Covington Catholic 54 Lexington Catholic 53

CovCath loses a big lead, game goes back and forth in the last 2 minutes, and the Colonels hold on for a 1 point win.

Ruthsatz was very, very good for the Colonels. Payne and Price were really good for the Knights.

A road win at LexCath, not at full strength, is a good way to start the season.

CovCath will have to handle the press a LOT better to have the year they hope to. TONS of bad live-ball turnovers, and credit LexCath for being really good with their press and creating those turnovers.

Both teams should have bright seasons.

Mentsch-

Good synopsis- think LC did what they wanted shutting down Fredrick & big kid (Walter). The little point (Ruthsatz) just killed them. The Price kid never gets credit for his play . But without him, they aren't near as good

AJ Mayer - 6’3” Sr 3

Michael Mayer - 6’5” So 4

Luke Lenihan - 5’11” Sr 1

Luke would help with pressure and the Mayer’s would erase the offensive rebounds that LC enjoyed tonight. AJ is a starter, the other two will figure in rotation prominently.

With that said, there was plenty of talent in blue tonight. Plenty of room for improvement. Good to have teaching tape to share and a win.

Credit to LC for battling for the duration.

Edited by Samcro

Thielen, Fleek, and Walter will likely score most of their points on assisted layups, putbacks, and running in transition. Lex Cath did a great job limiting CCH's second shots and creating turnovers in the backcourt - which really limited CCH's front court production.

CJ was off tonight - would like to see Davin look to score more - especially against the zone.

Ruthsatz was clutch.

Thielen, Fleek, and Walter will likely score most of their points on assisted layups, putbacks, and running in transition. Lex Cath did a great job limiting CCH's second shots and creating turnovers in the backcourt - which really limited CCH's front court production.

CJ was off tonight - would like to see Davin look to score more - especially against the zone.

Ruthsatz was clutch.

Great point on the bigs - thats the only way they can score in CCH's guard oriented offense. Otherwise Walter would be putting up 20 per game.

Ruthsatz will be clutch all year as teams focus on stopping Frederick.

Anyone have a boxscore & stats?

I will take a really bad stab on some CCH stats until someone can post official stats.

STARTERS

Ruthsatz with 20+ and the difference in the game

Fredrick: 14 to 18 (??)

Thelen: 5

Walter: 4

Davin: 0 (or for 1 shooting)

BENCH

Fleek: 7 points and I'm guessing he led the team in rebounds

Nowak: no shots taken

Deere: no shots taken

I don't believe anyone else played.

IMO - Lenihan is the one who would have made a difference against the press.

Considering it was their first game and they have only had one scrimmage, it was a nice away win for the Colonels against a top 20 team in the state.

Zane Payne for Lex Cath was a unstoppable and will cause trouble for teams all season!

Ruthsatz 27pts (carried them)much improved from last year. He will be able to get more shots this year will CVH gone

Fredrick 11pts (he is going to find it harder to score this year with the focus now on him. Last year most teams best defenders were guarding CVH and this benefited CJ)

Fleek 7pts (going to be hard to keep him off the floor, I like his game)

Thelen 5pts

Walter 4pts

Both Mayer boys will help with rebounding when they get finished with football

Would love to see Lenihan get involved, he brings a lot of energy and toughness. But I'm not sold on CCH giving him the opportunities to play much. I would say Fredrick, Ruthsatz, and Walter are going to play 90% of the minutes most games (unless they are blowouts). That only leaves two spots for rotations for Fleek, both Mayers brothers, Davin, N Thelen, and Lenihan. Then you still have Nowak, L Thelen, and Deere. I just don't see CCH playing that many players on most nights.

Ruthsatz 27pts (carried them)much improved from last year. He will be able to get more shots this year will CVH gone

Fredrick 11pts (he is going to find it harder to score this year with the focus now on him. Last year most teams best defenders were guarding CVH and this benefited CJ)

Fleek 7pts (going to be hard to keep him off the floor, I like his game)

Thelen 5pts

Walter 4pts

Both Mayer boys will help with rebounding when they get finished with football

Would love to see Lenihan get involved, he brings a lot of energy and toughness. But I'm not sold on CCH giving him the opportunities to play much. I would say Fredrick, Ruthsatz, and Walter are going to play 90% of the minutes most games (unless they are blowouts). That only leaves two spots for rotations for Fleek, both Mayers brothers, Davin, N Thelen, and Lenihan. Then you still have Nowak, L Thelen, and Deere. I just don't see CCH playing that many players on most nights.

I'm not sure Walter plays as much when the Mayers get back - I think CCH will want to play up tempo for chunks of the game - which will work best for AJ/Michael and their other bigs, all of whom can really run.

I will take a really bad stab on some CCH stats until someone can post official stats.

STARTERS

Ruthsatz with 20+ and the difference in the game

Fredrick: 14 to 18 (??)

Thelen: 5

Walter: 4

Davin: 0 (or for 1 shooting)

BENCH

Fleek: 7 points and I'm guessing he led the team in rebounds

Nowak: no shots taken

Deere: no shots taken

I don't believe anyone else played.

IMO - Lenihan is the one who would have made a difference against the press.

Considering it was their first game and they have only had one scrimmage, it was a nice away win for the Colonels against a top 20 team in the state.

Zane Payne for Lex Cath was a unstoppable and will cause trouble for teams all season!

Zane Payne...is this really the kid's name? If so, that is awesome.