Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The State of SEC Basketball (so far in 2017)

Featured Replies

How can one be "a fan of the SEC" does the SEC play an all star game between the other conferences?

 

So you're telling me you don't like to see other teams in the Big 10 succeed? If I'm OSU I want my conference to be good that way my wins are more meaningful than those from other conferences.

 

There are no such people...

 

My foot, Dabo Sweeney says all the time how the ACC is the best conference in football.

Florida is outstanding, and I've really been impressed with Texas A&M as well. Alabama's back court is excellent, but I'm curious to see if they can carry them all season. UK is talented this year, but I'm not expecting a deep run in March. Curious to see how the return of Vanderbilt will impact the Cats.

 

The conference has improved quite a bit, and that's coming off an unexpected Final Four appearance from South Carolina a year ago.

So you're telling me you don't like to see other teams in the Big 10 succeed? If I'm OSU I want my conference to be good that way my wins are more meaningful than those from other conferences.

 

 

 

My foot, Dabo Sweeney says all the time how the ACC is the best conference in football.

I certainly don't go out of my way to root for them. I actively root against Michigan, Wisconsin, and Penn State and the rest I could honestly care less about. OSU beating whoever is on their schedule is all I care about. There will be top 25 teams on the schedule every year whether the conference is good or bad. Even when Jim Tressell basically destroyed the Big 10 there were still 2-3 top 25 teams from the Big 10 on OSUs schedule. It doesn't matter to me at all. Zero. Drive north across the Mason Dixon line and you won't find a single person who gives a damn about the Big 10 conference as a whole. You think the rest of the conference loves it that OSU is good? Hell no. But everyone down south outside of Auburn loves that Alabama is good. As a fan of Kentucky you should want to see Alabama knocked off their pedestal. I'm not telling you how to go about you fandom, but I think it's silly to act like conference affiliation is some sort of badge of honor and that it matters on the outcomes of games. If you want to root for all of the SEC schools then by all means knock yourself out. But it doesn't matter.

 

With regards to Dabo what is he supposed to say? The ACC sucks? Of course he is going to say good things about the conference. Every coach in the country talks about how great their conference is.

  • Author
There are no such people...

 

:lol2:

  • Author
I certainly don't go out of my way to root for them. I actively root against Michigan, Wisconsin, and Penn State and the rest I could honestly care less about. OSU beating whoever is on their schedule is all I care about. There will be top 25 teams on the schedule every year whether the conference is good or bad. Even when Jim Tressell basically destroyed the Big 10 there were still 2-3 top 25 teams from the Big 10 on OSUs schedule. It doesn't matter to me at all. Zero. Drive north across the Mason Dixon line and you won't find a single person who gives a damn about the Big 10 conference as a whole. You think the rest of the conference loves it that OSU is good? Hell no. But everyone down south outside of Auburn loves that Alabama is good. As a fan of Kentucky you should want to see Alabama knocked off their pedestal. I'm not telling you how to go about you fandom, but I think it's silly to act like conference affiliation is some sort of badge of honor and that it matters on the outcomes of games. If you want to root for all of the SEC schools then by all means knock yourself out. But it doesn't matter.

 

With regards to Dabo what is he supposed to say? The ACC sucks? Of course he is going to say good things about the conference. Every coach in the country talks about how great their conference is.

 

I spent a decade in central Indiana and I heard about Big 10 Basketball until my ears bled. Maybe it's not a big thing with Ohio St fans, but back when IU and Purdue was good their fans were all over how great the Big 10 was.

:lol2:

Find me one... the whole conference promotional campaign was started by the SEC. Nobody else falls for that like the SEC does. Clemson doesn't root for FSU or Miami. Ohio State obviously doesn't root for Michigan but they don't root for Wisconsin or Penn State either. Just like Purdue and Rutgers don't root for Ohio State or Boston College and Wake Forest don't root for Clemson. But by golly UK fans root for Alabama because of some made up sense of conference pride and bogus claim of shared southern hospitality.

I spent a decade in central Indiana and I heard about Big 10 Basketball until my ears bled. Maybe it's not a big thing with Ohio St fans, but back when IU and Purdue was good their fans were all over how great the Big 10 was.

Indiana and Purdue? Who are they? Haha

Does it just mean more in SEC basketball now too? :lol2:

Amazing what some good coaches and better players can do for you. Who knows if it will translate into NCAA success (something I have always found dumb in evaluating conference strength), but the SEC is much improved.

 

Yes and yes. Since the SEC Network went on the air, the athletic departments have spent that new money on big time coaching upgrades. There are more good coaches in that league right now than I can ever remember.

Find me one... the whole conference promotional campaign was started by the SEC. Nobody else falls for that like the SEC does. Clemson doesn't root for FSU or Miami. Ohio State obviously doesn't root for Michigan but they don't root for Wisconsin or Penn State either. Just like Purdue and Rutgers don't root for Ohio State or Boston College and Wake Forest don't root for Clemson. But by golly UK fans root for Alabama because of some made up sense of conference pride and bogus claim of shared southern hospitality.

 

Not trying to be a smart butt but do you know for sure that some of these fans don't root for their conference. I personally don't know many fans outside of the main ones, (UK, UL, Duke, UNC). I wouldn't really know if Clemson fans rooting for other teams in their conference.

Edited by bugatti

Does it just mean more in SEC basketball now too? :lol2:

 

We mute commercials during games now. SEC network really needs some new ads.

Not trying to be a smart butt but do you know for sure that some of these fans don't root for their conference. I personally don't know many fans outside of the main ones, (UK, UL, dUKe, UNC). I wouldn't really know if Clemson fans rooting for other teams in their conference.

They do. The SEC just made it obnoxious because they brought home the football hardware 7 years in a row, so they had some room to gloat. If conference affiliations didn't matter to anyone else then conferences wouldn't exist. In turn, Grant, et al. will root against SEC schools because of it; thus, doing the exact same thing they say only SEC schools, and care about conference affiliations.

 

You know I love you, Grant :thumb:

They do. The SEC just made it obnoxious because they brought home the football hardware 7 years in a row, so they had some room to gloat. If conference affiliations didn't matter to anyone else then conferences wouldn't exist. In turn, Grant, et al. will root against SEC schools because of it; thus, doing the exact same thing they say only SEC schools, and care about conference affiliations.

 

You know I love you, Grant :thumb:

The fans of Alabama, Auburn, Florida, and LSU had room to gloat. It was the fans of the other schools in the conference who piggybacked the success of those schools and claimed it as a shared sense of accomplishment because they all play each other. That's what annoys me.

It's funny how a thread that was intended to ask whether the SEC had gotten over the hump and may actually be a solid basketball conference this season, turns in to a thread about "why would you support other teams in your conference."

 

I don't get it, damn near the whole thread has been a bashing of the SEC as well as SEC fans that hope the other conference teams do well for the better good of the conference. The fact that the SEC is playing really good ball this season seems to have been lost among all of the bashing of the conference or anyone that supports the teams within the conference.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.