Johnson Central 43 Wayne County 24

bugatti

Final score was JC 43 Wayne County 24. Golden Eagles won the turnover battle 2-0. A pick six by Devin Johnson and muffed punt by Wayne County turned the momentum and the Cardinals could never recover. JC never trailed in the game after both teams exchanged opening punts.

JC advances to 3rd straight state title game after defeating Wayne County in third straight state semifinal meeting between the two. Hats off to Wayne County seniors on remarkable careers.

Congrats to Coach Matney and the Golden Eagles. Scary thing is they are still very young and will be even better the next two years.

Final score was JC 43 Wayne County 24. Golden Eagles won the turnover battle 2-0. A pick six by Devin Johnson and muffed punt by Wayne County turned the momentum and the Cardinals could never recover. JC never trailed in the game after both teams exchanged opening punts.

JC advances to 3rd straight state title game after defeating Wayne County in third straight state semifinal meeting between the two. Hats off to Wayne County seniors on remarkable careers.

Congrats to Coach Matney and the Golden Eagles. Scary thing is they are still very young and will be even better the next two years.

Thanks for the excellent recap.

Congrats Golden Eagles!

Wayne County has a great football program everyone, great season Cardnials.

Hate to say I told you so but if the shoe fits.

I predicted pretty close in the prediction thread that JC would control the game. Wayne is a GREAT football team but their size disadvantage was going to be hard.

JC is like a sledgehammer once they get that offense moving and I figured they would ware down Wayne.

Congratulations to Wayne on a great season.

Good luck to Johnson Central next week.

When the realignment happens maybe they will move to 5A!

Johnson Central will.

Until then; these might be my two most favorite programs in the state. Unfortunately one had to lose.

What Coach Thompson has transformed this Wayne County program into is nothing short of amazing.

For so long they were a traditional .500 or below program, and a very rural county at that.

They went through several years of .500 +/- even after he was hired. Flash forward to 2011 and the ball started rolling only to keep picking up steam.

He and his staff IMO are maybe the most underrated in the state.

With that said; congrats to Coach Matney and Johnson Central. After years of having to battle CovCath and Highlands, it’s great to see this mountain school winning like they are.

When the realignment happens maybe they will move to 5A!

I think they will move to 5A, although I guess a few requests from other schools could potentially knock them down to 4A. Either way, they'll be close to the cut line.

Wayne County has now lost three consecutive state semifinal games to Johnson Central. That is so tough for a program that is right on the verge of becoming a Kentucky power. Hard to describe what a great job Shawn Thompson has done at Wayne.

I think they will move to 5A, although I guess a few requests from other schools could potentially knock them down to 4A. Either way, they'll be close to the cut line.

Wayne County has now lost three consecutive state semifinal games to Johnson Central. That is so tough for a program that is right on the verge of becoming a Kentucky power. Hard to describe what a great job Shawn Thompson has done at Wayne.

Trust me, Johnson Central knows the feeling. Wayne has a wonderful program.

I wouldn’t expect to see Johnson Central in 5A in the next alignment.

They are currently the largest 4A school in the state based on 4 year averages but Highlands and Cov. Cath are both below them and play up in 5A.

That coupled with the fact that no EKY school is seeing enrollment numbers increase and the majority of them (espically in coal country where Central is are decreasing) it would be difficult to move them.

A logical scenario I could see is if Highlands and Cov. Cath don’t play up then maybe JC gets bumped but that would not really help Wayne’s chances either.

The Cardinals and the Eagles May be stuck together for the next alignment also IMO