in last 40 seconds

Definitely a non call on the last drive. Can’t call that to end a big game. Fun game though after watching the first two blowouts between the teams. Holy Cross controlled the pace much better tonight and Newport never adjusted to faceguarding Burris. I got that last drive on my Snapchat sitting courtside if anyone wants to see it from a few feet away. tonyniehaus on snap

The only play I wasn’t thrilled with was with Newport up 53-50, Schrand droves and Harding blocks its off of Schrand out of bounds and HC retained possession. They follow that with a layup off the inbound to make it 53-52. I think that was a crucial call.

The only play I wasn’t thrilled with was with Newport up 53-50, Schrand droves and Harding blocks its off of Schrand out of bounds and HC retained possession. They follow that with a layup off the inbound to make it 53-52. I think that was a crucial call.

Yeah that was actually with the score 54-52 and a huge missed call if it did go off Schrand because after that they called a timeout and the next play was the Zimmerman deep 3 that he got fouled and made all 3 to take lead. I got that drive on my snap too but it’s hard to see if it goes off Schrand from my view definitely looked like it might have.

So yeah Newport could be a little upset with ending and refs. Ball off Schrand then foul shooting 3 then non call on drive to end it. They had plenty of chances to win it with free throws and taking care of the ball though too so no one to blame but themselves I think.

Yeah that was actually with the score 54-52 and a huge missed call if it did go off Schrand because after that they called a timeout and the next play was the Zimmerman deep 3 that he got fouled and made all 3 to take lead. I got that drive on my snap too but it’s hard to see if it goes off Schrand from my view definitely looked like it might have.

So yeah Newport could be a little upset with ending and refs. Ball off Schrand then foul shooting 3 then non call on drive to end it. They had plenty of chances to win it with free throws and taking care of the ball though too so no one to blame but themselves I think.

I won’t disagree.

I've seen HC play twice. They don't pass the eye test on size, but they play as confident as any team I've watched. They throw in 3's from 26 ft like its a high percentage shot. Fun team to watch. Good for them!