Herm Edwards to Arizona State

All State Baseball

I don't think Herm will have any issues recruiting. He's a great speaker, and has the charisma to woo athletes and parents. I certainly think they'll get a nice bump in talent, but Herm's going to have to win or it won't matter how charming he is.

Have you been to Tempe? Anyone that has understands why people say it's an easy place to recruit to.

I have and I know the reputation of the school. I also know that no one has ever successfully recruited to Arizona State, even though it is supposed to be easy to do. I'm not buying that Herm Edwards is the guy to get that done.

I have and I know the reputation of the school. I also know that no one has ever successfully recruited to Arizona State, even though it is supposed to be easy to do. I'm not buying that Herm Edwards is the guy to get that done.

It's not like Arizona State is Kansas though. They have been a perennially average program that has a made a big bowl game every 6-7 years. They are just waiting for someone to come and act on the potential everyone believes the program has. Herm is a likable guy, coached in the NFL, and people want him to succeed. That's why I think most people think its a good hire.

It's not like Arizona State is Kansas though. They have been a perennially average program that has a made a big bowl game every 6-7 years. They are just waiting for someone to come and act on the potential everyone believes the program has. Herm is a likable guy, coached in the NFL, and people want him to succeed. That's why I think most people think its a good hire.

What do you consider a big bowl game? I just looked at their history and they haven't made what I would consider a big bowl in 20+ years...

What do you consider a big bowl game? I just looked at their history and they haven't made what I would consider a big bowl in 20+ years...

It looks like you're right. I didn't take the time to go back and look at what bowl games they had been to it just seemed like I heard more about them than what I actually did I guess. Either way they make a bowl most years, so its not like there isn't anything to work with.

Because Herm has reinvented himself while at ESPN and he has turned into a likable guy and people want to see him succeed. We are generally more positive about the chances of people we like.

I can say this with no remorse. There is no one I have loathed at ESPN more than him. The guy loved the sound of his own voice more than anyone ever. He did nothing as a coach to warrant being on so many shows except that he’s incredibly good at flapping his jaws.

If he’s truly gone to ASU, I say good for all other PAC 10 schools and myself as a listener to ESPN radio. Sorry for ASU fans. It won’t work.

Regarding recruiting to ASU, I'm not sure how it worked for Frank Kush: "Welcome to ASU. See that mountain right there. I'm going to make you run up that mountain until you puke."

Kush was the toughest college football coach in the nation during his 22 seasons at ASU. He made Bear Bryant and Woody Hayes look like pussycats. He got fired mid-season in 1979 for grabbing his punter's face mask and punching him. But he actually helped make ASU what it is, not just the football team but the entire academic institution that it is. It wasn't even a university until he pushed for it. Former players (including Danny White and Mike Haynes) all hated him while they played for him but later appreciated what he taught them.

Perhaps Herm Edward's recruiting slogan could be: "Come to ASU 'cause I ain't no Frank Kush."

I like Herm, I hope does well in Tempe.

But like mentioned above, the recruiting part is a whole new game for him.

I like Herm as well; but I see this a being a big train wreck waiting to happen. Herm is old school and recruiting is not an old school persons business.