The State of SEC Basketball (so far in 2017)

Jumper_Dad

Texas A&M 6-0 wins over #11 WVU and #10 USC

Alabama 5-1 no signature win but a gutsy loss to Minnesota (3 on 5 game) Colin Sexton is a stud

Miss St 5-1 no big wins but no embarrasing losses either

Kentucky 6-1 played decent against a pretty good Kansas team, youngest team in NCAA

Arkansas 5-1 beat UConn and Oklahoma and played UNC pretty well before losing

Florida 5-1 beat Standford and Gonzaga and should have beaten #1 Duke...Florida is loaded and should win SEC

Georgia 5-1 with a win over #21 St. Marys...good start to the season for UGA

Auburn 4-1 best win Indiana St and loss was to Temple

Ole Miss 4-1 loss to Utah

South Carolina 4-1 with a head scratching loss to Illinois State

Tennessee 4-1 beat NC State and #18 Purdue and should have beaten #5 Villanova

Missouri 5-2 with losses to Utah and a close loss to #23 WVU...losing Michael Porter will really take a toll

LSU 3-2 beat Michigan and then loss to #13 Notre Dame and Marquette...kudos on playing good teams out of conference

Vanderbilt 2-4 against a pretty decent schedule so far...but they will be around a .500 at best on the year.

While it is still very early I think from what we have seen so far there are a few teams in the SEC this season that can play and will have a chance to do damage in the NCAA's the way South Carolina did last season. I'm very encouraged by how some of the teams have played so far especially Tennessee, Florida, Texas A&M, Arkansas and even Alabama.

So how will the SEC do this season? Is the SEC finally on the upswing in basketball as a league?

Think they might edge out the ACC this season for the best conference. Kentucky, Florida, Texas A&M, Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri, and Georgia are all NCAA tournament teams.

I've been really impressed with Florida and Texas A&M thus far.

Is there a new trophy given out for the best conference? Otherwise why does that even matter?

Is there a new trophy given out for the best conference? Otherwise why does that even matter?

Well considering the last 5+ years the SEC had been called the weakest of the Power 5 conferences, now this year they're arguably the best. I find that satisfying as a fan of the SEC.

Florida, Texas A&M, Kentucky, and Arkansas can play with anyone in the country and would be my picks for the top 4 seeds in the SEC. Tennessee, Alabama, LSU, South Carolina and Missouri could be in the that second 4 but we'll need some time to see how things shake out. The conference is for sure on an upswing.

I know you are on a crusade to end people talking about conferences, but conference strength does matter when it comprises over half of your schedule. It is very much on the minds of the committee.

Florida, Texas A&M, Kentucky, and Arkansas can play with anyone in the country and would be my picks for the top 4 seeds in the SEC. Tennessee, Alabama, LSU, South Carolina and Missouri could be in the that second 4 but we'll need some time to see how things shake out. The conference is for sure on an upswing.

I think Alabama is in the top 4 seeds as well, guard play means a lot come March and Collin Sexton is one of the best if not the best.

Well considering the last 5+ years the SEC had been called the weakest of the Power 5 conferences, now this year they're arguably the best. I find that satisfying as a fan of the SEC.

How can one be "a fan of the SEC" does the SEC play an all star game between the other conferences?

I know you are on a crusade to end people talking about conferences, but conference strength does matter when it comprises over half of your schedule. It is very much on the minds of the committee.

Not nearly as much as folks down south would lead to you believe.