Holy Cross 55 Newport 54 (9th region quarterfinals)

I would say this was an upset to everyone but HC. I heard nothing but Newport was going to the finals once the draw was released. HC with no big time stars played probably the 2nd best game of their season. First year in a while that HC's boys team is playing longer than the girls team. I honestly wont be shocked if HC makes it to the finals. Congrats to Ryan, his staff and the team on a big win.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only play I wasn’t thrilled with was with Newport up 53-50, Schrand droves and Harding blocks its off of Schrand out of bounds and HC retained possession. They follow that with a layup off the inbound to make it 53-52. I think that was a crucial call.

We thought it went of Schrand’s hand too. From where we were sitting it looked like it was blocked right back into him and went off his hand as he was falling out of bounds. Based on the reaction of the Newport players, they apparently saw the same thing.

Bummed for all involved with Newport program. Have to look at it as a good year even though they left a little meat on the bone. As someone said earlier, HC does not pass the eye test, but they play well together. Congrats to them "Play for Clay".

Newport will have (3) solid, experienced Seniors next year, looking forward to another fun ride.

Go (blue) Colonels !

Edited by World B Free

Excellent game to watch, albeit a slower, more defensive game. Holy Cross played confident and poised in all the big moments. Newport missed free throws late, and had 2 crucial turnovers in the last 2 minutes. Holy Cross took care of the ball, and hit FTs. That was the difference in the game, imo. Great season by Newport and Coach Snapp. Cant argue with 24 wins and the first district title in 30+ years.

Look forward to seeing what Schrand and the Cross can cook up for the semi-final. They have some excellent guards.

Definitely a non call on the last drive. Can’t call that to end a big game. Fun game though after watching the first two blowouts between the teams. Holy Cross controlled the pace much better tonight and Newport never adjusted to faceguarding Burris. I got that last drive on my Snapchat sitting courtside if anyone wants to see it from a few feet away. tonyniehaus on snap

Will this game be discussed on Roto Grinders??

I called it! I think Newport has good players but no strategy and no set plays to get Burries open! That is not the players fault! Holy Cross had a game plan and it worked! Congrats to them!

Are we sure that Wahl just didn't play a great defensive game against his assigned player? He was magnificent last night. As was Knochelman on the interior.

Are we sure that Wahl just didn't play a great defensive game against his assigned player? He was magnificent last night. As was Knochelman on the interior.

Yes I am sure it wasn’t just Wahl. It’s easy to just faceguard someone if you don’t have to worry about the other coach running anything for the player you are guarding. Would have been a completely different story if they were screening him and getting him some post looks. But he did execute the gameplan well I’ll give him that. As for Knockleman he was struggling all night. He’s just too scared and soft to be a threat.

Yes I am sure it wasn’t just Wahl. It’s easy to just faceguard someone if you don’t have to worry about the other coach running anything for the player you are guarding. Would have been a completely different story if they were screening him and getting him some post looks. But he did execute the gameplan well I’ll give him that. As for Knockleman he was struggling all night. He’s just too scared and soft to be a threat.

Wow. I happen to like both kids, and think both are underrated, but even if you disagree with me, does that really need to be said? To each their own, I suppose, but I don't see the redeeming value in cutting down a couple of kids, particularly after they just won a huge game for their school.

Wow. I happen to like both kids, and think both are underrated, but even if you disagree with me, does that really need to be said? To each their own, I suppose, but I don't see the redeeming value in cutting down a couple of kids, particularly after they just won a huge game for their school.

Exactly. I prefer to think that Holy Cross won the game, not that newport lost it.

But, if we are subscribing to that theory, I don’t assume that Newport coach drew up the late turnovers, missed free throws, and foul on the final 3. Though, I could be wrong.

Holy Cross played their butts off and won the game. Good game plan, good game played by the boys.

Oh man, the "we get no respect" gang can't be thrilled. I disagree with Pops, I think this is an upset. Holy Cross is solid, no doubt, but Newport should have had enough to get this game.

Congrats to Coach Schrand and the boys -- happy for you Ryan.

I’ll keep repeating this while they are playing so well. Ryan took and takes a lot of criticism. Came up with a great game plan and for whatever reason Newport didn’t try to adjust. They were happy playing 4 on 4. What HC has done with Schrand is pretty impressive. The kids, especially the seniors, have stepped up big time.

Are they on here checking out the forums getting their feelings hurt? its Varsity basketball I think people can give an opinion without worrying about a kids feelings or is that the place this world is at these days?

I’ll keep repeating this while they are playing so well. Ryan took and takes a lot of criticism. Came up with a great game plan and for whatever reason Newport didn’t try to adjust. They were happy playing 4 on 4. What HC has done with Schrand is pretty impressive. The kids, especially the seniors, have stepped up big time.

Agree with this completely Schrand took a ton of heat the last couple of years and I have been tough on him as well so when he does well I give him credit too and last night his plan was on point. Newport had zero game plan and should take some criticism with that much talent on the roster. Holy Cross Seniors carried them and made huge play after huge play from the opening tip they are a different team playing with that senior swag at the guards.