BluegrassPreps.com 8th Region Boys Basketball Preview

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ColonelMike-Good Job on the 29th and 32nd. I disagree somewhat with the evaluation of the 30th and 31st.

Coby Penny much improved!

You'll have to talk to Warrior about the 30th and 31st! LOL

Seriously, I do agree that Spencer will be a force. REALLY like what Burns has done down there. I also agree that depth will be the Achilles Heel for that team....they can't afford much in the way of injuries. Still, a region berth will require some additional "stretch", with two really good Anderson and Collins teams in the district. The Bears showed potential last year; they have to take a step up this year to advance.

Collins has a terrific first five....but concerns on that front line and bench. BUT...as we said....all the top teams have question marks. Which team answers more of the questions probably wins it all.

And....the idea that Cobe is MUCH improved is SCARY, isn't it?

Thank you! Wow, this was very informative and took a lot of time! Really appreciate it. Since the 8th region is so spread out, this really helps us to get to know more about teams and players not necessarily in our area. I know girls basketball is not followed by as many, but do either of you two know enough about the girls to do something similar in their forum? Even if it is just a smaller version? Thank you again. Great work!

Seriously, I do agree that Spencer will be a force. REALLY like what Burns has done down there. I also agree that depth will be the Achilles Heel for that team....they can't afford much in the way of injuries. Still, a region berth will require some additional "stretch", with two really good Anderson and Collins teams in the district. The Bears showed potential last year; they have to take a step up this year to advance.

Collins has a terrific first five....but concerns on that front line and bench. BUT...as we said....all the top teams have question marks. Which team answers more of the questions probably wins it all.

Agreed Cobe is much improved.

He will be a problem for most teams.

Great work as always Mike!!!

IMO your top 2 will not win the region.

Winner will come from Collins, Anderson and Simon Kenton. I’m really not sure Drury and staff can win it without a lucky shot.

Cobe is POY.

There will be lots of well-informed folks disagreeing about the favorites, but I think the one constant is this: EVERYONE thinks POY is Cobe's to lose. And I agree.

By the way, thanks to all for the very kind comments. It was a group effort; Warrior and I met to figure out the order; spent a long time on the phone. We literally talked over all 17 teams in great detail. I took care of the individual write-ups on the 29th and 32nd district teams and Warrior took care of the individual write-ups on the 30th and 31st district teams. Then I put together the final draft.

Of course, many, many thanks to the 8th region coaches who responded to my requests for information. Would have been a very sparse write-up, indeed, had they not been so cooperative!

CM

Thanks again for the kind words everyone, and CM worked his butt off on this article, another thanks to the coaches for their responses. Should be a very competitive year in the 8th region.

:thumb: :thumb:

You two did awesome. I have great respect for both of you and you all delivered. BGP is blessed to have people like you that will take so much time and effort to give each team and their players the respect for the sport they love.

Reallly look forward to following you and keeping up with the 8th region.

I think we're all going to love this season....if your idea of fun is a really competitive region, then this should be a fun year.

Key Games to watch in DECEMBER:

12/1/17 - Simon Kenton vs. Mason County

12/2/17 - Spencer County vs. Taylor County

12/2/17 - Collins vs. Gallatin County

12/5/17 - Oldham County vs. Anderson County (Pegasus Sports)

12/5/17 - Walton Verona at Gallatin County

12/5/17 - South Oldham vs. Spencer County

12/8/17 - Walton-Verona vs. Anderson County

12/14/17 - Anderson County vs. South Oldham

12/15/17 - Oldham County vs. Walton-Verona (Pegasus Sports)

By the end of December, some early answers will start to come in....but of course, we'll still be wondering about the teams with a lot of football players still getting into basketball shape.

Of course, some teams we didn't rank as highly, will have opportunities to impress us early. For example:

12/2/17 - North Oldham vs. St. Xavier

12/5/17 - North Oldham at Male

12/8/17 - North Oldham at Bardstown

12/15/17 - North Oldham vs. Spencer County

Win a few of those and the Mustangs will make a case for being under-rated to begin the season in this poll.

And on 12/8/17, Henry County travels to 31st district rival Gallatin County with a chance to make some early season noise.

We'll be watching.

The annual December question: What teams will start slower due to football?